OFFICIAL Possible Basketball Coaches Thread

TOBull, I covered and gave props to Minnesota for their top notch hockey program. But outside of that they've nothing of note in any of the sports you listed since 1960. That's 52 years ago if my math is correct. Anything top of the line produced 52 years ago is by definition obsolete by today's standards regardless if we're talking about athletics or anything else.

TOBull, I covered and gave props to Minnesota for their top notch hockey program. But outside of that they've nothing of note in any of the sports you listed since 1960. That's 52 years ago if my math is correct. Anything top of the line produced 52 years ago is by definition obsolete by today's standards regardless if we're talking about athletics or anything else.

Thats T_O_Bull or T_O_B or even just Plain Bull S-R. Here's your 52 year history...

• Football (6):

• Men's Ice Hockey (7):

1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

• Women's Ice Hockey (4):

2000, 2004, 2005, 2012

• Baseball (3):

, 1964

• Men's Golf (1):

• Wrestling (3):

2001, 2002, 2007

Give these guys their due. And again I basically think Minnesota should be a providence of Canada. SE SD is so windy, not good for my golf game, because Minnesota sucks so bad.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Does anyone have any ideas on why we can't hire a great men's basketball coach?

What is your definition of a "great" basketball coach?

For the longest time our baseball team was as bad as our men's basketball team currently is. Then we hired the guy who was three head coaches ago and right now his name completely eludes me. Point is, he was hired and made Nebraska baseball competitive in the NCAA tournament with even a couple of appearances in the college world series. The point is if it can be done in baseball it can be done it in basketball.

Dave Van Horn is his name. At the time Van Horn was the "hot" up-and-coming mid-major coach having success in the Southland Conference at NW Louisiana State.

Depending on your definition of "great" coach, Van Horn wasn't considered the 2nd coming of Augie Garrido. He was just the "hot" new guy hoping to prove that he could compete with the big boys in a major baseball conference when he arrived at Nebraska.

Van Horn's rise through the ranks is the basketball equivalent of Ben Howland or Bill Self.

Ever since Bob Davaney came and we ended up with back to back NC's Nebraska has been a football school. After Davaney Osborne gave us 25 years of success. Never winning less than 9 games a season and many of those years were 9 win seasons when a team didn't play 11, 12 or 13 games in a season. Nebraska also went to 25 straight bowl games and the Osbourne Era ended with three more NC's in his last 4 years. When your fan base doesn't really notice that BB is being played until sometime around mid-January and there is maybe 6 weeks of the season left and then combine that with mediocre teams... Well there you have it. What coach wants to come into a situation like that?

T_O_B

G>B>R

So what came first, the chicken or the egg? I don't believe the explanation of why we can't hire a great men's basketball coach is because we're a "football" school. We have an awesome women's volleyball team--which plays to packed arenas during football season, the women's basketball team is rising, we are very good to great in wrestling, solid in soccer, swimming, and gymnastics.

The women's teams are where they are due to Title IX. Ever heard of it? Schools have been told to spend money on women's athletics. Again what 'great coach' wants to come into a situatioin where his program would be treated as an afterthought? The football team wins, the basketball team doesn't. The fan base doesn't care about BB until the season is almost over. What you believe or don't believe doesn't amount to a small hill of beans. This is how it has been for over 40 years.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Did you even watch NU basketball in the 90's. 40 years??????? . Oh by the way the Bob was sold out for most of that time period

so don't say the fan base doesn't care

Ever since Bob Davaney came and we ended up with back to back NC's Nebraska has been a football school. After Davaney Osborne gave us 25 years of success. Never winning less than 9 games a season and many of those years were 9 win seasons when a team didn't play 11, 12 or 13 games in a season. Nebraska also went to 25 straight bowl games and the Osbourne Era ended with three more NC's in his last 4 years. When your fan base doesn't really notice that BB is being played until sometime around mid-January and there is maybe 6 weeks of the season left and then combine that with mediocre teams... Well there you have it. What coach wants to come into a situation like that?

T_O_B

G>B>R

So what came first, the chicken or the egg? I don't believe the explanation of why we can't hire a great men's basketball coach is because we're a "football" school. We have an awesome women's volleyball team--which plays to packed arenas during football season, the women's basketball team is rising, we are very good to great in wrestling, solid in soccer, swimming, and gymnastics.

The women's teams are where they are due to Title IX. Ever heard of it? Schools have been told to spend money on women's athletics. Again what 'great coach' wants to come into a situatioin where his program would be treated as an afterthought? The football team wins, the basketball team doesn't. The fan base doesn't care about BB until the season is almost over. What you believe or don't believe doesn't amount to a small hill of beans. This is how it has been for over 40 years.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Did you even watch NU basketball in the 90's. 40 years??????? . Oh by the way the Bob was sold out for most of that time period

so don't say the fan base doesn't care

Not hard to sell out a 13,600 seat areana when you have 24,000 students. I don't remember a whole lot being said about BB during the 10 years we lived in Omaha.

Did watch some in 1994 when we won the Big8 Conference Tourney and then lost in the NCAA first round.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Sure hope he brings this guy with him...

Ron Coleman

Assistant Coach, 2011 - Present

Ron Coleman begins his first season with the Rams as an assistant coach. Coleman will work with the guards, be involved in scouting and game preparation along with sharing recruiting responsibilities.

