Pelini given a 1 year contract extension

According to a report by the Omaha World Herald, Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini has been given a one year contract extension.

The move should not be a surprise to Husker fans. Pelini is now on the books for five more years and through the 2016 season, which is crucial in recruiting.

In four seasons at Nebraska, Pelini is 39-16 overall, making the Big 12 Conference championship game in 2009 and 2010. Pelini is 7-10 against AP ranked teams during his four years at the helm.

Last season Nebraska finished 9-4 overall in the Huskers first year in the Big Ten. (Scout) What do you guys think? I am glad he got an extension. And for those who are on the "Fire Bo" Campaign just remember we could still have Callahan.

Solid decision. It shows potential recruits that the school is still committed to Pelini despite what most fans consider a pretty disappointing season & the fact that a small portion of the fan base want him fired. Considering last season, he didnt really do anything to deserve more than a 1 year extension but extending 1 year is just right. Happy with this decision

Solid decision. It shows potential recruits that the school is still committed to Pelini despite what most fans consider a pretty disappointing season & the fact that a small portion of the fan base want him fired. Considering last season, he didnt really do anything to deserve more than a 1 year extension but extending 1 year is just right. Happy with this decision

It brings another upside to recruting yes I dont belive in hype much I just think it is fun to read and to see if it comes true. Also I know not to many people hate him but had to put that in there for some of those Anti Cotton Anti Beck Anti Martinez and Anti Pelini fans :D.

No! Sir, if you'll please hand in your username, you are in need of a new one. :D

Have to disagree with this. When is NU going to learn from handing out extensions and money just for the sake of doing it? It's absurd to think of it as a recruiting tool...any recruit that thinks a head coaching football contract is worth much of anything these days shouldn't be at a university in the first place. You don't have to look past the University of Nebraska to realize the truth of that.

Look, I like Pelini, and I want him to succeed, and I don't want him fired by any means. I hope he has a lot of great years here. But Pelini, by his own admission, confesses that it's 'National title this' and 'conference champions' that as his standards. And he already gets paid good money to achieve this. But he hasn't achieved it, yet the athletic department keeps rewarding what is considered less of a standard, both by Nebraska football, its fans(admittedly very loftty), and Bo Pelini's own goals?

Have to disagree with this. When is NU going to learn from handing out extensions and money just for the sake of doing it? It's absurd to think of it as a recruiting tool...any recruit that thinks a head coaching football contract is worth much of anything these days shouldn't be at a university in the first place. You don't have to look past the University of Nebraska to realize the truth of that.

Look, I like Pelini, and I want him to succeed, and I don't want him fired by any means. I hope he has a lot of great years here. But Pelini, by his own admission, confesses that it's 'National title this' and 'conference champions' that as his standards. And he already gets paid good money to achieve this. But he hasn't achieved it, yet the athletic department keeps rewarding what is considered less of a standard, both by Nebraska football, its fans(admittedly very loftty), and Bo Pelini's own goals?

Hey, I think Bobby Petrino's available?

the bottom line is, if you want to keep your coach... you have to pay him. there is a fine line between "happily paid" and "open for offers". personally, i despise all of the speculation articles that pop up in the papers every time a dogs bark is interpreted as bo being interested in or offered another job. if you have faith in the long term of your coach, you have to invest. otherwise, he's gone.

recruiting at nebraska isn't exactly as easy as whistling dixie. the kids graduating in the class of 2012 were born in 1994. what's nebraska football? yet, you have some fans picketing for a fire after three losses. it's chess not checkers.

bo is my coach.

• Fire 1

im glad for him but i know a lot of people will be expecting him to make that 'big next step' sometime in the near future... right or wrong these are the expectations on him... in some places you dont get the job done in a few years your out...... we can speak from our own expirences in the past.....

im happy he got the deal... i just hope he gets his sh#t 100 percent together!!

Hey, I think Bobby Petrino's available?

And your point is...

Yes. Last year was dissappointing. But, Alabama went 9-4 and did not even win their division between two national championship season. They did not run Saban out of town. I know it's not the same comparison quite, but down years happen. This is a good decision, it shows the faith and commitment towards Bo that he will show the same for the program.

How is it not a recruting tool? The fact that the guy that recruted you that made you choose the university is staying there until after you graduate thats a relief. Thats why so many kids tranfer after a new coach. I agree that you should commit to a university though but some kids just dont they go there for a coach.

Yes. Last year was dissappointing. But, Alabama went 9-4 and did not even win their division between two national championship season. They did not run Saban out of town. I know it's not the same comparison quite, but down years happen. This is a good decision, it shows the faith and commitment towards Bo that he will show the same for the program.

My opinion, but Pelini hasn't shown anything other than being able to produce good but not great teams in four seasons. The ball is in his court, it's time for him to produce. I think the University has done more than enough to show it's loyalty to him, significant progress must be shown this season.

Not to defend Bo, BUT he is the coach of one of only 8 teams who have had consecutive 9 win seasons for the past 4 yrs. Not bad.

This offseason he seems to be doing better with the media and fans. A plus in my book.

Extensions mean nothing. It means we like you now, but if we change our mind, we buy you out and still fire you.

I think it also shows that TO knows that a consistent staff is the key to winning. We have lost Wats, Gilmore, Carl, Sanders, Ecklerand Raymond off the top of my head in 4 yrs and have added some young (supposedly up and coming) guys to the staff I am sure TO doesn't want to see get some training and exposure and leave. I know some left, fired etc, but the fact is we have had a lot of turn over.

In addition to taking care of the HC, we need to pay the assistants when they pan out.

• Fire 1