OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

I have a new name to add to the list: Jay Wright. Currently he is the coach of Villanova. Most of his teams have been to the NCAA's and last year he was a coach everyone wanted. This year his team only won 13 games and fans are restless. He makes 2M or so and isnt from this area. However, he seems like a coach that would welcome the challange and would be a great fit here. I emailed TO and mentioned him and actually got a response. I know it its a long shot but he would be my pick

I have a new name to add to the list: Jay Wright. Currently he is the coach of Villanova. Most of his teams have been to the NCAA's and last year he was a coach everyone wanted. This year his team only won 13 games and fans are restless. He makes 2M or so and isnt from this area. However, he seems like a coach that would welcome the challange and would be a great fit here. I emailed TO and mentioned him and actually got a response. I know it its a long shot but he would be my pick

that would be amazing, but what was said in his/or whoevers response?

It was just a response to be nice, but still lol

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your e-mail. I will take your thoughts under advisement.

Best wishes,

Tom Osborne

Tom Osborne | Athletic Director

University of Nebraska Athletics

One Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE 68588-0120

It was just a response to be nice, but still lol

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your e-mail. I will take your thoughts under advisement.

Best wishes,

Tom Osborne

Tom Osborne | Athletic Director

University of Nebraska Athletics

One Memorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE 68588-0120

Tom saw the email and his secretary (if she is still there) typed and sent it back to you. She is a cutie when you talk to her.

Danny Nee was on a roll Thursday.

The former Nebraska men's basketball coach (1987-2000) recalled some wonderful days for Husker hoops. He rattled off some of his high-caliber players -- legit NBA guys. Yeah, NU used to have legit NBA guys who led the Huskers to multiple NCAA Tournaments. Some of us remember those days well. Sadly, others are too young.

Looking back, perhaps we didn't realize how good we had it.

"People liked us because we won," Nee said. "They liked us because they liked watching Eric Piatkowski throw down a jump shot, or Clifford Scales split the defense, or Rich King throw down a dunk, or Tony Farmer throw down a dunk. You know what I mean?"

Continue Reading

Didn't see this mentioned this morning, but Andy Katz mentioned Nebraska in his three-point play? Or whatever the column is called. Said the top 3 were Dana Altman, John Groce, and Tim Miles. Katz also reported later that a source indicated Dana Altman would be staying put. Also had reportedly told admin and Phil Knight about his decision.

At this point, I'd be fine with any of them. Give them time, see what they can build.

Feather in my cap. :D I gave him that source. Also At least he's not afraid to write something as opinion or as a chance, then go back and state he's found out otherwise. He didn't even have to accuse anyone of lying.

And the Altman saga continues...

Oregon coach Dana Altman declined to close the door Thursday night on whether he has interest in the men's basketball job at Nebraska.

Altman, in a phone interview while recruiting in Houston, was asked about an ESPN.com report by Andy Katz via an anonymous source that Altman will stay at Oregon and not consider a return to his home state.

After a pause, the former Creighton coach and Wilber, Neb., native said:

“Uh, I'm not going to talk about anything. I didn't talk to Andy when he called. I didn't talk to anybody. I just don't want to talk about anything or get anything started.”

When Altman was told that his “no comment” would leave room for speculation, the Oregon assistant media services director who was monitoring the call cut off the interview.

“I'm sorry that we can't go any further with that line of questioning,” Chris Geraghty said.

Continue Reading

Didn't see this mentioned this morning, but Andy Katz mentioned Nebraska in his three-point play? Or whatever the column is called. Said the top 3 were Dana Altman, John Groce, and Tim Miles. Katz also reported later that a source indicated Dana Altman would be staying put. Also had reportedly told admin and Phil Knight about his decision.

At this point, I'd be fine with any of them. Give them time, see what they can build.

Feather in my cap. :D I gave him that source. Also At least he's not afraid to write something as opinion or as a chance, then go back and state he's found out otherwise. He didn't even have to accuse anyone of lying.

Oregon coach Dana Altman declined to close the door Thursday night on whether he has interest in the men's basketball job at Nebraska.

Altman, in a phone interview while recruiting in Houston, was asked about an ESPN.com report by Andy Katz via an anonymous source that Altman will stay at Oregon and not consider a return to his home state.

“Uh, I'm not going to talk about anything. I didn't talk to Andy when he called. I didn't talk to anybody. I just don't want to talk about anything or get anything started.”

When Altman was told that his “no comment” would leave room for speculation, the Oregon assistant media services director who was monitoring the call cut off the interview.

“I'm sorry that we can't go any further with that line of questioning,” Chris Geraghty said.

Continue Reading

Lee is like a little yapping dog trying to protect his turf from the bigger neighbor dogs. He's set to report the opposite of almost everyone else to remain a part of the story. If you've noticed he's been two or three days behind every other news source and had to change half of what he first reports.

I think in this case Altman is trying not to hurt TOs search by putting out something that he's not interested. Lee was trying to get him on record saying he had turned the job down. Dana has not even been contacted at this point. At least that's what I was told by someone in the AD last night.

Sounds as though we have at least 2 guys who really want the job although I'm not privy to which ones. I would guess its Jeter, Miles or Amaker. I think Sutton is probably 50/50 depending on Tulsa. And we have two coaches who want to at least have a conversation who are still playing. I would guess unless something strange happens we'll have a coach next week. Folks close to the search feel pretty good about things. I guess they aren't reading Lee's crap. :)

Lee is inventing story lines. From Andy Katz yesterday.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7721633/source-oregon-ducks-dana-altman-passes-nebraska-cornhuskers

Oregon coach Dana Altman will remain Ducks coach and not entertain the thought of going back to Nebraska, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com Thursday.

Altman, who was highly successful at Creighton in Omaha and whose wife's family is from the state, was considered to be one of the top choices to succeed the fired Doc Sadler.

According to the source, Altman told Oregon's administration as well as Nike CEO Phil Knight that he would stay with the program.

According to sources, Nebraska is expected to focus on Colorado State's Tim Miles and Ohio's John Groce, whose team plays North Carolina in the Sweet 16 in St. Louis Friday.

Continue Reading

Lee is like a little yapping dog trying to protect his turf from the bigger neighbor dogs. He's set to report the opposite of almost everyone else to remain a part of the story. If you've noticed he's been two or three days behind every other news source and had to change half of what he first reports.

I think in this case Altman is trying not to hurt TOs search by putting out something that he's not interested. Lee was trying to get him on record saying he had turned the job down. Dana has not even been contacted at this point. At least that's what I was told by someone in the AD last night.

Sounds as though we have at least 2 guys who really want the job although I'm not privy to which ones. I would guess its Jeter, Miles or Amaker. I think Sutton is probably 50/50 depending on Tulsa. And we have two coaches who want to at least have a conversation who are still playing. I would guess unless something strange happens we'll have a coach next week. Folks close to the search feel pretty good about things. I guess they aren't reading Lee's crap. :)

Assuming Groce is one of those still coaching..........can you hazard a guess on who the other might be....?

Hope he is in town just to interview. I just can't see them making a move before the Tourney is getting closer to being over so they get a chance to interview everyone or at least speak seriously with everyone and have them say no.

I just don't know what is up with college basketball where you have a school willing to put in money, has or is building the facilities and still no one is willing to come here. Maybe college basketball recruiting is dirtier than I originally thought.

There is no question in my mind that with the right guy we can be more successful than we have been but settling for plan B guys is not the answer. We need to find the right guy. I don't claim to know much about the search and maybe Miles is the right guy to lead us to Tourney wins and the like but we have a window right now to get this thing going we really need to find the guy to get it done!