Wisconsin fans @ Memorial Stadium

I defended CU fans in 1996 when idiot NU students were throwing urine slush bombs at them, and did the same in 1997 for KSU fans when they scalped tickets in the student section next to us while they were being harrassed. They were scared sh*tless, but thanked us for being good students and congratulated us when they left when the game was out of hand.

Why is this such a difficult concept? At any school?

I'm surprised it took this so long for this thread to turn into a bash Wisconsin thread. Might have helped if I hadn't posted anything at all...

So.... you expect to be coddled and loved on an anonymous message board, but endorse your compatriots for treating opposing fans like crap in person.

That's an interesting set of principles.

"Endorse?" - What am I? A celebrity or politician? Did I just sign something?

...and where are you getting that idea?

Here's what I said on the ES-FU chant:

"it's an unfortunate but very real tradition" [implies disapproval|

On the treatment of opposing fans:

"I wish visitors were treated better"

"I like that road trips to Madison are often dreaded but think that we can achieve that without the widespread buffoonery, unfortunately most students think that behavior is a requirement"

"You found your reception less than pleasurable and I believe you. It's too bad."

So really, if anything, I'm being quite consistent. I never endorsed the behavior of individuals that are especially hostile to visitors, in fact I did the exact oposite...multiple times. I don't expect to be loved or coddled here, just treated the same as other posters.

Not really, you complain about this turning into a bash wisconsin thread1, but yet the reasons as to why we should think otherwise are clearly missing from your posts2. So you expect this thread to "coddle and love" your university,3 when you are fully aware of the preexisting feelings that the majority of the posters have due to experiences with your fanbase. This seems pretty pot meet kettle too me.

1. Where did I complain? I simply made an observation.

2. Think otherwise about what? You want me to convince you that this as not turned into a bash Wisconsin tread?

3. Once again...I never said that.

Oh lets play the "I am just making an observation card." Saunders posted about being treated like dogshit and you immediately went with the "blah blah bash wisconsin." Say what you might, regardless if you meant it, it looks pretty darn clear to me that a strong case of butthurt influenced that post.

• Fire 1

One thing for sure, is that if a Wisconsin player is injured on the field, you won't hear people yelling "Shoot him like a horse!!!"

Really? No sh#$? Fans were yelling that in Wiscy??? Cripes.....

Yup.

This is no different then in 99 when Mike Brown destroyed a Texas A&M, leaving him broken on the field right by the part of East Stadium where the students used to sit. Where he was greeted by several cheers and chants that this board would have you believe no Husker fan would ever dream of saying.

This is no different then in 99 when Mike Brown destroyed a Texas A&M, leaving him broken on the field right by the part of East Stadium where the students used to sit. Where he was greeted by several cheers and chants that this board would have you believe no Husker fan would ever dream of saying.

This is the difference between "the exception" and "the rule." Nobody is saying that NO Husker fan says stupid crap. There are idiots everywhere. Here, it's the exception. That's all anyone is saying.

EDIT - not five minutes after reading/responding to this, I run across this in Brian Christopherson's article about the 1992 Colorado game (which I was at, and it was crazy):

LINK

Memorial Stadium was in, shall we say, rare form that Halloween night.

Police reported 25 ejections, seven arrests, two heart attacks and two fans who were hauled off the field on stretchers during a postgame celebration that included torn-down goal posts.

What about those hospitable fans in the northwest corner of the stadium who’d always applaud the opposing team as they left the field? University police said some were dumping pop on Colorado players.

“I think it was a combination of the opponent, the game and Halloween,” Lincoln Police Capt. John Becker said in the Sunday Journal-Star.

This is the difference between "the exception" and "the rule." Nobody is saying that NO Husker fan says stupid crap. There are idiots everywhere. Here, it's the exception. That's all anyone is saying.

EDIT - not five minutes after reading/responding to this, I run across this in Brian Christopherson's article about the 1992

Colorado game (which I was at, and it was crazy):

LINK

Police reported 25 ejections, seven arrests, two heart attacks and two fans who were hauled off the field on stretchers during a postgame celebration that included torn-down goal posts.

What about those hospitable fans in the northwest corner of the stadium who’d always applaud the opposing team as they left the field? University police said some were dumping pop on Colorado players.

“I think it was a combination of the opponent, the game and Halloween,” Lincoln Police Capt. John Becker said in the Sunday Journal-Star.

