Early expectations for this year.

I'm still flabbergasted that most people here are forgetting a few things...the major holes left by a bunch of players leaving for the NFL or graduating...we all know the holes at Nebraska but have you even considered the holes elsewhere? Michigan and Wisconsin have a couple of big ones in majorly sensitive spots.

Not to mention all the new coaches. Wiscy had to replace almost all of their staff...we all know how that goes since we've done it in the past few years.

What makes everyone so sure that Wiscy, Michigan, and Ohio State are going to be these unstoppable forces? In my observations, they've had more churn than Nebraska on both sides (Offense/Defense and coaching changes). So, what is it that's making everyone here believe more in the ability in other teams than in Nebraska?

Ohio State for the reason you just mentioned. No holes to plug. They return something like 18 starters. 10ish of them on defense...and with the exception of our 4th quarter (and some of that was on their QB) - that defense was top 20. Add in Urban Meyer and a top notch coaching staff and you have the makings of a good, possibly great team.

Michigan - same thing. They don't have to plug too many holes, return 16 starters, staff, DC of the year (IMO) plus their QB.

Wisconsin - they've proven the last few years they are good for 10-11 wins. Replacing a QB does not seem to be an issue for them, as they do it yearly. They don't rely on their QB to be spectacular either - and it's much easier to find a QB that fits their mold than it is to find one that fits ours. Also, that guy named Monte Ball is back, maybe you've heard of him?

All three of these have won lots of games recently. Nebraska isn't terriable, but there isn't a very good reason to think any of these teams are going to fall off this year. We got dominated by 2 of them. They won't fall off 30 points. Ohio State - it took a lot going our way to win that game. I don't see lightning striking twice.

I'm still flabbergasted that most people here are forgetting a few things...the major holes left by a bunch of players leaving for the NFL or graduating...we all know the holes at Nebraska but have you even considered the holes elsewhere? Michigan and Wisconsin have a couple of big ones in majorly sensitive spots.

Not to mention all the new coaches. Wiscy had to replace almost all of their staff...we all know how that goes since we've done it in the past few years.

What makes everyone so sure that Wiscy, Michigan, and Ohio State are going to be these unstoppable forces? In my observations, they've had more churn than Nebraska on both sides (Offense/Defense and coaching changes). So, what is it that's making everyone here believe more in the ability in other teams than in Nebraska?

Ohio State for the reason you just mentioned. No holes to plug. They return something like 18 starters. 10ish of them on defense...and with the exception of our 4th quarter (and some of that was on their QB) - that defense was top 20. Add in Urban Meyer and a top notch coaching staff and you have the makings of a good, possibly great team.

Michigan - same thing. They don't have to plug too many holes, return 16 starters, staff, DC of the year (IMO) plus their QB.

Wisconsin - they've proven the last few years they are good for 10-11 wins. Replacing a QB does not seem to be an issue for them, as they do it yearly. They don't rely on their QB to be spectacular either - and it's much easier to find a QB that fits their mold than it is to find one that fits ours. Also, that guy named Monte Ball is back, maybe you've heard of him?

All three of these have won lots of games recently. Nebraska isn't terriable, but there isn't a very good reason to think any of these teams are going to fall off this year. We got dominated by 2 of them. They won't fall off 30 points. Ohio State - it took a lot going our way to win that game. I don't see lightning striking twice.

In CFB, this is entirely untrue.

Not arguing with you, I just noticed that you can do the following.

Nebraska - they've proven the last few years they are good for 9-10 wins. Replacing a QB does not seem to be an issue for them, TM is returning. They don't rely on their QB to be spectacular either - and it's much easier to find a QB that fits their mold than it is to find one that fits ours . Also, that guy named Rex Burkhead is back, maybe you've heard of him?

• Fire 1

1995/1996 Arizona State comes to mind.

Or more recently...

11/01/08 #Oklahoma Norman L 28-62

11/07/09 #Oklahoma Lincoln W 10- 3

41 point swing.

10/04/08 #Missouri Lincoln L 17-52

10/08/09 #Missouri Columbia W 27-12

50 point swing.

• Fire 1

Or more recently...

11/01/08 #Oklahoma Norman L 28-62

11/07/09 #Oklahoma Lincoln W 10- 3

41 point swing.

