Nebraska Alternative (aka Sacrilegious) Uniform Slamma Ramma Extravaganza 2012

I wonder if the players have seen any concepts yet. According to one player I talked to, Adidas created some "sick" black uniforms for the 2011 season, which Nebraska declined to use. They're still sitting in the stadium somewhere.

I think a lot of this has to do with recruiting and player interests. Some players I talked to love the idea of alt unis, and really wish the AD would look into it more than they do. Oregon's Nike contract has been monstrously successful for them. Although anybody who comes to Nebraska should know (and come to expect) most of us don't like a lot of variability, I think a lot of recruits out there are interested in places that will offer some form of alt unis. It's fun for the players but also for a lot of the fans/media.

I do not disagree with you that Oregon's Nike contract has been monstrously successful for their program. And I do not disagree with you that many of today's recruits are interested in places that will offer some form of alternate uniforms. With that being said I would argue that Oregon did not become the Oregon program that we all recognize today because of their many varieties of alternate uniforms. I would argue they became the Oregon program that everyone now respects today because of the style of play that they choose to run on their offense and because....THEY WIN.....and have been winning a lot of games lately on a consistent basis.

Did their vast array of uniforms help market their program and university? Absolutely it did, but I would argue those numerous alternate Oregon uniforms would not have had the same marketable effect on the nation and with recruits if Oregon was producing mediocre and below average records year in and year out.

Marketing such as an alternate uniform change gives a program a quick buzz, but winning...and winning big consistently is what takes good programs to being great, and it is what keeps great programs and proud programs like Nebraska, Michigan, Oklahoma, etc at the top of the nation's psyche when they think of that current year's top teams.

Nebraska in my view has slipped a little here over the last decade. Not because of what uniforms we chose to wear, but what our win-loss record has been for the last 10 years, and our revolving door of offensive styles of play from the option, to the west coast, to multiple/west coast, to multiple/pistol/option. Oregon's style of play for the most part has remained the same. Their spread offense is part of their identity, and because they have been winning on a consistent basis (average of at least 7 wins since 2005) their program in recruits eyes is that of a consist Top 25 team. Oregon's uniforms just happen to be the cherry-on-top so to speak when it comes to enticing many of those recruits to their program.

So it is my view that Nebraska's one game step into the alternate uniform world will definitely create a buzz for the program. In fact it already has, just look at this thread, and we haven't even seen the actual design yet. But recruits won't choose to come to Nebraska because we decided to do an alternate uniform. Your big time talented recruits will eventually choose to come to Nebraska when we start winning 10 or 11 games consistently, when we start playing with a consistent offensive identity again that doesn't change every 3 or 4 years. Highly ranked recruits will choose to come play for this university on the plains when Nebraska begins competing for BCS bowl games and National Championships again.

That is why kids come to play for Nebraska, not because of some alternate uniform scheme, no matter how cool it might be. That is why when those Cornhuskers take the field in Memorial Stadium every fall, they truly know who they are playing for.

6110896920_3ce796871d.jpg

• Fire 1

We don't do well in all red. I guess if there is going to be a slight change, I would like to see some of our more talented members on here show something with red tops over black bottoms. Haven't seen that mix yet. As far as the helmets, don't mess with them. We are the Big Red, you have to have red be a standout color on game days, so red strips on black or white uniforms doesn't work for me. If the players and some fans think it would be fun to change things up once a year, then so be it. Just don't want to see a change from who we are, start happening more than that. jmo

GBR!!!

If the uniforms involve black, I think it's pretty safe to say that they aren't going to be the same design with different colors (like most of the concept photoshop images in this thread). That barely qualifies as alternate, and isn't anything close to what is being discussed. Unless black is somehow "futuristic".

I agree. In defense of my stuff that has been showing up...All the images I have created that show up here (Wyoming game pic with black pants/masks, Rex in black or dark gray home top/mask) were created during the black uni-hype from last year, which I believe would have only resulted in a simple color swap/same design as reflected in the images. So when they pop up around here with regards to this story, the look should be taken with a grain of salt. That in mind anything I ever drew up is thrown out the window without some modern style changes in the least, a la Denver Broncos or Cincinatti Bearcats striping on the sides, Oregon or even the new Seattle Seahawks looks.

Adding to what you said...Now I am no design major (I have a Meteorology degree) but with all the black showing up in new places, or as Uni-Watch.com likes to say "Black for Black Sake", I get the feeling that black is currently considered to be very futuristic in the way it is being used. Also, the Ducks Chrome domes from the bowl game last year came off very futuristic style-wise and I think the matte finish helmets add a similar, yet slightly lesser effect. So I feel that will be a mainstay for a while.

In the scenario of the upcoming season I am okay with them testing the waters for one game (black unis, matte finish helmets, etc). However, I am not a good enough designer to come up with a good futuristic look nor would i want to because of the many, many crazy ways it could really turn out. And then when TO says they won't be too over the top style wise, I trust they won't be over the top. That's my two cents.

I'm sensing that some folks are looking too far into this.

I do believe the official word is that these are alternate uniforms, not replacements or new uniforms.

It's not like this going to be a permanent change next season.

Though i do believe that folks who want a permanent change in uniforms will see this as one step closer to a permanent change in uniforms.

I'm sensing that some folks are looking too far into this.

I do believe the official word is that these are alternate uniforms, not replacements or new uniforms.

It's not like this going to be a permanent change next season.

Though i do believe that folks who want a permanent change in uniforms will see this as one step closer to a permanent change in uniforms.

I think most everyone gets that. We're just discussing/arguing/projecting what the alt unis will look like at this point.

• Fire 1

http://huskerextra.c...2a5a99328e.html

Sounds to me like a lot of players want to see black.

Ciante Evans proved my earlier point about players playing better and with more passion when something like this happens.

"I definitely think it will help us play better," said junior cornerback Ciante Evans, who pointed to 2009, when Nebraska wore replica 1962 uniforms against Louisiana-Lafayette to commemorate NU's 300th straight home sellout.

So whether you like this or not, the players seem to want it.

here's my two cents....

black matte helmets, with the glossy black traditional N and stripe. not too much changed, keep it traditional... just black it out. black out the stadium. everything. black it out.

15zpk4i.jpg

That's kind of sweet looking. I'm not sure if black on black is the way to go though. From the stands and on TV, I don't think the N on the helmet or the numbers will be read very easily. I think if you take this and make the N red and then make the numbers red with a white outline and the stripes on the arms, make one white and one red. That'd be sweet IMO

here's my two cents....

black matte helmets, with the glossy black traditional N and stripe. not too much changed, keep it traditional... just black it out. black out the stadium. everything. black it out.

15zpk4i.jpg

That's kind of sweet looking. I'm not sure if black on black is the way to go though. From the stands and on TV, I don't think the N on the helmet or the numbers will be read very easily. I think if you take this and make the N red and then make the numbers red with a white outline and the stripes on the arms, make one white and one red. That'd be sweet IMO

Agreed. It has to have red on it somewhere. The day we abandon ALL school colors is the day I stop watching.

here's my two cents....

15zpk4i.jpg

Agreed. It has to have red on it somewhere. The day we abandon ALL school colors is the day I stop watching.

That would be dope! Make the N red and we got an attractive uni.