To a point, I agree, but here is my biggest beef about the "Nebraska fan" double standard.

Look at the two main evenings where NU fans point to be offended and mistreated down to their goodly souls, the 02 Penn St and last years Wisconsin game. Two games in which Nebraska got their ears pinned back pretty badly. Now I'm sure there was some bad behavior there, I wasn't at either game, but when the first words out NU fan's mouths are complaints about how they were treated so poorly, and that these fans don't handle success with the class and demeanor that "we" did, well it makes every NU fan out there seem like a whiny, arrogant asshat. Especially when there are the same frigging stories about crass NU behavior on other message boards. Not every person in red participates in that, sure, but I bet all 100,000 people in Beaver Stadium weren't pricks that night in 02. Or every single person in Camp Randall last year.

• Fire 1

EDIT - not five minutes after reading/responding to this, I run across this in Brian Christopherson's article about the 1992

Colorado game (which I was at, and it was crazy):

LINK

To a point, I agree, but here is my biggest beef about the "Nebraska fan" double standard.

Look at the two main evenings where NU fans point to be offended and mistreated down to their goodly souls, the 02 Penn St and last years Wisconsin game. Two games in which Nebraska got their ears pinned back pretty badly. Now I'm sure there was some bad behavior there, I wasn't at either game, but when the first words out NU fan's mouths are complaints about how they were treated so poorly, and that these fans don't handle success with the class and demeanor that "we" did, well it makes every NU fan out there seem like a whiny, arrogant asshat. Especially when there are the same frigging stories about crass NU behavior on other message boards. Not every person in red participates in that, sure, but I bet all 100,000 people in Beaver Stadium weren't pricks that night in 02. Or every single person in Camp Randall last year.

NU whupped up on the Buffalos the game they cleared two student sections (2004 I think?) - THIS is the most attrocious home fan behavior ever - and we won (even with BC)

That's true and that's not true. There are plenty of ill-treatment stories from games we've beaten the pants off of opponents. Off the top of my head, 2005 Colorado stands out, but there are plenty more from Columbia and others.

Further, and you're welcome to ask our other Big Ten friends about this, the stadium with the worst reputation in the Big Ten is Camp Randall. I've gotten this from Sparty, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Minnesota fans. It's not just Nebraska Fan, and it's not just butt-hurtedness because we got walloped, it's a recurrent theme.

And while there may be similar stories on other message boards (coincidentally, often from fans whose teams got trounced in Lincoln), you'll find an equal number of opposing coaches, fans, players, local sportswriters, national sportscasters and folks in general who will tell you that Lincoln is not only a safe, nice place to visit, but the nicest, friendliest place they've visited. And that, also, is a recurrent theme.

• Fire 1

05 NU/CU was in Boulder.

And yes I know Camp Randall is a zoo. And I also know that Memorial Stadium/Lincoln is a nice place. I just don't get why people will not let the behavior thing go. Wear a Dodger hat to AT&T park, or a 49er hat at a Raider game, you'd think Camp Randall was a kindergarten.

05 NU/CU was in Boulder.

And yes I know Camp Randall is a zoo. And I also know that Memorial Stadium/Lincoln is a nice place. I just don't get why people will not let the behavior thing go. Wear a Dodger hat to AT&T park, or a 49er hat at a Raider game, you'd think Camp Randall was a kindergarten.

What would you suggest if the topic comes up? That everyone just ignore the elephant in the room? Especially in the off-season when people are desperate to be entertained, I don't know that this is too much.

And if you think we're bad, go to your friendly neighborhood Niners bar and bring up the Raiders. You know you'll get an earful about every slight and cross look from now until 1978. If we're comparing treatment at other places, let's also compare how Husker fans react to ill treatment compared to those folks you bring up. We're tame. Heck, Wiscy Fan is tame compared to the acrimony you find in their bars, or on their message boards.

05 NU/CU was in Boulder.

What would you suggest if the topic comes up? That everyone just ignore the elephant in the room? Especially in the off-season when people are desperate to be entertained, I don't know that this is too much.

And if you think we're bad, go to your friendly neighborhood Niners bar and bring up the Raiders. You know you'll get an earful about every slight and cross look from now until 1978. If we're comparing treatment at other places, let's also compare how Husker fans react to ill treatment compared to those folks you bring up. We're tame. Heck, Wiscy Fan is tame compared to the acrimony you find in their bars, or on their message boards.

