The Tyler Moore Explanation

knapplc

I agree with you, especially the last part. He wouldn't be wrong about Barney in my estimation. But you don't can a coach for the sake of a player. That is such a horrible message to send to the team. You never know though, Barney may be in his last season of coaching regardless. I just wish we were not at this juncture.

Maybe not one player. Maybe not two players. But how many players have to fail to reach potential, leave the team, get busted in unfortunate circumstances and otherwise fail to meet their recruiting expectations before you say that something on that coach's watch isn't right?

The camel can only hold so many straws.

I knew the walking out of practice wasn't true when Bo said he never attended the Friday morning meeting. Plus he never flew back, they drove back to Florida. Rumors are such a pain in the ass.

I talked to a guy who was at practice. He said one minute Moore was there the next he was walking of the field. He said everyone was looking at Cotton. He said it wasn't a big scene like it was made out to be and didn't know what had happened until everyone said Moore had quit. I have no reason to doubt this. I assume this was on Thursday. I learned about it on Saturday if my days aren't mixed up.

yeah, I'm with you there. I think Cotton has to go for the sake of all the future players that are going to come through this program, if we want to be able to both get the best, and develop them to their full potential. However, this is a tough place for Bo. How can you go and replace Barney now when it would plainly be in response to this?

I would say he brought this upon himself by a) hiring him in the first place, and b) hanging on to him for this long. But all that is in the past, and we're still at a very ugly juncture right now. I appreciate that both sides are making a very commendable effort to have this all play out in a nice way.

He needs to get off this whole dream of playing for the steelers nonsense, first off you don't choose who you play for unless you decline the contract of the team who drafted you, and then take an enormous pay cut and basically become a free agent and hope they want you. Also we don't even know if he's going to be good enough the play in the NFL let alone get drafted, that's 3 years away and you can't base your life off of wanting to play on a specific NFL team.

yeah, I'm with you there. I think Cotton has to go for the sake of all the future players that are going to come through this program, if we want to be able to both get the best, and develop them to their full potential. However, this is a tough place for Bo. How can you go and replace Barney now when it would plainly be in response to this?

I would say he brought this upon himself by a) hiring him in the first place, and b) hanging on to him for this long. But all that is in the past, and we're still at a very ugly juncture right now. I appreciate that both sides are making a very commendable effort to have this all play out in a nice way.

I agree with you. I don't think Cotton's hire was a terrible decision at the start, but I agree that he's probably held onto him too long. In fairness to Pelini, though, I don't think it's fair to fire Cotton just yet. His units haven't been great, but they also haven't been terrible. They're simply 'meh.' That's why I put a lot more emphasis on this year, and if Cotton remains until 2013, that season as well. With how much talent and experience we'll have coming back, underperformance will be inexcusable. But even then, do we trust a coach who takes five to six years to put a great product on the field? I don't think we do.

It's my firm belief the reason we haven't won a conference championship in the last four years is because of our offense, and specifically, our offensive line.

I don't think he ever said he was. Just that it was his dream to play for the Steelers. Anyone who's a childhood fan of a program has a dream like that.

Actually now that I think of it, I don't think he ever even said anything about that.

Yeah, every single guy who ever suited up for NU dreamed of playing on their favorite NFL team.

/and you're right. His was his gf who tweeted it.

Doesn't sound like he will be coming back. Something isn't being said here. Its got to be more than missing his gf. Does he see himself as a starter and he isn't, or is frustrated at the way he is being taught to play the position. What ever it is, I think it would be hard to come back after letting a whole season go by, and have to face the teammates you walked out on. It would take a big man to do that. I'm sure there will be a few fans that won't want him back now, but I think most of us would welcome him back. What ever he decides, best of luck to him.

GBR!!!

So this is a Barney Cotton issue then...

Not trying to start another Fire Barney assault, but Brian didn't even mention TM's own position coach in the coaches he loves. AKA the person most directly related to his growth as a player.

I thought Garrison was more in charge of the tackles and Barney was more in charge of the guards/center . That's what a certain journalist told me when Garrison got hired, maybe that's changed since then, or maybe it wasn't true to begin with.

This sounds like a good decision on his part. Hundreds(probably more like thousands) of students leave UNL every semester and go to CC or take a semester off for a number of personal reasons. It isn't at all surprising that a football player might have some of the same troubles as any other student. Wish him luck, hope he comes back to Nebraska. If it isn't right for him here I hope he learns from the experience.