Dennard Arrested for Assault

But if he goes to jail for swinging at a guy who grabbed him from behind and that guy turns out to be a police officer, and all the officer got out of it was an injury requiring over-the-counter ibuprofen to treat, I'll be pissed. Our jails are overcrowded as it is, and this guy isn't a menace.

I don't know how you can be found guilty of anything for taking a swing at a guy who grabs you and you don't know who it is. Who wouldn't do that?

I get the feeling Fonzie's status as a successful NFL player worked against him in this trial. People love the NFL thug angle.

But if he goes to jail for swinging at a guy who grabbed him from behind and that guy turns out to be a police officer, and all the officer got out of it was an injury requiring over-the-counter ibuprofen to treat, I'll be pissed. Our jails are overcrowded as it is, and this guy isn't a menace.

I don't know how you can be found guilty of anything for taking a swing at a guy who grabs you and you don't know who it is. Who wouldn't do that?

I get the feeling Fonzie's status as a successful NFL player worked against him in this trial. People love the NFL thug angle.

that is what i was wondering, an officer has to announce his presence. however, i really do not know much about this case.

that is what i was wondering, an officer has to announce his presence. however, i really do not know much about this case.

And quite possibly he did but it wasn't heard/recognized.

I don't think that an announcement is required if this was charged under 28-929 . . .

I don't think that an announcement is required if this was charged under 28-929 . . .

i guess i was referring more to the resisting arrest, but the must have happened after the assault.

Couple of things. I took some posts out of this thread and put them in the woodshed. If you have a problem with a person, take it up in the shed. Don't call them out in the regular forums.

Second, we're not going to impugn Dennard's character here. Think what you want, but don't post character analysis here.

Couple of things. I took some posts out of this thread and put them in the woodshed. If you have a problem with a person, take it up in the shed. Don't call them out in the regular forums.

Second, we're not going to impugn Dennard's character here. Think what you want, but don't post character analysis here.

Thanks for clarifying that you removed some post knapplc. I thought I was going nuts or seeing things that was not there! :dunno

i guess i was referring more to the resisting arrest, but the must have happened after the assault.

Dennard's attorney conceded the resisting arrest . . . in fact if I'm reading the reports correctly he argued that Dennard definitely resisted arrest but didn't assault the officer.

This would have probably been plead to a resisting only if he hadn't thrown the punch.

This would have probably been plead to a resisting only if he hadn't thrown the punch.

Why wasn't this plead down? The prosecutor didn't want to negotiate? The defense thought their defense was stronger than it turned out to be?

I saw no merit for Dennard's team in this trial. I didn't see a different outcome than what we got, if the evidence was accurate (and it seems to have turned out to be).

I also see no merit, other than sending a message to the public, in the prosecution's pursuit of a felony. Dennard isn't the kind of person we, the citizens, need to be protected from. So why push for a felony conviction on an otherwise spotless record?

None of this made sense to me. Should never have gone to trial. Cut a deal, make it palatable for both parties, and move on.