The Tyler Moore Explanation

knapplc

I would be interested to know what, if anything, Pelini did to intervene and convince Moore or any of the others who left the campus to stay at Nebraska. There just has to be more to this story than we are hearing. I am not buying into the “Oh, it happens all the time” garbage. Something is drastically wrong with the gears in the machine to make it not run smoothly. Considering the quality of those who left, something is amiss. Seems to me someone (Dr. Tom) needs to do some evaluation of the goings on with the structure of the program.

Perhaps something was wrong with the gears in the machine in prior years, they did some evaluation this off season - and this is the result of getting things realigned? This is completely hypothetical and maybe giving Bo a little too much credit (because I think he is far to stubborn to do this) - but my guess is when he was hired, there was a 6-8 year plan to turn things around. There is zero chance Tom and he thought that it could be done in a few years - and it's certainly not possible to do it all in year 1 without destroying the program. Not at Nebraska. We don't have the recruiting advantage/talent. First phase in that plan was Watson. Keep offensive continuity while improving the defense. Improve the culture. Right the ship. It's possible we are seeing the second phase. Change/restore the culture. Accountability. Create a product not seen at other institutions. While Stanford can sell their education, Nebraska can sell their culture/values. Not everyone is going to align with that. I don't think Moore would have been included in this group...but it's possible some other things he was enduring as part of these changes carried over. Phase 3 might be the youth we are seeing on the staff. Build a staff based on potential and pray it works out. BC gone after this year (a year too late IMO). Brown possibly moving on this year or next. A young, energetic staff unlike at any other school. It changes recruiting. It makes Nebraska unique. It's a huge risk, but if it works out you've got the foundation of a dynasty....similar to how Tom's was built - 8 years of no championship followed by 15 great years w/ staff continuity through the entire run.

...like I said...completely hypothetical. But it'd be nice to think this was all part of a bigger plan.

The first part about Watson was completely part of the plan. A 3 and 9 year would have killed us Bo's first year.

So this is a Barney Cotton issue then...

Not trying to start another Fire Barney assault, but Brian didn't even mention TM's own position coach in the coaches he loves. AKA the person most directly related to his growth as a player.

I thought Garrison was more in charge of the tackles and Barney was more in charge of the guards/center . That's what a certain journalist told me when Garrison got hired, maybe that's changed since then, or maybe it wasn't true to begin with.

Correct but Barney makes the final calls as far as depth chart, practice reps etc. In small groups they each work with those guys to focus on techniques. They do switch it up some now so its a little more blended and one guy might see something another doesn't with a player.

Recruiting yes...but I think we found out how expendable Sanders was...and most said good riddance to him as well at the time.

Is this another one of those instances where you invent your own reality to try and prove a point?

If anyone was saying good riddance to Coach Sanders, it was because of his extracurricular shenanigans. I thought he was generally considered our best position coach, if he wasn't, he should have been. Since he was our best position coach. Who, exactly, was saying he was expendable? Not that it matters, since they were idiots, whoever they were.

I don't see how it's comparable to Barney's situation in any significant way. Barney's probably our worst position coach. It would be much easier to upgrade that spot than it was to fill Sanders' shoes.

Recruiting yes...but I think we found out how expendable Sanders was...and most said good riddance to him as well at the time.

Is this another one of those instances where you invent your own reality to try and prove a point?

If anyone was saying good riddance to Coach Sanders, it was because of his extracurricular shenanigans. I thought he was generally considered our best position coach, if he wasn't, he should have been. Since he was our best position coach. Who, exactly, was saying he was expendable? Not that it matters, since they were idiots, whoever they were.

I don't see how it's comparable to Barney's situation in any significant way. Barney's probably our worst position coach. It would be much easier to upgrade that spot than it was to fill Sanders' shoes.

:dunno

You know, when you really think about it. Offensive lineman come out with some of the worst long term injuries after a college or NFL career. Wasn't there a Husker lineman not too long ago that could've gone pro and instead choose not to because he didn't want long term injuries.

Not saying that is the case with Moore, but something like that has to come to mind for every football player at some point during their career.

You know, when you really think about it. Offensive lineman come out with some of the worst long term injuries after a college or NFL career. Wasn't there a Husker lineman not too long ago that could've gone pro and instead choose not to because he didn't want long term injuries.

Not saying that is the case with Moore, but something like that has to come to mind for every football player at some point during their career.

Hickman

I believe you're thinking of Jacob Hickman. Probably would have found an NFL team had he gone pro after the 2009 season, but decided against it. IIRC, he played through some serious injuries, including a bowling ball size bruise somewhere on his body (I believe the hip) for a good portion of the season.

I still don't understand why I keep opening this thread. Nothing productive is ever in it, and it's not worth my time or anybody else's on this board to read... *sigh*

Because you, like me, are looking for any shred of a conversation to help pass the unyielding boredom stretching from now to September 1st.

• Fire 1

I still don't understand why I keep opening this thread. Nothing productive is ever in it, and it's not worth my time or anybody else's on this board to read... *sigh*

Because you, like me, are looking for any shred of a conversation to help pass the unyielding boredom stretching from now to September 1st.

I'm still hoping for pics of the girlfriend