CFL Roundtable: Nebraska

Mark my word. Taylor Martinez will be lights out this year. Denard Robinson is overrated and always has been. He's a ticking time bomb of interceptions and bad decisions. Martinez will outplay Robinson, all year long.

Who's overrating Denard? Sure seems like from this board and every other non-Michigan internet bastion that Denard is an absolutely terrible QB, that Braxton Miller is already 100% better (not to mention his potential) and that the entire team lucked its way into 11 wins. Denard will get hurt in the first week of B1G play and Hoke will be exposed. Everyone knows this.

Denard is definately not overrated. He is a very lethal QB. The problem that a lot of people see is the fact that he is not a traditional QB with perfect throwing mechanics and decision making skills.

then maybe it boils down to who gets better this year.........Dennard or Taylor.......guess we will find out.

Mark my word. Taylor Martinez will be lights out this year. Denard Robinson is overrated and always has been. He's a ticking time bomb of interceptions and bad decisions. Martinez will outplay Robinson, all year long.

Who's overrating Denard? Sure seems like from this board and every other non-Michigan internet bastion that Denard is an absolutely terrible QB, that Braxton Miller is already 100% better (not to mention his potential) and that the entire team lucked its way into 11 wins. Denard will get hurt in the first week of B1G play and Hoke will be exposed. Everyone knows this.

Denard is definately not overrated. He is a very lethal QB. The problem that a lot of people see is the fact that he is not a traditional QB with perfect throwing mechanics and decision making skills.

then maybe it boils down to who gets better this year.........Dennard or Taylor.......guess we will find out.

Sounds fair enough to me.

Dennard has holes in his game. You can be a lethal running threat while also being able to run an effective passing game. Nobody's requiring perfect mechanics either. But if he's as mistake prone as the impression we get from the media about him, then it's no wonder he gets some flak. He'll always have that limitation and while he may the best they have now, a big-time school like Michigan will always be on the search for the next 'real deal.' A Robert Griffin, a Vince Young, Tyrod Taylor?, someone who really can do it all.

Maybe Devin Gardner can be that guy?

He has his strengths, but agree that if you force him to win the game with his arm, you'll have good chance at beating them.

I know it was against Notre Dame but Denard won that game with his arm. His biggest problem is that he forces things that he shouldn't and continually does it.

I would still take him if I had the chance just because of his athletic ability.

He has his strengths, but agree that if you force him to win the game with his arm, you'll have good chance at beating them.

I know it was against Notre Dame but Denard won that game with his arm. His biggest problem is that he forces things that he shouldn't and continually does it.

I would still take him if I had the chance just because of his athletic ability.

That's about the only game where he did and he got a lot of breaks in that game. Plus he was able to hurt them with is legs in that game. More times than not I'm willing to bet that he'll be able to duplicate that performance. JMO

Robinson is absolutely awful at passing. Not even serviceable. He will make a handful of throws per game that are nowhere neAr the I tended target and the only people who have shots at the ball are the DBs.

And then when it goes bad he gets that stupid look on his face of what did you do I was perfect, where's my flag! That's really my biggest gripe about him other than his poor decision making, he doesn't seem to accept responsibility after he f's up.

I haven't watched it yet, but they gave Clemson yesterday very little love also. They did fall all over themselves over Florida at 20 and VaTech at 19. Most of us Husker fans think it is hate that ESPN has for our beloved Huskers. What it really is a lack of understanding. Nebraska is an anomoly in there way of thinking. They do not understand how a state from the midwest with a very small population base could have been so good at football for so long. It makes no sense in their east coast minds.

These football talks like this are also driven by TV sets. Nebraska doesn't have enough TV sets to talk about. Thats why FSU and ND can lose 5-6 games a year and they will still talk about them. They only talk seriously about NU when they are really good and they have to.

That's it!

We need to start buying more TV sets!

Am I one of the few who thinks Taylor is poised for a big year? This will be his 2nd year in Beck's system. He has an excellent young wide receiving core to throw to, not to mention a possible Heisman candidate lining up behind him. All that he needs is someone to step up at center. He's taken the initiative to fix his mechanics and teammates have said he has stepped up as a leader in the huddle. I agree with Palmer. Taylor is poised to take that next step...

I think Taylor will have a good year, but he won't have a great or big year. He'll have a better year than last year passing, he'll be closer to how he was running before the ankle injury, but it still won't be crisp, and he will still make mistakes. A lot of uncertainty around Taylor is coming from the folks around him and it starts on the offensive line.

Am I one of the few who thinks Taylor is poised for a big year? This will be his 2nd year in Beck's system. He has an excellent young wide receiving core to throw to, not to mention a possible Heisman candidate lining up behind him. All that he needs is someone to step up at center. He's taken the initiative to fix his mechanics and teammates have said he has stepped up as a leader in the huddle. I agree with Palmer. Taylor is poised to take that next step...

I think Taylor will have a good year, but he won't have a great or big year. He'll have a better year than last year passing, he'll be closer to how he was running before the ankle injury, but it still won't be crisp, and he will still make mistakes. A lot of uncertainty around Taylor is coming from the folks around him and it starts on the offensive line.

i hope his passing does improve, footwork may be easier to change, actual throwing mechanics......i doubt there is much change in that regard. the real threat is his running. but if he plays like last year to avoid injury, his threat to run will be signficantly diminshed and defenses will no longer have to account for him. i don't think we will ever see the same guy who ran the zone read in his first season. that guy is no longer with us.

i don't think we will ever see the same guy who ran the zone read in his first season. that guy is no longer with us.

You might be right. But there were flashes last year where that guy showed up. Not all the time, and honestly not nearly often enough, but he was there. I'm rewatching the Penn State game, and on the drive where we scored our second TD, Taylor had a great read/run right up the gut with old-Taylor acceleration. He followed that by a pretty decent and gutsy Option, including a late pitch to Rex after both had run past the Safety, leading to Rex's 14-yard TD. That was a heck of a set of back-to-back plays.

If he can put that together for a season he'll be scary for opponents, especially combined with Rex. We have yet to see that, though.

i don't think we will ever see the same guy who ran the zone read in his first season. that guy is no longer with us.

You might be right. But there were flashes last year where that guy showed up. Not all the time, and honestly not nearly often enough, but he was there. I'm rewatching the Penn State game, and on the drive where we scored our second TD, Taylor had a great read/run right up the gut with old-Taylor acceleration. He followed that by a pretty decent and gutsy Option, including a late pitch to Rex after both had run past the Safety, leading to Rex's 14-yard TD. That was a heck of a set of back-to-back plays.

If he can put that together for a season he'll be scary for opponents, especially combined with Rex. We have yet to see that, though.

I actually remember that exact set of plays, and that was the point last season that I realized how far Taylor had come managing the option and making some pretty dang good plays. Hopefully he can get another hundred thousand reps of the option in this fall before the first game and we can have a 1990's-type offense.