11 Bizarrely Wrong Beliefs Americans Have About Themselves

The old argument about foreign aid being a trivial 1% of the budget is in my mind crap. When I talk money I talk dollar amounts and what good they could do if re-allocated.

T_O_B

I agree that some foreign aid could be better spent domestically (if spent at all). That said, I think the point of the "less than 1%" fact is that people grossly overestimate the percentage of the federal budget spent in this area.

Earlier this year, Republicans called for defunding the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which in turn funds NPR and PBS. There has meanwhile been a common understanding that CPB funding constitutes significant percentage of the budget . Only 27 percent of respondents recognized that federal spending on public broadcasting represents well under 1 percent of the federal budget (the actual cost is about 1/100th of 1 percent), while 7 percent of respondents thought the costs were over 50 percent of the budget -- which in real terms is the cost of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and interest expenditures combined.

Ha! Wow.

The old argument about foreign aid being a trivial 1% of the budget is in my mind crap. When I talk money I talk dollar amounts and what good they could do if re-allocated.

T_O_B

If we re-allocated foreign aid we could damage or lose major trading partners like Japan or hurt our image in places like Haiti and the Pacific Island countries. Foreign aid is a great and cheaper way to prevent war when it's all said and done. If we give people food and shelter when they are in need they will have a positive image of us and we are less likely to end up in places like Afghanistan losing American and coalition lives. Granted some foreign aid seem to be counter productive like the billions we spend on Israel and Egypt, two countries at odds with each other.

It's no wonder we get the elected representatives we do if the same people taking part in these polls are also voting.

If a person cannot identify the 3 branches of government, they should not be allowed to vote and probably deported.

And the 20% who think the sun revolves around the earth should be deprived of oxygen for a substantial amount of time. That might help clean up the gene pool.

50% of the budget for NPR? Wow!

It's no wonder we get the elected representatives we do if the same people taking part in these polls are also voting.

If a person cannot identify the 3 branches of government, they should not be allowed to vote and probably deported.

And the 20% who think the sun revolves around the earth should be deprived of oxygen for a substantial amount of time. That might help clean up the gene pool.

50% of the budget for NPR? Wow!

That's not fair, I couldn't remember what the Legislative branch was called. But I did know what it consisted of. Can I stayz plz!!!