97 Nebraska vs 97 Michigan (ESPN Poll)

Let's see, after the 1997 season both Nebraska and Michigan were undefeated. Nebraska absolutely crushed a Peyton Manning led Tennessee squad that also featured future all-pro RB Jamal Lewis, Leonard Little, Peerless Price and a slew of other future quality NFL players. Michigan on the other hand barely squeaked by a Ryan Leaf led Washington State. But sure Michigan would have "beaten" Nebraska that year. LOL, only in a delusional Michigan fan's pea sized brain does the notion carry credence.

Does anyone else remember when the AP vote took place in 1997?. IIRC, in 1997 the AP vote took place before Nebraska's bowl game. The AP voters didn't get a chance to see us play, or they surely would have voted us #1. Normally they wait until the season is over to vote--don't they? Am I remembering this right?? Does anyone else remember how this played out?

Also, one of the announcers of the Orange Bowl was Bob Griese. It sounded like he clearly favored Tennessee during the game. Didn't have much of anything good to say about Nebraska, and a couple of times he plugged Michigan and bragged about his kid, Michigan's QB Brian Griese. Bob Griese seemed disappointed that Tennessee lost. At the time I thought it was a total crock of sh#t that CBS would have Griese in the booth at that game. I still think that.

Here's the 97 OB:

Note: Look at the hit by Ralph Brown at the 2:25 mark. Incredible.

Let's see, after the 1997 season both Nebraska and Michigan were undefeated. Nebraska absolutely crushed a Peyton Manning led Tennessee squad that also featured future all-pro RB Jamal Lewis, Leonard Little, Peerless Price and a slew of other future quality NFL players. Michigan on the other hand barely squeaked by a Ryan Leaf led Washington State. But sure Michigan would have "beaten" Nebraska that year. LOL, only in a delusional Michigan fan's pea sized brain does the notion carry credence.

Not only that, but Tennessee went on to win the national championship the following year.

But NUance, I've never really had a problem with Griese. It was annoying, but when it comes to your own kid it's about impossible to maintain impartiality. Maybe he shouldn't have been in the booth, but I can't hold it against him.

Michigan by two touchdowns

Reality check Bucky...

Washington St still had a great opportunity at the end of the game until Leaf had YET ANOTHER of his inexplicable brain farts on 4th down on the last drive. That game was an even match-up.

And I was in attendance at the Tennessee thrashing and believe me, we could have NAMED the score had T.O. desired........

But NUance, I've never really had a problem with Griese. It was annoying, but when it comes to your own kid it's about impossible to maintain impartiality. Maybe he shouldn't have been in the booth, but I can't hold it against him.

I have more of a problem with CBS than Griese. Sure, if Bob Griese wants to be considered a professional journalist he should be expected to maintain impartiality. But there's no way he could be impartial given that his son was in the mix for the MNC. I blame CBS for putting him in the booth, and creating the situation. CBS must cover a dozen bowl games. Couldn't they have sent him somewhere else?

Would've been a good game either way. Interesting bit in the comments:

Michigan beat 7 top 25 teams and 4 in the top 10. Nebraska beat 4 top 25 teams and two in the top 10.

Common Opponents:

Baylor; Michigan beat 38-3, NU beat 49-21

Colorado; Michigan beat 27-3, NU beat 27-24.

Then some other guy brought up that Nebraska actually played more opponents who ended up ranked at the end of the season which actually matters more...

Reality check Bucky...

Washington St still had a great opportunity at the end of the game until Leaf had YET ANOTHER of his inexplicable brain farts on 4th down on the last drive. That game was an even match-up.

And I was in attendance at the Tennessee thrashing and believe me, we could have NAMED the score had T.O. desired........

I remember seeing that game. But I thought the crowd rushed the field with a couple seconds left on the clock. Then, instead of clearing the field and giving Ryan Leaf a Hail Mary opportunity the refs called the game. Isn't that what happened at the end?

Reality check Bucky...

I remember seeing that game. But I thought the crowd rushed the field with a couple seconds left on the clock. Then, instead of clearing the field and giving Ryan Leaf a Hail Mary opportunity the refs called the game. Isn't that what happened at the end?

Don't recall that (althought it doesn't mean it didn't happen as I was watching from a Seafood Bar in Miami waiting for the Orange Bowl), but I was referring to Leaf missing wide open recievers on the last drive and an ill-fated scramble....