Big Ten Baseball Championship in Omaha?

Micheal

They toured both Werner and TD. The conference wants a 3 year deal. Werner is offering that, TD is telling them they can do it every other year.

I personally would prefer it downtown. Better surrounding area, more hotels for teams and traveling fans, and most of all more seats for Husker games. I would like to think at least 10K Husker fans would show up for a conference tourney game and even more than that for a championship game. Werner only holds ~9K with only 6500 of them being real seats.

I would think the B1G would be all over hosting this in Omaha. It would without a doubt pull bigger crowds than they get in Columbus no matter which venue in the metro.

It would just be wise for the conference to play their championship where the CWS is. Maybe get some B1G fans halfway interested in the sport.

They toured both Werner and TD. The conference wants a 3 year deal. Werner is offering that, TD is telling them they can do it every other year.

I personally would prefer it downtown. Better surrounding area, more hotels for teams and traveling fans, and most of all more seats for Husker games. I would like to think at least 10K Husker fans would show up for a conference tourney game and even more than that for a championship game. Werner only holds ~9K with only 6500 of them being real seats.

I would think the B1G would be all over hosting this in Omaha. It would without a doubt pull bigger crowds than they get in Columbus no matter which venue in the metro.

It would just be wise for the conference to play their championship where the CWS is. Maybe get some B1G fans halfway interested in the sport.

Yeah, I agree, TD would be much better. Werner is in the middle of nowhere and I don't think that stadium can handle the traffic the B1G tourney would bring. Its a pain trying to get parking for thirsty Thursdays.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, Omaha is a pretty long drive from most Big Ten locales but it might help increase enthusiasm for the sport in the conference. Go for it.

May not be geographically located, but fan wise Nebraska probably makes up well over a third of the entire conference's fan base.

Sadly, this wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true.

well i remember reading somewhere that the attendence for Nebraska'a basbeall game Sunday was roughly 5,200. why the other 6 B1G games that day totaled 5600 combined, other Big Ten schools need to step it up supporting baseball, thats just ridiculous

I also saw somewhere that the Big Ten's conference tournament attendance record is like 12K. Not for a game, the entire tournament.

20K+ will be at the Creighton Nebraska game this season. I would expect at least 12K Husker fans at a conference tourney game if it were at TD Ameritrade, matching the entire tournament recored in a single game.

Lets hope the enthusiam from Husker fans can pull the big 10 into the 21st century. That being the case maybe we can become the lighthouse of baseball in the midwest and attract a number of kids from our area (500 mile radius of Lincoln) who want to play on a contending team. The south sends a lot of players to those teams who currently reside in the top 20 but it doesn't mean good to great players don't grow up in the midwest and north. They just need more and better coaching and time to get to the top level.

Who knows, the tounament might even reach the level of being telecast by BTN. I hear they broadcast BIG sports.....all of the important ones anyway

[sic]

They already announced they're broadcasting the Big 10 Baseball Tournament in its entirety...a month or so ago.

As for the Big 10 Championship in Omaha, I have a feeling we're going to see it alternate between TD Ameritrade and the Minor League Park in Columbus. I don't have a problem with that.

• Fire 1