Big Ten Baseball Championship in Omaha?

Micheal

well i remember reading somewhere that the attendence for Nebraska'a basbeall game Sunday was roughly 5,200. why the other 6 B1G games that day totaled 5600 combined, other Big Ten schools need to step it up supporting baseball, thats just ridiculous

Last weekends total was over 15k for three games, so far this week, after two games, its been around 600.

If they move the tourney to Omaha, I don't see how it would ever leave. I believe that the tourney would draw 15-20K in Omaha. It would be difficult to move that kind of support back to a place that draws 40-50% as many fans.

We cannot allow ourselves to go down this path of thinking. It isn't fair for the rest of the B1G to have the tourney permanently held in one location that is nowhere close to the center of the conference. In our previous life we thought Texass was tossing around their weight to much, in regards to the BXII champ game, and I think we cold be perceived as trying to grab some unfair advantage by trying to keep the tourney to ourselves.

I think it would be cool to have it in TD Ameritrade of course as having the conf champ game where the CWS is held obviously would be preferred. It does not get any bigger than that. Having said that I do think a park the size of Haymarket/Werner is more along the lines of what they conf wants. Much like why the Royals didn't want to play in Rosenblatt anymore and did not want to play in TD Ameritrade they want fans closer to the action and the like. It would be cool to have the conference championship tourney here in Omaha. I know I would try to make it over to watch a game or two if I could since I live in Omaha!

As a father of a son who competed for state championships, I can tell you that there is no better experience than to get teams to a big stage. Getting these teams to TD Ameritrade and seeing what they can expect from fan support and playing where the CWS is, would be huge for the BIG. Most of you are right, you can't hold the championship in one place, you have to rotate it, and by doing so, maybe other areas will want to "out do Omaha" in attendence. I remember the look on my son's face as a freshman walking into the Devany Center and competing in , for him, the biggest venue for his sport the state has to offer. Much like the football championships and playing on TO field at Memorial, it makes you want to come back.

• 2 weeks later...

If they move the tourney to Omaha, I don't see how it would ever leave. I believe that the tourney would draw 15-20K in Omaha. It would be difficult to move that kind of support back to a place that draws 40-50% as many fans.

We cannot allow ourselves to go down this path of thinking. It isn't fair for the rest of the B1G to have the tourney permanently held in one location that is nowhere close to the center of the conference. In our previous life we thought Texass was tossing around their weight to much, in regards to the BXII champ game, and I think we cold be perceived as trying to grab some unfair advantage by trying to keep the tourney to ourselves.

There's a difference here between Texass and Omaha...

1. We aren't asking for "every" championship to be hosted in Omaha... Texass wanted not only the conference offices but "every" sport to be played in Dallas.

2. For baseball to be taken seriously by the BIG offices it needs to be well supported and "if" Omaha is the only place that will put 25K plus butts in the seat then so be it.

3. and lastly, TD is where the pinnacle of the sport is played and what better way is there to help recruitment. (Coach to recruit; umm... you do know young man that we play our championship in the "same" environment that hosts the CWS.)

TD makes perfect sense for a conference that so desires the Biggest Stage.

I say move it to Omaha for good. They do a great job hosting the CWS so there is no reason to believe they can't host the big 10 tournament at TD and do a great job at it. However, I don't see how this would help recruiting nor should that factor in the decision.

I say move it to Omaha for good. They do a great job hosting the CWS so there is no reason to believe they can't host the big 10 tournament at TD and do a great job at it. However, I don't see how this would help recruiting nor should that factor in the decision.

Jaws--they can't host it in Omaha every year, as the MVC has an agreement with TD Ameritrade to host their championship tourney every other year. So the best the B1G can do is to have their tourney hosted when the MVC isn't in Omaha.

Frankly, I think rotating between Omaha and the nice minor league park in Columbus isn't a bad option, to be honest. It keeps us from becoming that which we loathed, infuses a secondary importance to Omaha, and it gives the B1G a much-needed boost in baseball publicity.

Jaws--they can't host it in Omaha every year, as the MVC has an agreement with TD Ameritrade to host their championship tourney every other year. So the best the B1G can do is to have their tourney hosted when the MVC isn't in Omaha.

Frankly, I think rotating between Omaha and the nice minor league park in Columbus isn't a bad option, to be honest. It keeps us from becoming that which we loathed, infuses a secondary importance to Omaha, and it gives the B1G a much-needed boost in baseball publicity.

I guess I didn't know about MVC using the field. The espn article said they played their tournament there last but didn't say they would continue playing the tournament in Omaha. I just don't see them drawing large crowds in Columbus, maybe they would, I don't know.