Early expectations for this year.

Oh brother...... :facepalm:

TO wasn't anything even remotely close to to recruiting star guru either (until after he started racking up NCs). We've never, ever had a HC successfully storm the top 5 star classes consistently. Again...."never". Probably the closest we've ever had with that was Clownahan who was easily the worst HC we've had in the last 50 years.

For Nebraska to return to the elite status requires great coaching above all else. Brain-dead moves like firing our coaches for only 9 or 10 wins a year is simply suicide and a lock to become a Minnesota clone (a great but fading memory).

when you put it like that it seems like there isn't much to be hopeful for as a Husker fan. nothing is really changing as far as recruiting goes. the coaching staff is actually getting more inexperienced as the seasons progress. we've graduated away the best leftovers from Callahan, and the best JUCO guys Pelini was able to find. We have a rough schedule, operating a "spread killing" defense in a non-spread conference, with a history of being completely unable to stop any QB even remotely close to being mobile (see R. Wilson's rushing numbers from last year and where he got a good chunk of them), playing 5-6 teams a year with mobile QBs, all the while trying to be a power offense with finesse players. this is depressing. 8 hours of meetings ahead and i'm actually excited to go just to get away from this thread :)
Whether you are joking or not . . . this is basically my opinion of the program at the moment. It's not a good feeling. I don't see much changing in the near future. One way or another, I'd bet that Pelini won't be coaching here in 3 years. Hopefully he wins a conference championship or BCS game before then and proves me wrong.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL omg, YOU'RE KILLIN ME SMALLS! All kidding aside. You are straight up smoking CRACK. Pelini is only one of 6 coaches to win 9+ wins in the past 4 years. He's also one of 3 programs that have finished in the top 25 during the same time period. You do not pass go. You do not collect 200 dollars. You go straight to jail. In other words, STOP SPREADING FUD (Fear, uncertainty, doubt) in Husker Nation. Seriously...stop it.
What? We'll see. Like I said, I hope that he gets over the hump. For what it's worth I agree that it's very unlikely that he is fired. It's far more likely that he leaves of his own accord. It's not exactly a secret that he has been interested in some high profile openings. The catch-22 is that every year that he goes without winning a conference championship or BCS game he becomes less attractive to other programs. Hopefully that doesn't spread too much FUD.
he's going to have to recruit a helluva lot better here, before he goes somewhere else as their "pick".......IMHO. his recruiting is nowhere near elite level.

Neither was TO or Devaney. Yes, we're doomed.

As far as Bo Pelini and his status at Nebraska, I think there is a huge difference between both sides on this. The people that love him give him way too much credit. The people that hate him want him gone and don't believe he's done anything good here at NU. Both sides are completely full of sh#t. I for one believe Bo should continue as Nebraska's HC for quite some time. This coaching carousel crap was started when we fired Frank. It was a mistake we should never make again. The man needs some time, and for what he's done here, he deserves the time. He has done fairly well on the field, some big games, and some very unfortunate losses have tainted some of the great things, but still 9 and 10 win seasons are not bad years. Off the field, we are holding the highest GPA in Husker football team history, and the players really seem to be spreading their wings in devoting time to some great causes. I think all of that is awesome and deserves to be applauded.

Now for the other side of the coin. I keep hearing too many people talk about Bo's "scheme" and "Bo knows" and blah blah blah. Bo knows a lot, but he sure as hell doesn't have it all figured out. Not by far. He's got a long way to go as far as being a HC in the collegiate level. His sideline behavior, his "scheme", and his management of his staff and players is not flawless. Far from it. He would not be foolish enough himself to say that he has it all figured out. The man is learning as he goes. I believe he will learn to "simplify" things a bit. I think he will learn the importance of allowing younger players the chance to develop in game situations. His "scheme" can all still change. He is still going through an evolution and probably will for some time. He should not be fired for what he has done here so far. He should be applauded. He should not be exalted as some sort of Savior either. He's done well, he's still learning, and he deserves the time to continue to learn.

