Martinez QB Camp Update

For all those out there, myself included, that said Martinez lacked leadership............. This is what a leader does. Not a lot of kids would take time out of their summers/spring break etc to get extra practice. Not to mention do football in your off time seeing as how it is pretty much a full time job. I like what I am hearing for sure.

• Fire 2

I think the combination of both the his ankle being healed up and the possiblity of Tmart having an improved throwing motion could make him pretty dangerous. I have been waiting for him to finally get the pieces together. He has shown some pretty impressive rushing games, passing games, and even game manager games, but rarely has he put it all together in one game or one season. Last year the coaching staff began to keep him healthy by limiting high risk plays, and he seemed to have a better grasp on how to control the offense, make reads and react a little better, and understanding coverages. Now he is in his first 2nd year of an offense and is healthy and appears to be putting in the effort and hard work to make a push to be much better than last year. I kind of wonder if last year was an eye opener for Tmart...finally realized he cant rely on his feet to make everything happen and is working on making himself a more complete QB. If he continues to work on Throwing motion, I could see him being a pretty amazing QB in 2013, 2012 though could be a pretty fun year to watch our offense though with even a pretty limited improvement from our QB.

I think his most improved area last year was reading the other teams defense. He changed the play a lot once the defense was set and many of them went for big games. I look for that to continue. Its just something that happens when you play more and see different defenses.

And know the offense better. I'm sure it has been beaten like a dead horse, but it will be his second year in the same offense for the first time ever. I'll say I'm cautiously optimistic about Taylor's offseason improvements. Just being able to hit the open guy every time on play action would add a lot of leathality to the offense.

We heard that we will be surprised by his progress last year too. I Don't take much from these. I sure hope i'm surprised, but who knows

That was the coaches and this is from a QB coach who stands to get a lot more students if Martinez can even step into a throw. The coach has a lot to gain by an improved Martinez. I hear you though. Four years of coach speak has gotten me gun shy.

I think it's great that Taylor is putting in so much work to improve his basic mechanics. However, all the work he's putting won't amount to a hill of beans if our WRs don't start catching the ball. As a reminder, Brandon Kinnie alone dropped 18 passes last season. That is flat out unacceptable for a true freshman let alone a senior. Our other WRs also had untimely drops which consistently put our offense into 2nd, 3rd & forever. That, and the OL needs to stop holding and remember the snap count. If our OL and WRs can just play like I think they can, a Big 10 title is pretty much assured and a national title will be possible. Basically Nebraska needs to stop beating themselves with stupid mistakes and careless, unfocused play.

We heard that we will be surprised by his progress last year too. I Don't take much from these. I sure hope i'm surprised, but who knows

That was the coaches and this is from a QB coach who stands to get a lot more students if Martinez can even step into a throw. The coach has a lot to gain by an improved Martinez. I hear you though. Four years of coach speak has gotten me gun shy.

I think the coach might be well regarded enough.He's one of the big names, isn't he?

Still think Rex will be a huge, huge get for an NFL team. Kid gets no love anywhere outside NU fans.

Boy, Rex sure seemed to get a lot of love from all the national broadcasters last year, and has been hyped as one of the top Big 10 players to watch this season. He's even making some of the early Heisman Watch lists. Remains a legend in Texas. He's doing all right in the publicity department.

I got to agree that Rex really doesn't get a lot of attention outside of the Big Ten and Huskernation. Yea, anyone that sees him loves the guy, fans and broadcasters alike, but with success comes more eyes to the team. I hope this team can be successful enough to bring Rex the attention he deserves. Then again, not too much attention.......I do want the Broncos to steal him in the draft. Maybe a late 2nd round trade up. Seeing that kid in the Orange and Blue would just plain kick ass.

I think it's great that Taylor is putting in so much work to improve his basic mechanics. However, all the work he's putting won't amount to a hill of beans if our WRs don't start catching the ball. As a reminder, Brandon Kinnie alone dropped 18 passes last season. That is flat out unacceptable for a true freshman let alone a senior. Our other WRs also had untimely drops which consistently put our offense into 2nd, 3rd & forever. That, and the OL needs to stop holding and remember the snap count. If our OL and WRs can just play like I think they can, a Big 10 title is pretty much assured and a national title will be possible. Basically Nebraska needs to stop beating themselves with stupid mistakes and careless, unfocused play.

For some those problems are completely ignored. Heck, every since Swift & Peterson left we've been dropping passes everywhere the last three years. But all you ever hear from the internet genius crowd is that Lee/Tmart can't pass. Over & over & over. No doubt they're not D. Marino but that sure doesn't help even one little bit.

For some those problems are completely ignored. Heck, every since Swift & Peterson left we've been dropping passes everywhere the last three years. But all you ever hear from the internet genius crowd is that Lee/Tmart can't pass. Over & over & over. No doubt they're not D. Marino but that sure doesn't help even one little bit.

The correlation between dropped passes and a catch-able ball is also astounding! Maybe some of you expert WR's should look into it. All WR's hold themselves to the "if it hits your hands, you catch it" standard. But with the speed of this game, an accurate spiral right in the numbers should never be taken for granted. Kinnie had a horrible season, but this dropped balls by the WR's is a bit over hyped in my very very humble opinion.

Still think Rex will be a huge, huge get for an NFL team. Kid gets no love anywhere outside NU fans.

Boy, Rex sure seemed to get a lot of love from all the national broadcasters last year, and has been hyped as one of the top Big 10 players to watch this season. He's even making some of the early Heisman Watch lists. Remains a legend in Texas. He's doing all right in the publicity department.

The QB camps he's attending this spring and summer will increase his chances of playing Sundays dramatically. If his passing didn't improve any from last year there is just no way in hell that he'd catch on in the NFL. At QB anyway. But if he transforms himself into a serviceable passer he might--*MIGHT*--get a chance with an NFL team. Heck, if Timmy Tebo can have a successful career, then why not Taylor? OTOH, he could always jump over to the other side of the ball like Frost did. Martinez is athletic enough to do that. Probably.

QB in the NFL?.........not a chance, maybe a special teams spot, maybe............

If Martinez could pass as good as, say, Tim Tebow. Would he have a chance then?

Swifty and Peterson dropped a few in their day. Held to the same standards we have built up now (in reaction to some drop heavy performances at times, notably in that Texas game, I guess, and Niles Paul's varying absurd errors), they would be ridiculed similarly.

We also pass a lot less these days. The drops stick out, even when they were diving attempts at catches to begin with.

Niles had a bunch of issues and Zac was throwing a weird ball with an injured arm most of the time we saw him (hurt vs Ark State, exacerbated vs VT, if I recall). That caused some issues with ball placement I'm sure, and Taylor has had trouble leading the receivers properly. The number of times we see a wide open guy underneath practically fall down after making a catch because he had to adjust to it. Everyone has their drops, just like every QB misses a throw here or there. Taylor's inconsistencies also haven't made it easier on a WR corps that, outside of maybe Kinnie early on, was pretty solid last year. Why else is Taylor putting in this much work to get better over the summer?

He's got an area he needs improvement in and he's working hard to raise his level. Kudos for that.

The QB camps he's attending this spring and summer will increase his chances of playing Sundays dramatically. If his passing didn't improve any from last year there is just no way in hell that he'd catch on in the NFL. At QB anyway. But if he transforms himself into a serviceable passer he might--*MIGHT*--get a chance with an NFL team. Heck, if Timmy Tebo can have a successful career, then why not Taylor? OTOH, he could always jump over to the other side of the ball like Frost did. Martinez is athletic enough to do that. Probably.

Maybe I read this wrong....after all I am :wasted