10/04/08 #Missouri Lincoln L 17-52

10/08/09 #Missouri Columbia W 27-12

50 point swing.

Lol! Even the most overwhelming factual evidence won't sway the doomers. Good try though Saunders. But just for fun.....

2011....Michigan 40.......Ohio State 34

2010...Michigan 7..........Ohio State 37

36 point swing

2011....Iowa State 44.....Iowa 41

2010....Iowa State 7.......Iowa 35

31 point swing

A guy could go on forever with this.

• Fire 1

Because being a Nebraska fan we're "not allowed" to see anything positive about our team. If we do it is nothing more than blind Bo Pelini worship, absurd homerism, and/or idiotic sunshine pumping.

:bang

To read skersfan's posts one could come to the conclusion that Nebraska should just cancel the damn season since we obviously don't stand a chance.

:bang

:dumdum

I said, it is what I expec this year. Too many new people, to little time to train, what I feel are unqualified coaches, depending on too many that really have not seen the field, depending on a single running back, and a quarterback, who most feel is terrible (I am not included in that group).

Wisconsin will be every bit as tough, Michigan state has been on the rise for the last few years, would imagine it will continue, we beat a Penn State team that was in shambles, should be much better this year, kids bounce back no question. Ohio State will be ready for Nebraska this year, not likley the Qb goes down again. Northwestern better be different, Iowa at home is a tough nut to crack for most going there. UCLA is an unknown, but they have a lot of talent, can they make it work is the real question. Arkansas state is a very good team, with a great coach and I think they still have a chance of their transfer running back playing. Michigan who all counted out last year, came on did what Pelini was supposed to do. He won games that mattered.

We lose to UCLA, scrape by Southern Miss or Arky and we will have kids with out a past looking in the mirror wondering. This is not he cake walk some seem to think it is. And we normally find a way to play down to the competition.

I really have no facts or statistics to back up my thoughts, just a very bad feeling about this year.

And as stated last year, Wisconsin showed us what we had, quite obvious, we were in for a tough run through what most predicted as an easy Big Ten. Every team improves as time goes by or at least they are supposed to. Nebraska is not alone in this happening.

My expectations are low this year, not enough improvement in the Oline or Dline to see a CC team. With some luck we could be a good team, but it can go just as easily the other way this year. And as to winning 9 games a year, that was a major deal when you only played 11, but now we play 13, makes a big difference.

Still hope you guys are right, but there really isn't any proof either way.

As others have pointed out you got a lot of wrong info here..

but to the point that we don't have enough on the lines to be a CC team -

we were 1 game away from the CCG last year - one game playing the toughest schedule in the conference. We had to play At Penn State, At Wisconsin and against Ohio State. We won 2 of 3. Michigan State got to play Indiana at home and Michigan got to play both Purdue and Illinois one at home and one away.

We scrambled a bit on the D-Line last year to replace Crick and due to that our DL is actually deeper this year than last - not to mention we get a couple redshirt freshmen into the mix that weren't available last year in Williams and Peat that should add a bit more depth in the middle.

Offensively our line is also deeper and more experianced this year against the BIG type of defense with the possible exception of center.

On Defense we lost no rotational linemen out of 10 (I don't count Crick who was missing most of the real season anyways)

We return Ankrah, Martin, Carter, Meredith, Williams, Rome, Guy, Moore, Steinkuhler and Randle from the rotation (10 of 10 rotational linemen)

We add Todd Peat jr. and Kevin Williams who redshirted last season.

So last year we had 10 rotational defensive linemen, this year we return all 10 and could have 11 or 12 and possibly more available depending on some of the sophmores.

on the offensive side

We lost Hardrick, Jones and Caputo (3 of 11 rotational linemen)

and bring back Sirles, Rodriguez, Choi, Pensick, Long, Qvale, Thompson and Moore (8 of 11 rotational linemen)

and add Klachko, Long, Moudy, Givens, Reeves and Sterup who all redshirted last season and we'll see how Mark Pelini does at center.

Last year we had 11 linemen in the rotation, we may have as many as 13 or 14 this season.

Are we young in some of our depth? yes. But we're still far deeper on both lines and possibly more talented overall than we were last season on both sides and there was actually a lot of improvement as the year went along on the offensive line last year as our new staff members started taking over and I expect big improvement on the defensive side as well with our new d-line coach.