• Fire 1

As far as Bo Pelini and his status at Nebraska, I think there is a huge difference between both sides on this. The people that love him give him way too much credit. The people that hate him want him gone and don't believe he's done anything good here at NU. Both sides are completely full of sh#t. I for one believe Bo should continue as Nebraska's HC for quite some time. This coaching carousel crap was started when we fired Frank. It was a mistake we should never make again. The man needs some time, and for what he's done here, he deserves the time. He has done fairly well on the field, some big games, and some very unfortunate losses have tainted some of the great things, but still 9 and 10 win seasons are not bad years. Off the field, we are holding the highest GPA in Husker football team history, and the players really seem to be spreading their wings in devoting time to some great causes. I think all of that is awesome and deserves to be applauded.

Now for the other side of the coin. I keep hearing too many people talk about Bo's "scheme" and "Bo knows" and blah blah blah. Bo knows a lot, but he sure as hell doesn't have it all figured out. Not by far. He's got a long way to go as far as being a HC in the collegiate level. His sideline behavior, his "scheme", and his management of his staff and players is not flawless. Far from it. He would not be foolish enough himself to say that he has it all figured out. The man is learning as he goes. I believe he will learn to "simplify" things a bit. I think he will learn the importance of allowing younger players the chance to develop in game situations. His "scheme" can all still change. He is still going through an evolution and probably will for some time. He should not be fired for what he has done here so far. He should be applauded. He should not be exalted as some sort of Savior either. He's done well, he's still learning, and he deserves the time to continue to learn.

+1

Stop making sense, you're frightening me.

And every one of those above him has won something of substance....including many below him.

Yeah, but not in their first 4 years. In fact, only the top four on the list won a major conference, or played in a BCS (or similar bowl) in their first four years. And only one (Stoops) has a National Championship. Spurrier, Saban, and Les Miles didn't win jack squat their first 4 years, and they have 5 National titles between them.

Well stated. It amazes me at how "conveniently" some people "forget" how long it took coaches like Les Miles and Nick Saban to win a national championship and even they couldn't do it until they landed in the $EC where following recruiting rules is considered optional at best.

No offense meant . . . but Bo ain't TO.

Pelini sunshine pumpers tend to become upset when critics say that his demeanor and interaction with the press should be more like TO.

Apparently the TO comparisons are a one way street. If they paint Bo in a favorable light they are valid and relevant. If they don't they are apples and oranges.

No offense meant . . . but Bo ain't TO.

Pelini sunshine pumpers tend to become upset when critics say that his demeanor and interaction with the press should be more like TO.

Apparently the TO comparisons are a one way street. If they paint Bo in a favorable light they are valid and relevant. If they don't they are apples and oranges.

That's because many of us who knew Bob Devaney (you know, the guy who hired TO, gave him the OC position and then HC after he retired) know the how wildly he too be insulted, downgraded, laughed at, etc by the current internet genius crowd. Bob frequently screamed at our players, loved women & adult beverages. He was no preacher or tree-hugger.

Bo is the ultimate clean citizen relative to Bob but these days.....Bob wouldn't last five minutes and NU wouldn't be sh*t.

• Fire 1

Why is it if you do not feel we are going to win every game, we are anti Bo hate Nebraska, need to root for another team and are band wagon fans.

It is easy to click step along and say how great things are. How great Bo is, how we are headed in the right direction, everything is perfect we won 9 games.

There are a lot of problems, we should have the talent that Bo wanted for his offense and his defense playing this year. Young but if recurited for his system they should be better than the ones ahead of them age wize I would think

Thinking that Nebraska is a destination job, not a MAC or Sunbelt school, we should not be training beginner coaches in their field. We should be ahead of that, top OC's and DC's from that level should be coming here to hone their trade and move on when that has been accomplished it seems to me.

That is where my number one rub is. We have a beginner head coach, a beginner OC, a beginner DC among others. I know turn over is good indication normally of successful coaches, but I really do not think that is the case with our turn over situation.