Coleman, a former collegiate standout at Weber State University and Lamar University, joins the Colorado State staff after serving as a top prep and AAU basketball coach in his native Chicago.

"I feel like we hit a home run with Ron joining CSU basketball," said Miles. "He was valuable part of the storied tradition of Illinois high school basketball in recent years. He comes from two great programs: Mac Irvin Fire in AAU basketball and Whitney M. Young, which he helped into a national power in the high school ranks. He is an excellent coach and teacher of the game. He will model the right things for our student-athletes. We are very excited to add Ron to CSU basketball.

A 1992 graduate of Chicago's South Shore Career Academy, Coleman continued his basketball playing career at Weber State, where he saw action in 25 games for the Wildcats as a true freshman during the 1992-93 season. While at WSU, Coleman averaged 8.9 points and 3.3 assists per game while helping the team to a 20-8 record and earning Big Sky Conference Co-Freshman of the Year honors.

Coleman transferred to Lamar University as a sophomore and after sitting out the 1993-94 season (per NCAA transfer rules), he led the Cardinals to a very successful three-year stretch from 1994-97, earning three consecutive first-team all-Sun Belt Conference nods as LU's leading scorer each season, and ranking among the program's top-10 career scorers with 1,316 points in 81 career games.

Coleman earned his degree from Lamar, a bachelor's of applied arts and science, in May of 1997, and began a seven-year professional playing career that saw the 6-4 guard play stints domestically with the NBA's Houston Rockets and the Grand Rapids Hoops of the Continental Basketball Association. Coleman also played overseas in Finland and in the top league in Latvia before returning to the United States to coach in the high school and AAU ranks in talent-rich Chicago.

Since 2005, Coleman has been the head coach of Chicago's AAU Mac Irvin Fire, developing the squad into one of the top AAU programs in the country. Coleman's team earned top-3 overall finishes at the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League in 2009-10. While coaching the Fire, Coleman has developed some of the top prep players in the country, including four McDonald's All-Americans, four Illinois Players of the Year, and 15 players that participated in the NBA Players Association Top-100 camp and the LeBron James Skills Academy between 2007 and 2010.

Coleman has also had much success in the high school coaching ranks in Chicago, first as the head coach at Benjamin E. Mays Academy (2006-07) and most recently the associate head coach at Whitney M. Young Magnet High School.

At Mays, he led the program to a 35-0 season, taking home top honors as the District 299 City Championship before moving to national power Whitney M. Young as the associate head coach. From 2007-11, he helped guide the program to four consecutive national top-25 finishes, and earned an Illinois state championship during the 2008-09 season.

At Young, Coleman was directly responsible for preseason and postseason workouts, and player skill development, polishing the skills of several highly touted collegiate recruits and helping 11 players - Stan Brown (Lamar), Chris Colvin (Iowa State/Arizona State), Luke Hager (UNC-Wilmington), Brian Hall (Northern Illinois), Anthony Johnson (Purdue), Marcus Jordan (Central Florida), Kwai Pearson (UC-Bakersfield), James Reynolds (Rice), A.J. Rompza (Central Florida), Ahmad Starks (Oregon State), and Sam Thompson (Ohio State) – earn NCAA DI scholarships over the past three seasons.

In addition to his work at the prep level, Coleman has trained and developed several of the world's top basketball players, most recently working with Shawn Marion of the Dallas Mavericks leading up to the franchise's 2011 NBA Championship.

Coach Miles on Ron: "I feel like we hit a home run with Ron joining CSU basketball. He was a valuable part of the storied tradition of Illinois high school basketball in recent years. He comes from two great programs: Mac Irvin Fire in AAU basketball and Whitney M. Young, which he helped into a national power in the high school ranks. He is an excellent coach and teacher of the game. He will model the right things for our student-athletes. We are very excited to add Ron to CSU basketball."

T_O_B

G>B>R

Tim Miles resigns after 5 years at Colorado State to become Nebraska’s new basketball coach

By Associated Press, AP

OMAHA, Neb. — Nebraska has hired Colorado State’s Tim Miles as its new basketball coach.

Colorado State athletic director Jack Graham announced Friday night that Miles had resigned so he could take the job with the Cornhuskers. Miles, who toured Nebraska’s facilities on Friday morning, is expected to be introduced at a news conference in Lincoln on Saturday.

The 45-year-old Miles, who replaces Doc Sadler, just finished his fifth year at Colorado State. This season he coached the Rams to a 20-12 record and their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2003. They lost to Murray State 58-41 in their tournament opener.

Miles will take over a struggling Nebraska program that hasn’t won a share of a conference championship since 1950 or played in the NCAA tournament since 1998.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Really wish people would come to the understanding that Tim Miles was the best ACTUAL canidate that NU was realistically looking at. I was skepticle when his name was mentioned, but after looking into his background the guy grows on you and should.

I'm with you, PC. I was never skeptical of him though. I didn't really have an opinion of him to be honest. But like you, I did some further research and understand why he was hired. The potential is there, I just hope the fanbase gives him time to get his ducks in a row to have some success. I said the same thing with the Erstad hire last year. This will take some time, so expect some growing pains along the way.