CFL Roundtable: Nebraska

Except when was it that Martinez got his butt chewed last year? After the Wisconsin game he played really steady. Not great, but steady and his mistakes were few and far between.

The defense needs to step it up, and I think they have the pieces in the secondary to be the best in the Big Ten (like how Green and Stafford were playing at the end of last year, the things we've heard about Seisay, and whoever we have at the second Safety position).

A lot of people need to step it up, but to me it feels like the offseason chatter we've been hearing sounds different than in years previous.

One more thing, the Roundtable focused entirely too much on Martinez.

They should have just renamed that segment on Nebraska "The Bash Taylor Matinez Segment." It would have been more appropriately named.

Half the threads on this board come September could be named the same thing. What do you expect them to say?

Areed... And until we win something of significance with him at QB we all feel the same deep down.

Ask yourself this. If Taylor was a 68% passer with 30 tds and 8 ints with the same mechanics and we still go 10-3 or 9-4, would we still bitch about him?

Nope, we'd be all over the coaches for throwing the ball too much and not running enough option.

The only problems I really had with it were

#1 they kept saying Martinez regressed last year which simpy isn't true.

and

#2. They said that the Defense wasn't good enough considering they were being led by an all american at each level - but then they didn't qualify that statement by mentioning that those 3 all americans played a total of 6 quarters together as a group and 0 quarters with all three on the field together at anywhere close to 100% healthy.

One more thing, the Roundtable focused entirely too much on Martinez.

He's the quarterback. A big question is where our offense is headed. A big part of that is on Taylor's shoulders and his progression in the system (not just his mechanics). It's very fair and even predictable.

It isn't like we were meant to learn new information here. But put aside any miffed feelings that come as a result of not being heaped with glowing praise all around, and wouldn't you say they did a pretty fair summary of where this program is at, hitting on some of the key points? Nothing groundbreaking, and certainly not to devoted Husker fans who are familiar with the program already. But nothing hugely stands out as incorrect.

i watched it and thought they were dead on. I know as a fan i dont like hearing the bad truth at times. But they commented on taylor making too many mistakes and that is maybe why Bo chews his ass. I think that is accurate. I also think we lost our best three defensive players in a sub-par defense last year. THat is pretty accurate as well. get mad all you want, but their assessment was spot on, IMO.

You make it sound as false as they do, that Bo rips on him all the time. Funny how they had to go back almost 2 YEARS to find such an instance. Taylor was very stead after the Wisconsin game. He had as few interceptions as anyone.

Mark my word. Taylor Martinez will be lights out this year. Denard Robinson is overrated and always has been. He's a ticking time bomb of interceptions and bad decisions. Martinez will outplay Robinson, all year long.

I don't know if Taylor will be "lights out" but I do think he will have a good year. The defense and the O-line will dictate how far this team can go.

And I agree w you 100% about Shoelace. He's got blazing speed but his arm is terrible. He had the game of his life throwing the ball last year when we played Michigan.

That and the fact that we gave them the ball in our redzone multiple times and free first downs on several occasions. Don't

get me started on the Michigan game. It is biggest proof that sometimes the score just does not explain the game.

i watched it and thought they were dead on. I know as a fan i dont like hearing the bad truth at times. But they commented on taylor making too many mistakes and that is maybe why Bo chews his ass. I think that is accurate. I also think we lost our best three defensive players in a sub-par defense last year. THat is pretty accurate as well. get mad all you want, but their assessment was spot on, IMO.

You make it sound as false as they do, that Bo rips on him all the time. Funny how they had to go back almost 2 YEARS to find such an instance. Taylor was very stead after the Wisconsin game. He had as few interceptions as anyone.

Finally watched the segment. IMO they wern't too harsh. I agree they did bag on TM a lot. I don't think he regressed either. I really do think he was still bothered by the injuries from the year before. Turf toe and High ankle sprains are the worst things you can get without tearing something and can take months or even a year to really get over.

He had one really bad game at Wiskey but other than that he was not why we lost the other 3 games. His throwing motion is what it is. He completed 56% last year which is not completely horrible. If he hits about 3 more passes a game he is at 62-63%. That would be very exceptable. Remember recievers have to catch the ball also. Think about all the drops last year. At least 1 drop a game and multiple in many games.

The only problems I really had with it were

#1 they kept saying Martinez regressed last year which simpy isn't true.

and

#2. They said that the Defense wasn't good enough considering they were being led by an all american at each level - but then they didn't qualify that statement by mentioning that those 3 all americans played a total of 6 quarters together as a group and 0 quarters with all three on the field together at anywhere close to 100% healthy.

#2 is a very good point. Didn't really think about how little the big 3 did play together last year. Dennard really was only healthy for about the last 5 games of the season and crick only played healthy in the first 2 games.

I happen to agree with many of the statements made by the 'Round table'. there are many flaws on this team. Its funny how some people get butthurt when someone points out this teams flaws and isnt drinking the :koolaid2: . I was not a fan of Taylor from the beginning and as I hope he improves because it only helps our team I just see it more as mental errors coming from him. I don't know if he has the mind capacity to make good decisions on the field. The D is also going to struggle a bit this year. I think they will get better as the year goes on but the largest issue this team has is stopping running QBs. Which Ohio St. and Michigan do well. So i guess we will see what transpires. I do really wish the best and hope for dramatic improvement, i just dont see it happening anytime soon....

Taylor was really very pedestrian after the Wisconsin game. Steadily not-very-productive, although yes, the lack of interceptions was nice.

Taylor was really very pedestrian after the Wisconsin game. Steadily not-very-productive, although yes, the lack of interceptions was nice.

Wha....? I guess to the common eye, what Taylor did was "pedestrian" but I disagree completely. After the Wisconsin game, he seemed to improve his play each and every week. Hopefully he continues his steady play this coming season and shows off his new passing mechanics.

I happen to agree with many of the statements made by the 'Round table'. there are many flaws on this team. Its funny how some people get butthurt when someone points out this teams flaws and isnt drinking the :koolaid2: . I was not a fan of Taylor from the beginning and as I hope he improves because it only helps our team I just see it more as mental errors coming from him. I don't know if he has the mind capacity to make good decisions on the field. The D is also going to struggle a bit this year. I think they will get better as the year goes on but the largest issue this team has is stopping running QBs. Which Ohio St. and Michigan do well. So i guess we will see what transpires. I do really wish the best and hope for dramatic improvement, i just dont see it happening anytime soon....

I can see flaws on this team. What always makes me chuckle is the people that can't see flaws on other teams. I am not saying that is you it just made me think of it.

I dont understand why everyone goes back to the A&M game typical ESPN bs they love to show Bo as a guy that belongs in a mental hospital. I also hate how ESPN probably has not even looked at anyone this spring and all these assumptions were based purely on last season. A LOT can change after a season. Look at Bama how they won the national title in 2009 and in 2010 went 9-3. Look how K State got dominated in 2010 by Nebraska and how they looked pretty good last year under Snyder.

i guess we take our victories where ever we can find them..........