Nebraska Alternative (aka Sacrilegious) Uniform Slamma Ramma Extravaganza 2012

Thats like the third time today that i've heard somebody say black isn't our school color. Do u know how many teams have rocked black alternates? Out of all the teams you would think we would DEFINITELY be one of the teams to go black at least once. And as far as needing red in the helmets... Case in point: the cincy helmet i posted. And I think if the numbers are a slightly less lighter than black or even like a reflective charcoal... Everyone would be able to see them just fine. Im sticking with all black... With the exception of maybe subtle things like patches. Having red mixed in with it just seems kinda corny... More and more teams have used the black on black matte helmets. It's modern. We're the blackshirts baby!! Let's go all black! It's just an alternate... Its not like we're turning our back on the best color on the planet.

The last time I checked, our colors were Scarlet and Cream. I realize that black does work well with our color scheme and other Husker teams have adopted black as part of the uniform (at least a little bit), but I'm just against the complete black uniforms/helmets. At least make the collar, stripes, face mask, numbers, etc. red so we can still retain our color scheme. I think black is a good way to go, it's intimidating, it's pretty badass looking, and the players seem to want it. I'm just against having the all black uniforms because any team can do that. ANY team.

You're right... Any team can go all black. But there is only ONE team named the blackshirts.

Right. Our defense.

We will get some badass black unis for our blackshirts, then whoever we are playing will come in and hang 35. You think jerseys are big topic now...

I remember everyone making a big deal about Georgia's black uniforms a few years ago and then they got skulldrug by 'Bama. Worked out well.

It's definately off season... IMHO, I don't see that 'uniforms' have an impact on the ability to win. Some say that swithcing uniforms attracts attention for recruits, yet no mention of winning attracting attention. IF we were in the MNC hunt year in and year out the tradtional uniform would be the icon that everyone would want to be wearing. Instead, here we are, talking about uniforms...

I actually touched on this same train of thought in a long post earlier today. I pretty much laid out the argument that alternate uniforms give college programs a quick buzz of attention in the marketing world and also the recruiting world, but in fact it is my opinion that consistently winning at a high level is what truly makes top programs attract high caliber recruits, not some new uniform scheme. If you or anyone else would like to review my original post it can be viewed on page 4 of this thread.

Thats like the third time today that i've heard somebody say black isn't our school color. Do u know how many teams have rocked black alternates? Out of all the teams you would think we would DEFINITELY be one of the teams to go black at least once. And as far as needing red in the helmets... Case in point: the cincy helmet i posted. And I think if the numbers are a slightly less lighter than black or even like a reflective charcoal... Everyone would be able to see them just fine. Im sticking with all black... With the exception of maybe subtle things like patches. Having red mixed in with it just seems kinda corny... More and more teams have used the black on black matte helmets. It's modern. We're the blackshirts baby!! Let's go all black! It's just an alternate... Its not like we're turning our back on the best color on the planet.

The last time I checked, our colors were Scarlet and Cream. I realize that black does work well with our color scheme and other Husker teams have adopted black as part of the uniform (at least a little bit), but I'm just against the complete black uniforms/helmets. At least make the collar, stripes, face mask, numbers, etc. red so we can still retain our color scheme. I think black is a good way to go, it's intimidating, it's pretty badass looking, and the players seem to want it. I'm just against having the all black uniforms because any team can do that. ANY team.

And now you're patronizing

You're right... Any team can go all black. But there is only ONE team named the blackshirts.

Right. Our defense.

tumblr_m19ts04SWf1qli4fjo1_400.gif

And now you're patronizing

Right. Our defense.

tumblr_m19ts04SWf1qli4fjo1_400.gif

Little+Tikes+Tee+Ball.jpg

I'm in-different about our current uniforms. I don't hate them, but I'm not in-love with them.

I understand why we wore the 1962 uniform in 2009. I thought those uniforms were ugly as hell, but I understood why we did it, which was the important thing. I think doing a throwback that is in memory of a tradition or event is pretty cool. So under that rule, I think we should have rolled out the 1971 jersies last year in memory of that season.

No one will be able to convince me otherwise, but as stated in this thread in various places, the 2001 uniforms were, and will always be, my favorite and best look for Nebraska. They were stylish, yet still classic & traditional. They were made evenly and looked sharp on the field. If we went anywhere with our uniforms, we would be use these.

Eric+Crouch+02+rose+bowljpg.jpgallamerican_zoom.jpg

I also believe you could do an alternative out of these as well. Red on red with white socks, or white on white with red socks. That would be different, yet still traditional, and yes I know our record with one color on one color, but I think that is more who is in the uniform rather than the uniform itself.

Some might call me crazy, but I am a part of the younger Husker generation and not some "old-fart telling kids to sit down."

With all that being said...

Doing an alternative uniform should be done during homecoming. Not senior day, not a big game, but I think homecoming would be an ideal yearly game for it.

I think doing ONE alternative uniform for ONE game won't hurt anything. Just please NO black-on-black-on-black!!!

There has to be red and white in the uniform and it has to be in a good spot. White numericals with black jersies would be boring. I have the mindset that black is not an official school color. Yes, other Nebraska teams do share a shade of black in them, but I don't believe they should.

If we went back to the 2001 look, I would never say another word about uniforms as I've clearly stated my case numerous times on here, as have others, but this makes for a good debate because everyone has their opinions and options. Off-season FTW.

I just don't want anything crazy, and Tom won't let it get crazy, but I will reserve judgment and make a fair evaluation, like most of us probably will when they are unvieled. I just have a bad feeling.

Also, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that players are saying they will "play harder/better in different uniforms". Are you kidding me?! You don't play hard to begin with? Or the one quote. and I'm para-phrasimg, "To show them we are a different Nebraska", that made me cringe! I know the players don't mean it as "we are satisfied with mediocrity and we aren't aiming for conference/national titles" but that's just how it came off and rubbed me the wrong way.

As long as they aren't ridiculous, aren't over-done, wore once maybe twice a year [one road and /or one away game], don't open Pandora's box, don't sell out, but stll be about wanting to represent the state, the fans, the students, the former greats, and selling the brand for future generations while aspirign to win conference and national titles, then I will be fine with that.

If we lose sight of those goals, then we lose ourselves and become "another team" something I dearly want to avoid at all costs.

• Fire 1

nothing like a uniform discussion to get HB going in the offseason :P

It's bizarre, isn't it? I just don't see what all the interest is.

I think we should ban anyone who posts about uniforms during the offseason. I mean, who needs a forum anyway?

You are a harsh, harsh man, tschu.

Nah. I think sometimes my brash sense of humor doesn't come out well on the internet. Oh well, ban everyone, shut down the site. I hear HuskerMax is awesome.

Eww!

Does anyone else find it depressing that this thread is already 5 pages? There should be no room for vanity in football.

Oregon has turned this game into a hodgepodge of America's Next Top Model and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

This is also a dumb stance. You're saying if we came out in blue and pink uniforms, you wouldn't care? Come on, that is an extremely crude opinion. Congrats on being more manly than the rest of us, man. Hope it feels good. Pull your pants up and put the ruler down.