As a Norcal resident, yes I know all about Raider fan. But seeing as how all my bulletproof clothes are in the wash, I'll skip going to a Raider bar.

As for the behavior thing, I just hate the retort to us getting smacked on the football team is "well, at least we were classy about things when we were good". It's pathetic.

I just don't understand why people concentrate on other fans in the stadium. When I go to a Husker game I am worried about the game and that is what I am focused on and that alone. Unless there are some horrible fans making it impossible for me to ignore them would be the only time I would worry about the other fans around me. I direct my comments, cheers and jeers toward the field and the competition being played in front of me. I don't want to be distracted by having to deal with others around me. Keep it toward the field, who cares what everyone else is saying. I know it is not possible to ignore some of the issues being discussed but if everyone just payed attention to the game this wouldn't be an issue.

For the most part Wisconsin fans will have a great experience at the game in Lincoln. I am sure that some will have a negative experience because, lets face it all teams have some, some A-hole wearing NU gear will call names, yell insults and just be rude. Remember alcohol makes some people 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

there are a lot more people that will invite Badger fans to a tailgate.

Have fun and enjoy the night game atmosphere

As a Norcal resident, yes I know all about Raider fan. But seeing as how all my bulletproof clothes are in the wash, I'll skip going to a Raider bar.

As for the behavior thing, I just hate the retort to us getting smacked on the football team is "well, at least we were classy about things when we were good". It's pathetic.

As a former NorCal resident, I knew you would know what I was saying. ;)

But the fact is, we don't resort to this kind of rationalization. The proof of that is that we've had this reputation of being friendly for decades. It's not some kneejerk reaction to recent mediocrity, it's a way of life here. You brie-eating, parka-wearing-when-it's-45-degrees westerners just don't know what life is like here, apparently. I hate to sound all superior, but the honest truth is, as a Nebraskan, I am. :D

And Husker Rob, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll invite Badger Fan (and Badgerfan/Bucky, if he's able to make it) to the tailgate I hang at. They're all welcome, just as Sparty was, just as Buckeye Fan was, just as Northwestern Fan was (although there were very few of them). Iowa Fan just made themselves at home last year, because we're basically the same folks, they just wear funny colors to their football games and get all excited about Herky - which isn't nearly as cool as Herbie, or Lil Red. But there's no accounting for taste, apparently.

As a former NorCal resident, I knew you would know what I was saying. ;)

But the fact is, we don't resort to this kind of rationalization. The proof of that is that we've had this reputation of being friendly for decades. It's not some kneejerk reaction to recent mediocrity, it's a way of life here. You brie-eating, parka-wearing-when-it's-45-degrees westerners just don't know what life is like here, apparently. I hate to sound all superior, but the honest truth is, as a Nebraskan, I am. :D

And Husker Rob, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll invite Badger Fan (and Badgerfan/Bucky, if he's able to make it) to the tailgate I hang at. They're all welcome, just as Sparty was, just as Buckeye Fan was, just as Northwestern Fan was

(although there were very few of them). Iowa Fan just made themselves at home last year, because we're basically the same folks, they just wear funny colors to their football games and get all excited about Herky - which isn't nearly as cool as Herbie, or Lil Red. But there's no accounting for taste, apparently.

Hey now, #1 Brie is awesome, #2, 45 degrees is cold, and they're North Face or Patagonia fleeces and they're AWESOME.

And yes, my time in Lincoln was nice, and forth most part, had a lot of nice people. But you know as well as I do how some of the fans got in the 90's. During my time at NU (fall of 96 to 01) I heard all kinds of pleasantries towards opponents, other fans, and the like. I also heard precisely ZERO complaints about how bad the opponents fans were (like say, KState) because the team was flat out mud holing people. Lo and behold, after the face mask, the 99 game in Lincoln got pretty testy. That's not to say the "Ksu, still our bitch" chant sung to the "Gooooooooooo Biiiiiiiig Rrrrrrrrreeeed" wasn't funny, but it goes against this nostalgia for an age that never existed with a lot of people on this board.

That's not to say Nebraskans aren't nice, but in my honest opinion we're the nicest when we're having our own way, and awfully pouty and entitled when we aren't.