I said, it is what I expec this year. Too many new people, to little time to train, what I feel are unqualified coaches, depending on too many that really have not seen the field, depending on a single running back, and a quarterback, who most feel is terrible (I am not included in that group).

Wisconsin will be every bit as tough, Michigan state has been on the rise for the last few years, would imagine it will continue, we beat a Penn State team that was in shambles, should be much better this year, kids bounce back no question. Ohio State will be ready for Nebraska this year, not likley the Qb goes down again. Northwestern better be different, Iowa at home is a tough nut to crack for most going there. UCLA is an unknown, but they have a lot of talent, can they make it work is the real question. Arkansas state is a very good team, with a great coach and I think they still have a chance of their transfer running back playing. Michigan who all counted out last year, came on did what Pelini was supposed to do. He won games that mattered.

We lose to UCLA, scrape by Southern Miss or Arky and we will have kids with out a past looking in the mirror wondering. This is not he cake walk some seem to think it is. And we normally find a way to play down to the competition.

I really have no facts or statistics to back up my thoughts, just a very bad feeling about this year.

And as stated last year, Wisconsin showed us what we had, quite obvious, we were in for a tough run through what most predicted as an easy Big Ten. Every team improves as time goes by or at least they are supposed to. Nebraska is not alone in this happening.

My expectations are low this year, not enough improvement in the Oline or Dline to see a CC team. With some luck we could be a good team, but it can go just as easily the other way this year. And as to winning 9 games a year, that was a major deal when you only played 11, but now we play 13, makes a big difference.

Still hope you guys are right, but there really isn't any proof either way.

we were 1 game away from the CCG last year - one game playing the toughest schedule in the conference. We had to play At Penn State, At Wisconsin and against Ohio State. We won 2 of 3. Michigan State got to play Indiana at home and Michigan got to play both Purdue and Illinois one at home and one away.

We scrambled a bit on the D-Line last year to replace Crick and due to that our DL is actually deeper this year than last - not to mention we get a couple redshirt freshmen into the mix that weren't available last year in Williams and Peat that should add a bit more depth in the middle.

Offensively our line is also deeper and more experianced this year against the BIG type of defense with the possible exception of center.

On Defense we lost no rotational linemen out of 10 (I don't count Crick who was missing most of the real season anyways)

We return Ankrah, Martin, Carter, Meredith, Williams, Rome, Guy, Moore, Steinkuhler and Randle from the rotation (10 of 10 rotational linemen)

So last year we had 10 rotational defensive linemen, this year we return all 10 and could have 11 or 12 and possibly more available depending on some of the sophmores.

on the offensive side

and bring back Sirles, Rodriguez, Choi, Pensick, Long, Qvale, Thompson and Moore (8 of 11 rotational linemen)

and add Klachko, Long, Moudy, Givens, Reeves and Sterup who all redshirted last season and we'll see how Mark Pelini does at center.

Last year we had 11 linemen in the rotation, we may have as many as 13 or 14 this season.

Are we young in some of our depth? yes. But we're still far deeper on both lines and possibly more talented overall than we were last season on both sides and there was actually a lot of improvement as the year went along on the offensive line last year as our new staff members started taking over and I expect big improvement on the defensive side as well with our new d-line coach.

Excellent post! Fully agree that especially the Oline will start getting young talent and depth this year. That helps boatloads. It's been a long, long time since we've had that.

This is a good point, that I haven't really seen addressed before.

To be fair, Michigan State played a tough enough schedule last year, but there's a little difference between playing Indiana at home and playing Penn State in Rapey Valley. So I'd say it's fair to say Nebraska played the tougher conference schedule. I don't think there's any doubt we're in the CCG hunt this year.

On a sadder note:

9/18/2010 Nebraska 56 Washington 21

12/30/2010 Washington 19 Nebraska 7

47 point swing in 14 weeks, same personnel

Who could ever forget this one?

1995 NU 77 ASU 28

1996 NU 0 ASU 19

A 68 point turnaround and under TO!!!!

on the offensive side

But Michigan plays that same easy schedule this year. So that's not something we expect to change.

Our OL is deeper? Are you using the same logic that led us to believe our DL was deep last year? That logic being "potential" and "should be".