OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

Seriously though, I would be happy with Eustachy or even Majerus. I think both would be good hires. Maybe John Groce, but I don't see him leaving now that Ohio has made the Sweet 16.

Depending on who you talk to that will be the last guy we speak with. I hope they get their asses kicked this weekend so we can talk to him on Sunday and he can tell us yes or no. He was interested in speaking with us, then he made a run in the NCAA's and he's cooled a little as people think he might want something better. If he would have lost the first or second game I think he would have been ours.

Seriously though, I would be happy with Eustachy or even Majerus. I think both would be good hires. Maybe John Groce, but I don't see him leaving now that Ohio has made the Sweet 16.

Depending on who you talk to that will be the last guy we speak with. I hope they get their asses kicked this weekend so we can talk to him on Sunday and he can tell us yes or no. He was interested in speaking with us, then he made a run in the NCAA's and he's cooled a little as people think he might want something better. If he would have lost the first or second game I think he would have been ours.

That's kind of a catch-22 there, because his appeal comes from being able to take a team like Ohio to the Sweet 16. Otherwise, most folks wouldn't have given him the time of day.

And I want us to pull the trigger on Eustachy--badly. He's a big name (for both the right and wrong reasons), he'll initially be a bargain, and if we're worried about him and Co-Eds, you put in a morality clause and be done with it.

Plus, hasn't Eustachy reached out to NU to express interest? If no one else is willing to dance with us...

Go talk to Bruce Weber.

Why would we want a B1G coach that just got fired?

Rick Majeras is the man. Go get him T.O.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Why not???? Knows the lay of the land. Recruited talent to Illinois. Did it at Southern Illinois before that. Oh, he is a little more stable in the health department than Majerus.

And pretty sure NU is in no point basketball wise to be choosey ifproven quality coaches are fired and availible.

Larry Eustachy is the only guy that would be a hire that makes me go :clap of the canidates that NU truely can land.

I guess the thing I don't get about this particular search is the need to find someone who has ties to Nebraska. It's not like Nebraska is like some former great that has fallen on hard times. We've been bad FOREVER. What exactly would be so wrong about getting someone who has no ties to that? I mean, it was hysterical to read the writeup in the paper on Jeter and go "ok at least there isn't some obvious Nebraska tie that is a reason he's in the mix" and then read on to see that his uncle played football here. This isn't six degrees of Kevin Bacon. We can hire a dude who's oblivious to how bad we've been and still have success.

I agree...I hate how it seems like we are searching for someone that has to have ties to the university in some way. I don't believe in that at all. We need to look for the best possible coach for the situation and price. Even though they say money isn't an issue, we'll see about that. I just don't want to see us hire Altman because he is from NE and has been to the tournament a few times. We gotta go with a big name while we can. There are a lot of good coaches out there right now and if we don't get one, we'll be back in the same position we were with Doc....Six years of mediocre basketball. I am just concerned that I'm going to be disappointed with the hire if they base it on going after someone with NE roots.

After looking at the coaches who have turned down NU already...it's looking like it's going to be disappointment anyway. Expect another 'Sadler' type of hire. But that's Nebrasketball, isn't it.

I guess the thing I don't get about this particular search is the need to find someone who has ties to Nebraska. It's not like Nebraska is like some former great that has fallen on hard times. We've been bad FOREVER. What exactly would be so wrong about getting someone who has no ties to that? I mean, it was hysterical to read the writeup in the paper on Jeter and go "ok at least there isn't some obvious Nebraska tie that is a reason he's in the mix" and then read on to see that his uncle played football here. This isn't six degrees of Kevin Bacon. We can hire a dude who's oblivious to how bad we've been and still have success.

I agree...I hate how it seems like we are searching for someone that has to have ties to the university in some way. I don't believe in that at all. We need to look for the best possible coach for the situation and price. Even though they say money isn't an issue, we'll see about that. I just don't want to see us hire Altman because he is from NE and has been to the tournament a few times. We gotta go with a big name while we can. There are a lot of good coaches out there right now and if we don't get one, we'll be back in the same position we were with Doc....Six years of mediocre basketball. I am just concerned that I'm going to be disappointed with the hire if they base it on going after someone with NE roots.

After looking at the coaches who have turned down NU already...it's looking like it's going to be disappointment anyway. Expect another 'Sadler' type of hire. But that's Nebrasketball, isn't it.

Actually, we don't know of any coaches who have turned us down. We have Barf-Neck's furtive attempt at relevance and then we have T.O.'s public statement today. Until we really KNOW something for sure, I'll take T.O.'s version of events thus far.

By BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:00 pm

<snip>

That list includes Ohio coach John Groce, whose Bobcats play North Carolina on Friday night in the Midwest Region semifinals of the NCAA Tournament. Groce, in his fourth season at Ohio, has led the Bobcats to a school-record 29 victories. He's 85-55 at Ohio, with three straight postseason appearances, including two NCAA Tournament trips.

Other names to watch over the coming days include Colorado State coach Tim Miles, Oral Roberts coach Scott Sutton and Wisconsin-Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter.

LINK

Article by Rosenthal. Pretty much all the same names being discussed in this thread.