Barfknecht: Does Penn State belong in Big Ten?

NUance

Barfknecht: Does Penn State belong in Big Ten?

IN MY OPINION, By Lee Barfknecht, WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

The criminal work is done in the Jerry Sandusky child sexual-abuse scandal at Penn State. Guilty on 45 of 48 counts, with sentencing to follow that should put the 68-year-old away for life.

Civil lawsuits will follow. The school knows it could be on the hook for payouts that rival a small country’s national debt.

And now that a CNN investigation has revealed emails detailing evidence of a cover-up at the highest levels — implicating coaching idol Joe Paterno and PSU President Graham Spanier — the cry is out for the NCAA to examine the Nittany Lions for penalties.

Right idea. Wrong group.

This isn’t a central matter for the NCAA. Discussions about whether Penn State football should get the death penalty aren’t truly relevant. PSU athletics gained no competitive advantage through this, and the general athletic population was unaware of the problems.

The institution that needs to consider real action against Penn State is the Big Ten Conference.

<snip>

Is that how the Big Ten does business? And is that the kind of operation the Big Ten wants to associate itself with?

LINK

Wow, Lee. Just wow. Not pulling the punches on this one are you? :lol:

It's kind of shocking that Lee raises the question. I think I'll have to mull it over a bit--since kicking Penn State out of the conf just isn't something that crossed my mind before. My kneejerk reaction is to say, yes. The B1G shouldn't kick Penn State out over this. One the other hand, perhaps some sort of penalty is in order. After all, Penn State's actions have dragged the B1G 10's good name though the mud. And will continue to do so for years to come.

Wow, Lee. Just wow. Not pulling the punches on this one are you? :lol:

It's kind of shocking that Lee raises the question. I think I'll have to mull it over a bit--since kicking Penn State out of the conf just isn't something that crossed my mind before. My kneejerk reaction is to say, yes. The B1G shouldn't kick Penn State out over this. One the other hand, perhaps some sort of penalty is in order. After all, Penn State's actions have dragged the B1G 10's good name though the mud. And will continue to do so for years to come.

What would be the purpose of penalizing them more than they will inevitably punish themselves... or will be by others?

And who would that benefit? Some of the victims still might be fans..Why make them second guess themselves even more than they probably have?

Definitely clean house if they haven't already, but Penn State might not survive this if we're not careful.

It's not even fun to call them "State Penn" anymore.

Big Ten presidents need to get together and vote Barf out of the Big Ten. And is he the kind of journalist the Big Ten wants to associate itself with?

I am not a fan of Barf and rarely agree with him, but I'll give him credit for generally being a fairly accomplished wordsmith. As for this article, I don't have a problem with opinion pieces on either side.

I do think it opens us up to some criticism as far as being the "newby" and claiming to understand the BIG's rep and traditions as if we have long been associated with them. That part looks unseemly.

But then again, I thought it incongruous that PearlJam was the spokesman for the conference nationally on the recent playoff discussion (although I understand his role in the BCS preceded him)

As big as football is, it's just one part of a larger whole that makes up Penn State and, ultimately, the Big 10. And as far as we know, the cover-up was localized to a half-dozen people whose moral fiber should rightly be questioned.

But to throw out a whole university, including the academics, from the Big 10 for this? As heinous a crime as this is, you'd really have to be myopic to think this is anything close to a reasonable or viable course of action.

Penn State will be rightfully castigated in the court of public opinion for years...nay...decades, and the school just lost (or, at least, severely tarnished) most of their football progrsm's history and tradition due to Paterno's direct link to the cover-up.

We may not see it right away, but we will see an impact. Not all transgressions or errors in the environment need immediate correction--it's wiser and more prudent to let things play out and look at the big picture instead of looking for immediate and drastic fixes for problems that don't necessarily need them.

Has PSU and Ohio State's fall from grace dampened anyone's enthusiasm for this conference? I think I know the answer but will ask anyway.

I don't know if it has dampened enthusiasm, but I'd bet it has reduced the number of jeers that would have been hurled in the BIG's direction from Husker fans..............

Has PSU and Ohio State's fall from grace dampened anyone's enthusiasm for this conference? I think I know the answer but will ask anyway.

I don't know if it has dampened enthusiasm, but I'd bet it has reduced the number of jeers that would have been hurled in the BIG's direction from Husker fans..............

