What would you consider a 'Great Spring Game'

Where the Spring Game is the beginning of a 4-game 'mini-season' (Season 2) when you play 3 other teams that are arranged according to your final rank at the end of the season. Ex: if NU finishes 24th...they play what was perceived to be the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd teams in the 6th tier, and the winner of the tier plays the winner of the 5th tier, and then for everyone hell-bent on preseason rankings, base it on these games rather than teams' finishes with players that won't even be a part of the following season. To reduce injuries and fatigue...only two 15 minute halves per game.

So this spring, it would be (according to final 2011-12 polls) it would be #21 Va Tech, # 22 Clemson, #23 Florida State, and #24 Nebraska. Winner plays the winner of Tier 5 (#17-#20).

Four weeks. Four games.

Of course it's far-fetched and could never happen. But then, it's better than watching the first month of baseball, and the first round of NHL and NBA playoffs.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled game of NCAA Football 12 on the X-Box.

Here's my vision for "The Perfect Spring Game: 2012"

The morning starts as a thick mist rolls in over the city. We see montage clips of players waking out of bed, coaches restless from nights without sleep. The backdrop is a hauntingly dramatic tune that keeps rising and rising, in such a way that you don't know the ending to this story. Much like Dante and his inferno, you get the ominous chill down your spine that whatever is about to happen...it will grow to define you. Suddenly the music crescendos and with a mighty blast goes completely silent. What follows is a bird tune, slow but steady...wait, could it be? Yes! The bird is singing the melody of the fight song! Everyone three states around wakes to this foreshadowing omen. Some arise with a simple yet sure statement; "It's back". Others, from lands to the east, offer up the same words with tears rolling down their eyes, soiling their black&yellow pj's.

As the hours move on, the horde rolls in. Thousands upon thousands of creatures descend upon the same destination -- a great monolith of brick and mortar -- looking for their lifesource; their reason for existence. As they draw nearer and congregate together, they notice something is different. One entire side of the great Memorial Stadium is draped in a humongous cloth. Finally, as the time has arrived, there is a collective gasp as the mysterious shroud is removed, unveiling a completely finished East Stadium expansion, but this is more than anyone could have believed.

"That doesn't look like the pictures!" one fan exclaims.

"How is this possible??" gasps another.

A number of improvements and amenities have been added to the expansion - the world's largest video board extended 5,000 feet high on a pole and facing straight downwards, a waterfall, a three-story tall playplace for children and unlimited free ice cream and Valentino's for all. In one collective motion, all 92,000 people bow down and worship their Lord, one Mr. Dr. Super Ultra Awesome Old Balls Tom Osborne. With knees bent and arms raised high, MDSUAOBTO himself steps up to his throne sitting atop East Stadium.

"Let. It. Begin."

To be continued...

wow, you got some more of that stuff??

I want Martinez to play well. Not because I give a crap whether he plays well, but because I give a crap whether every other thread here is about his not playing well.

If he has another game like last spring, and Carnes (or one of the other qb's) has a better game, I can't WAIT to see the litany of anti-Martinez threads that'll pop up here.

No injuries. Good linebacker play. A nice long field goal. Of say, 50+ yards. :) That said, it's impossible to judge the quality of a team or individual players based on a scrimmage. Seems like every year we have a spring game hero who doesn't show up in the fall.

Agree it's impossible to judge players from one scrimmage. Joe Dailey had one of the best spring game performances ever and....

No major injuries is my hope.

I want Martinez to play well. Not because I give a crap whether he plays well, but because I give a crap whether every other thread here is about his not playing well.

Ha! I hear ya. You can bet the ranch threads stating "so & so would be a super star if only Bo would play him!!" will be truly endless. It's nice to have a few things in life one can count on.

No injuries. Good linebacker play. A nice long field goal. Of say, 50+ yards. :) That said, it's impossible to judge the quality of a team or individual players based on a scrimmage. Seems like every year we have a spring game hero who doesn't show up in the fall.

Agree it's impossible to judge players from one scrimmage. Joe Dailey had one of the best spring game performances ever and....

No major injuries is my hope.

no injuries and just sit back and enjoy the scrimmage, because that is what it is......nothing more, nothing less.

-No injuries

-Progression of the offense/Martinez's mechanics

-No stupid plays/penalties/mental mistakes

-Creative, but we won't see it because it's the spring game

-Aggressive and improved defensive line play

-Offensive line blowing guys off the line

-Minimal drops

-Special teams perfection

-How the kickoff rules will effect the philosophy on special teams

-Play all out

I would like to see either side really run up the score. Bo won't do that in a regular game (why, I have no idea?) but I like seeing Nebraska score 50+ points. That just looks so cool! When you look at NU's score back in the day you see scores like 62-24, 42-17, 66-17. I would love to see that again! (Maybe when we wear the alt. uni's Bo will let the team run up the score-after all-uniform changes=automatic big wins, eh?;))

Been going to spring games ever since TO retired. What do I want...

1. A warm sunny day.

2. A pre game game tail party like for that of any other game.

3. The hair on the back of my neck rising with the TunnelWalk.

4. Leaving to get back to the tailgate midway thru the 3rd.

5.Going to Misty's for the best Prime Rib in the world.

6. Finding out on Sunday how we looked to the media.

Great party.

T_O_B

G>B>R