Dienhart: Things I learned at Nebraska practice

NUance

Dienhart: Things I learned at Nebraska practice

By Tom Dienhart, BTN.com, posted on 8/10/12 @ 9:22am

<snip>

Defensive coordinator John Papuchis wants to get his first-team set, and then focus on developing depth. He knows the importance of having a good two-deep as the season wears on. Papuchis installed a 3-4 at practice last night, displaying an array of talent at linebacker. In addition to the three senior starters in Alonzo Whaley, Will Compton and Sean Fisher, Papuchis feels good about JC transfer Zaire Anderson, along with true freshman Michael Rose, who ran as the No. 2 middle linebacker in the practice I watched.

LINK

Good read. I'm looking forward to seeing the BTN report tonight. :thumbs:

No player I saw is better put together than end Jason Ankrah. The 6-4, 265-pound junior looks like he’s chiseled from marble. No doubt, he passes the eyeball test, as does most of this roster.

Does Ankrah explode this year? He showed flashes last year. I thought he'd be the next great Husker DE. In the mold of Wistrom or Vanden Bosch.

He still might be. :koolaid2:

Damn. You might as well post that article in the Kool-Aid thread!

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

• Fire 1

Awesome article. Great tidbits in there, from what is essentially an outsider's perspective. Great to hear confirmation on what we've been speculating on Cross. Glad I got to meet him and get his autograph the other day. That chance may not come along again, unless I'm willing to stand in what is typically a huge RB line. :D

Can't wait to see the show tonight. :)

Damn. You might as well post that article in the Kool-Aid thread!

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

Oh yeah!

I love hearing how studly the D-Line looks. Let's hope they play with some fire this season!

Me too. But I'm gonna adopt a wait-and-see approach. Last year I thought they'd be great. Turned out, not so much. This year I think they will be better. But we won't really know until about mid-October.

I love hearing how studly the D-Line looks. Let's hope they play with some fire this season!

Me too. But I'm gonna adopt a wait-and-see approach. Last year I thought they'd be great. Turned out, not so much. This year I think they will be better. But we won't really know until about mid-October.

NUance, you never told us you were Native American.

You know, part of the Waitandsee Tribe! *rimshot*

I like reading that papuchis installed a 3-4. I had a feeling we might do it and I know it won't be permanent, but I definitely think it is something we are capable of doing personnel wise. Our base I'm guessing is still the same but it never hurts to throw something new at a team and any time we can get more speed on the field defensively I think it makes us a much more aggressive and dangerous team.

I'm with you, but once fall camp starts and the season gets close, I slowly convince myself the Huskers can and then will win every game. First loss of the season snaps me back to my more realistic outlook of around mid-June.