Dobson was at Big Red Dinner Tonight

i think this is more and more what Pelini calls putting in the whole "culture"....

also makes me realize how amazing the culture was up through Solich. even more amazing how fast C******n tore it down.

pretty amazing Bo has rebuilt it this quickly and still won 9 games a year to boot.

As my memory comes back...

Dobson said that with the 105 that report to fall camp, there's probably another 45 or so players that will not be reporting, but are still on the team (I assume this is all the walk ons).

He said that each and every new player is evaluated on the first day that they come into the program, and then over the course of 5 weeks going into fall camp, there are further evaluations, escalating conditioning, and further preparation. I was shocked that he said some recruits came in on day one and had literally never been in a weight room before. It sounds like most get their butts kicked for the first few weeks.

He mentioned the summer 7-on-7 drills. The players are now being held accountable by each other to learn play books and schemes. So, while coaches cannot have contact during the summer months, the players are acting as their own coaches. Building each other up, adding input as they go, etc. According to Dobson, where in seasons past, fall camp would start on the proverbial page 1, now they are starting on page 7, because the players knew what they needed to do during the summer, and stuck to it. Said that the upperclassmen have really been pushing the younger players in this regard.

It was also mentioned several times Nebraska's history of being a the forefront of strength & conditioning. Although Dobson never got into specifics, he did say that they were poised to take a big jump and be in the forefront again. I can only assume that he meant the new sports science facilities. I never knew it, but he mentioned that during the 80's most of the major programs strength staff's were headed by former Nebraska guys.

As my memory comes back...

Dobson said that with the 105 that report to fall camp, there's probably another 45 or so players that will not be reporting, but are still on the team (I assume this is all the walk ons).

He said that each and every new player is evaluated on the first day that they come into the program, and then over the course of 5 weeks going into fall camp, there are further evaluations, escalating conditioning, and further preparation. I was shocked that he said some recruits came in on day one and had literally never been in a weight room before. It sounds like most get their butts kicked for the first few weeks.

He mentioned the summer 7-on-7 drills. The players are now being held accountable by each other to learn play books and schemes. So, while coaches cannot have contact during the summer months, the players are acting as their own coaches. Building each other up, adding input as they go, etc. According to Dobson, where in seasons past, fall camp would start on the proverbial page 1, now they are starting on page 7, because the players knew what they needed to do during the summer, and stuck to it. Said that the upperclassmen have really been pushing the younger players in this regard.

It was also mentioned several times Nebraska's history of being a the forefront of strength & conditioning. Although Dobson never got into specifics, he did say that they were poised to take a big jump and be in the forefront again. I can only assume that he meant the new sports science facilities. I never knew it, but he mentioned that during the 80's most of the major programs strength staff's were headed by former Nebraska guys.

Thanks for the refresher. I hope the extra emphasis on peer accountability makes a huge difference in our prep.

S&C used to be our big edge, we got away with playing so many walk-ons because we overachieved via S&C. Hopefully with the new sports science dept we can be on the forefront again.

Cross does seem like a beast but with Heard back at rb I don't see him getting enough reps to burn his shirt. Marrow can be used as a big-back. Unless he can really assert himself as #2 qb I want to see Armstrong shirt too. TM has another season left and we have other guys that can take the garbage-time/emergency qb roll at #3.

Liked Whitaker's film, kid is a mauler, solid sleeper pick-up. Think he was a little underrated because he mostly run-blocked and and hadn't filled-out yet. Excited that he's already made progress towards getting up to college size. Should be over 290lbs of good weight by his rs-soph season.

Burkhead said we're doing different things this summer- mxing things ups, increasing competition, and reinforcing concentration. Read elsewhere that Milt had some input on O-line S&C. Hopefully we're evolving to where we need to be to help offset our recruiting disadvantage.

i think this is more and more what Pelini calls putting in the whole "culture"....

also makes me realize how amazing the culture was up through Solich. even more amazing how fast C******n tore it down.

pretty amazing Bo has rebuilt it this quickly and still won 9 games a year to boot.

while i see progress in some of what Bo has accomplished, he hasn't totally rebuilt the culture, he has more work to do here.

Crouch was there too and took his plate down like a man.

:confucius

I just thought it was funny, that Dobson being in S&C and most likely very picky about his food intake, completely avoided the food - even thought he was there 4+ hours & over the dinner time. Crouch on the other hand (who is also in great shape) was scarfing down potatoes and chicken no problem.