Batman Massacre - 12 Killed in Theater shooting; internet forum partially responsible

WHO THEY WERE

Aurora movie theater victims

Jessica N. Ghawi, 24

In early June, Jessica Ghawi walked out of a Toronto mall moments before a gunman walked in. The shootings that followed killed two people and wounded half a dozen more.

“I was shown how fragile life was,” Ghawi wrote on her personal blog. “… I was reminded that we don't know when or where our time on Earth will end.”

Ghawi, who went by Jessica Redfield professionally, had moved to Denver from Texas a year ago to pursue a career as a sports journalist. She worked as an intern at Denver sports radio station 104.3 The Fan, and with the You Can Play Project, a gay-rights group that supports equality in the locker room.

"I specialize in sports media and snark," Ghawi wrote on her blog. "Not your typical sarcastic feisty redhead attempting to perfect the trifecta of class, sass, and crass. Yankee born, Texas raised, Colorado blooming."

John T. Larimer, 27

John Larimer had been in the United States Navy for just over a year when he died, officials said. He was a petty officer third class and had been stationed at Aurora’s Buckley Air Force Base since October. Larimer worked as a cryptologic technician in a unit from the U.S. Fleet Cyber Command/U.S. Tenth Fleet.

The Navy informed Larimer’s family of his death Friday, his parents said in a statement. His brother is working with the Navy to bring Larimer’s body home to Crystal Lake, Ill.

"I am incredibly saddened by the loss of Petty Officer John Larimer--he was an outstanding shipmate,” Larimer’s commanding officer, Cmdr. Jeffrey Jakuboski, said in a statement. “A valued member of our Navy team, he will be missed by all who knew him. My heart goes out to John's family, friends and loved ones, as well as to all victims of this horrible tragedy.”

LINK

It's hard to believe a person could be such a monster that they'd kill innocent, random people like this. It's a sad world we live in.

This whole situation only strengthens my belief in conceal/carry

in a dark, crowded movie theater where a sociopath threw a smoke/gas bomb, i do not think another weapon carried by a civilian would have helped much. what would have helped is if civilians were prohibited from assault weapons, especially with extended magazines.

edit: also, colorado is a conceal/carry state.

• Fire 2

Why do so many people want this guy dead? Im sorry, maybe its just me, but I want the harshest punishment for this guy. Make the kid live in solitary confinement for the rest of his life. Death is too quick and easy. 70 years living by himself, no contact with anyone is ALOT worse than death IMHO. Make him think about what he did to all these people, make him think about what his life could have been like had he gone for his PhD and made something out of himself. Solitary confinement is more torture than death...

If James Holmes was Arab it'd be "terrorism". If he was black, he'd be a "thug". But he's white, so it's "mental illness" ... Smh

Dead-on

Really?

Going to take this to the race card...

How about the Virginia tech shooter...

Oklahoma City Bomber was considered a terrorist.

This is not about race.

Virginia Tech was of Asian race. It's not hard to see that there isn't as big as stereotype attached to them, at least around here. Bombing will always be considered terrorism, regardless of race. I'd say their statement is pretty accurate.

If James Holmes was Arab it'd be "terrorism". If he was black, he'd be a "thug". But he's white, so it's "mental illness" ... Smh

Dead-on

Really?

This is not about race.

Virginia Tech was of Asian race. It's not hard to see that there isn't as big as stereotype attached to them, at least around here. Bombing will always be considered terrorism, regardless of race. I'd say their statement is pretty accurate.

No it isnt... Everyone turns this crap in to : This race does that... That race does this.... Maybe it is just messed up human beings doing all of this.

I hate the mental illness plea.. Skin color doesnt affect crazy.

Why does everything have to turn into a racial issue?

This guy either had mental problems or some really screwed up ideals. You can say the same thing for "thugs" or "terrorists." Come on.

to be fair, mass killings like this seem to be a uniquely white phenomenon. however, i do agree with you. also, i do think this person obviously had mental issues and you would have to have serious mental problems or screwed up ideals to kill that many innocent people.

to be fair, mass killings like this seem to be a uniquely white phenomenon.

Incidents like this: yeah it seems like it, but I think that is likely due to the US being predominantly white.

Remember also that the DC snipers were black and the VT shooter was Asian. People from all walks of life are equally capable of this sort of thing.

• Fire 1

to be fair, mass killings like this seem to be a uniquely white phenomenon.

Incidents like this: yeah it seems like it, but I think that is likely due to the US being predominantly white.

Remember also that the DC snipers were black and the VT shooter was Asian. People from all walks of life are equally capable of this sort of thing.

i am not arguing with you about the race thing. i did not include the dc snipers because i thought that was different enough. i think there is something about modern (specifically privileged, suburban) life that facilitates maniacs. i have nothing other than anecdotal evidence and a hunch, but it seems to be a theme.

Dead-on

Really?

This is not about race.

No it isnt... Everyone turns this crap in to : This race does that... That race does this.... Maybe it is just messed up human beings doing all of this.

I hate the mental illness plea.. Skin color doesnt affect crazy.

No one is arguing that they are all lunatics. It's simply saying that if James Holmes were of a different race you would likely see news agenices attaching a label. That's not me being racist, thats me saying how it is. To think that anything different would happen is foolish.