I knew Bob Devaney, I know Tom Osborne, and nothing could be more true than they were exact opposites. But those days are past, Bob was the Bo of Michigan and the Woody of Ohio State in the day, physical, abuvsive language, drinking and the like. Those are what most call Dinasours now. A dead breed. Bo is more like Bob, but this time and age does not cling to that type of coach. Then it was normal, not so much anymore. Bob's financial burden was far less than what Bo has to struggle with. Bob was only in the lime light in the WH or the LS, not on every post of some 16year old kid posting on face book or twitter.

Bo has far more responsiblity than Bob or Tom in todays world. He has far more to worry about, that is where I see him failing, not due to effort or ability, but lack of time to learn his job, let alone teaching all the others theirs, worrying about grades, being in class, 2am phone calls and the rest that he has on his plate. I think if he rights the ship this year, and we move forward, the job is his until he decides to leave. I think if the opposite happens and the wheels come off, he has earned a couple of years to see if he can get it done..

I do not want him fired, I never have, and I have never been terribly happy with him being hired. I saw great progress the first two years, the last have been questionable for me. This year is going to be the toughest year he has had. I am wishing him luck and hoping we are as good as most of you seem to think. Who knows, that is why we play the game.

Why is it if you do not feel we are going to win every game, we are anti Bo hate Nebraska, need to root for another team and are band wagon fans.

Why is it that people continually spout this drivel? Do they think if they say it enough, it will be true? No one says the stuff you mentioned when people are sane about Pelini. It's the doomsday crap that gets this reaction.

• Fire 1

thinking we will lose more than we win is very possible, just as possible as the crap you spout about winning everything. Seems the same to me.

I have been a fan of this team for more years than most of you have been alive. I have paid my dues, many times over. Because my view differs from yours makes me no less a fan of Nebraska. Get out side the state and most think of Nebraska as the team with the crazy coach. I hear it everytime a conversation about Nebraska comes up. Never will we win the BCS or CC, just how crazy our coach is.

I have to listen day in and day out about how great of job we are doing. Only Nebraska fans see this great job being done, some of us don't buy it any more.

thinking we will lose more than we win is very possible, just as possible as the crap you spout about winning everything. Seems the same to me. I have been a fan of this team for more years than most of you have been alive. I have paid my dues, many times over. Because my view differs from yours makes me no less a fan of Nebraska. Get out side the state and most think of Nebraska as the team with the crazy coach. I hear it everytime a conversation about Nebraska comes up. Never will we win the BCS or CC, just how crazy our coach is. I have to listen day in and day out about how great of job we are doing. Only Nebraska fans see this great job being done, some of us don't buy it any more.

You watch way too much ESPN skers. I sadly haven't had the privilege of living in Nebraska (my dad's entire family lives in Lincoln, and my love of the Cornhuskers stems from his bachelor's and masters degree from UNL) and as you might be able to figure out from my user name I currently live in Missouri. I'm surrounded by the douchiest fans in college football, and yet none of them have ever said anything along these lines. I wear my Nebraska gear all the time, if anyone says anything about my garb its to wish us luck in the B1G. When I visit my mom in NY and wear my Husker gear there I again don't hear anything along the lines which you claim you hear all the time.

Where is it you live skers, that everyone you talk to thinks we have a crazy coach?

thinking we will lose more than we win is very possible, just as possible as the crap you spout about winning everything. Seems the same to me.

I have been a fan of this team for more years than most of you have been alive. I have paid my dues, many times over. Because my view differs from yours makes me no less a fan of Nebraska. Get out side the state and most think of Nebraska as the team with the crazy coach. I hear it everytime a conversation about Nebraska comes up. Never will we win the BCS or CC, just how crazy our coach is.

I have to listen day in and day out about how great of job we are doing. Only Nebraska fans see this great job being done, some of us don't buy it any more.

You seem to have misunderstood my post. I said nothing about your opinion on Nebraska losing games. I was responding to "Why is it if you do not feel we are going to win every game, we are anti Bo hate Nebraska, need to root for another team and are band wagon fans." <-- I rarely have seen this response. I see the exaggeration much more often. That is the drivel I was referring to.

• Fire 1