Who's your backup?

knapplc

Word on the street is Beck says both Brion Carnes and Tommy Armstrong are "neck and neck" coming at this point in Fall camp. If camp ends and it's a virtual tie, who do you put in for mop-up duty, or if (God forbid) Martinez gets dinged up?

Some things to consider - this is Carnes' second year in this offense, and reports paint a picture of a guy with a far better grasp of everything than last year. He doesn't appear to be "swimming in it" any more.

This is Armstrong's first year, a potential redshirt year. You could redshirt him this year, let him get some mop-up duty next year and let him compete for the starting job in 2014 with three full years of eligibility left.

A little torn...on one hand it might be great for Armstrong to be able to get some game experience, as backups typically do. It could be really valuable for him in the future. On the other hand, Carnes likely knows the offense much better and if Taylor goes down, Carnes might be the better guy to replace him simply due to knowing the system better. The redshirting factor comes into play too...this is a tough one. Whatever Bo decides here is fine by me.

• Fire 1

At this point, as far as mop-up duty, I think you've gotta go with Carnes. No point in wasting a year of TA just for a few snaps. That said, if Taylor goes down.. especially early in the season, that's a whole different deck of cards. I'd still go with Carnes, though, unless Armstrong is clear-cut better than Carnes.

• Fire 1

Word on the street is Beck says both Brion Carnes and Tommy Armstrong are "neck and neck" coming at this point in Fall camp. If camp ends and it's a virtual tie, who do you put in for mop-up duty, or if (God forbid) Martinez gets dinged up?

Some things to consider - this is Carnes' second year in this offense, and reports paint a picture of a guy with a far better grasp of everything than last year. He doesn't appear to be "swimming in it" any more.

This is Armstrong's first year, a potential redshirt year. You could redshirt him this year, let him get some mop-up duty next year and let him compete for the starting job in 2014 with three full years of eligibility left.

J. Stanton will be here looking for a starting job in 2013! It may be time to close your eyes, squeeze the fruit and see how hard the nut is in the middle! If carnes can't cut this year, it may be time to get him a personalized clipboard. Unless he wants to transfer(which I have predicted and actually me best for him) he could get lost on a deep QB roster come 2013!

Let's say Taylor stays healthy and plays out his final 2 years as a starter! That leaves 2014 with possible RS frosh Johnny big NUTZ Stanton in a battle with Tommy the Gunn Armstrong for the starting job! Both of which I think will be higher up than Carnes. Too bad for the kid but that's how she goes in today's big time college fooshball!

So as far as this years mop up man, I say Tommy! If after his short amount of time, our OC puts him neck and neck with a 3rd year guy, I'll take the young gun! Sounds like he has a little of that edge another guy named Tommy had. Can't wait to see it play out! GBR!

If Armstrong is the future I hope he redshirts. At this point we should have a serviceable backup in Carnes or Kellogg. Putting on the field early might be fun for fans. I don't see the benefit to the program, provided Taylor doesn't get hurt, which would obviously be a much different conversation.