Wouldn't it have increased? Seems like UNL fans would be more critical of the Big Ten now, not less.

Wouldn't it have increased? Seems like UNL fans would be more critical of the Big Ten now, not less.

I was thinking how much fun we would have had at the BIG's expense............now that we are a part of that................not so much...........

Similar to how we scoffed at the notion of a "brutal in-conference schedule that resulted in tearing each other up"...........until last year when we didn't compete at the level we thought we would.......

I was thinking how much fun we would have had at the BIG's expense............now that we are a part of that................not so much...........

Similar to how we scoffed at the notion of a "brutal in-conference schedule that resulted in tearing each other up"...........until last year when we didn't compete at the level we thought we would.......

That makes me think of another question that comes from reading other conference's boards. How much fun did other B1G schools have at NU's expense? How much ribbing was there?

Mizzou and A&M fans are being hammered by SEC fans. It's brutal. I didn't see much that compares to that with UNL, no hazing on that level. Most B1G fans were generally happy to see the Huskers join, just as I think most Big 12 fans are happy to see WVU jump on ship so there's been much less hostility.

As far as the thread's topic I don't think that the Sandusky scandal means PSU doesn't belong in the Big Ten. They're still a valuable institution with now decade-long history in the conference. The scandal is upsetting and seems to reveal serious problems at Penn State but that seems like an issue that would be best addressed by the authorities, alumni and citizens of Pennsylvania. Maybe they should shut down football for a few years or just clean house completely and keep playing...I don't know the right answer on that one.

That makes me think of another question that comes from reading other conference's boards. How much fun did other B1G schools have at NU's expense? How much ribbing was there?

Mizzou and A&M fans are being hammered by SEC fans. It's brutal. I didn't see much that compares to that with UNL, no hazing on that level. Most B1G fans were generally happy to see the Huskers join, just as I think most Big 12 fans are happy to see WVU jump on ship so there's been much less hostility.

That could be due to the fact that A) the Midwest is generally more tolerant to outsiders or B) Nebraska actually brought something to the table in tradition, academics, athletics and the like. Basically we have a nice package. (OCQ tread material for ya) Academically I know A&M is pretty respectable and Mizzou is know for their journalism school but for an athletic conference there really isn't much there between the two. Maybe some new TV markets and some fodder for rankings. Between Mizzou and A&M there are only 2 national titles that belong to A&M from over 70 years ago. And I honestly can't tell you a Missouri claim to fame. aTm can also taut that they had Bear Bryant coach there and they have male cheerleaders that like to yell a lot.

That could be due to the fact that A) the Midwest is generally more tolerant to outsiders or B) Nebraska actually brought something to the table in tradition, academics, athletics and the like. Basically we have a nice package. (OCQ tread material for ya) Academically I know A&M is pretty respectable and Mizzou is know for their journalism school but for an athletic conference there really isn't much there between the two. Maybe some new TV markets and some fodder for rankings. Between Mizzou and A&M there are only 2 national titles that belong to A&M from over 70 years ago. And I honestly can't tell you a Missouri claim to fame. aTm can also taut that they had Bear Bryant coach there and they have male cheerleaders that like to yell a lot.

B - Unless they are in the top 10 (or behind the opponents back board) Missouri's fans are invisible. The face of aTm are the male cheer leaders. Put that in a room of some good ol' CFC (confederate football conference) boys and see what happens. Academics in the south rank behind football, tailgating, recruiting, partying, spring football and Greek life (except for football, in no particular order)

And there is no added value to the league with MU and aTm -

And they probably saw Missouri's 1980's message board.

B - Unless they are in the top 10 (or behind the opponents back board) Missouri's fans are invisible. The face of aTm are the male cheer leaders. Put that in a room of some good ol' CFC (confederate football conference) boys and see what happens. Academics in the south rank behind football, tailgating, recruiting, partying, spring football and Greek life (except for football, in no particular order)

And there is no added value to the league with MU and aTm -

And they probably saw Missouri's 1980's message board.

Yeah, all that. And NU brings considerably more to the table. A MUCH better football program than either Mizzou or aTm. Three MNC trophies from the not so distant past. (Or is it distance past already?) And I think most fans expected NU to come in and compete for the conference championship--or at least be in the running. Mizzou and aTm will not be better than middle of the pack in the SEC. Maybe ever.