What B1G team will be the biggest overachiever?

NUance

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AP Poll

1 (AP#8): Michigan

2 (AP#12) Wisconsin

3 (AP#13) Michigan State

4 (AP#17) Nebraska

5 (AP#18) Ohio State

6 (AP#NR) Penn State (Athlon #44)_____NOTE: Teams #6 - #12 use the Athon ranking since they're not ranked in the AP. LINK

7 (AP#NR) Northwestern (Athlon #49)

8 (AP#NR) Iowa (Athlon #50)

9 (AP#NR) Illinois (Athlon #52)

10(AP#NR) Purdue (Athlon #53)

11(AP#NR) Minnesota (Athlon #62)

12(AP#NR) Indiana (Athlon #89)

Other rankings (AP | Coaches | BCS | Harris): LINK

edit: When I say "jump up the most spots" I mean jump up the most spots within the 12 B1G teams--not jump up the most spots in the Athlon ranking, e.g., Purdue could jump up 4 spots from #10 to #6 in the B1G rankings.

I took Penn State. Disgusting scandal aside, I think O'Brien is going to be a great coach. His contract was automatically extended by one year, for each year of sanctions. This told me that he entered the place with eyes wide open, prepared and committed for the long haul.

Losing Silas Redd was huge, of course, and a few others hurt almost as much. Breaking in a new system under duress cannot be easy.

But I think their coach is the key that could show them breaking out this year, beyond all expectations. I hope the Huskers take that game seriously. I suppose by that point, PSU will either be roaring or failing, and hard to miss in any event.

The next few years for them will be entirely dependent on this year, I think. And their recruiting may be determined by how many guys they put in the NFL in the next draft.

I'm picking us because I have been beating the drum on an 11-2 record with a BCS bid! Also should get us a top 4-8 final ranking depending on the bowl outcome against Oklahoma! 2013 preseason #3 for 2013 two spots behind preseason #1 Ohio State! Should make for a hell of a CCG!

I definitely like the way you think :D

I chose Iowa because I think that with our stupidly soft schedule we end tied with either Michigan or Nebraska for 2nd place in the division after Michigan State manages to lose to all three of us. So 2 teams ahead of us in our division plus 1 team in the other division - counting on our division to knock off Wisconsin - which leaves us at 4th in the Big 10. That is a jump of 4 spots which is more than any other team is realistically capable of other than Illinois and Purdue. Either of them could conceivably also jump 4 spots in the Big 10 rankings depending on how bad Penn State actually is and if either is able to pull off a few upsets.

I'm just wondering where Iowa is going to get their offense. They lose McNutt and Coker, then half the rest of their RBs are either injured, suspended or have left the team. Vandenberg can't throw and catch the ball, and it's not like their defense was that sharp - they were barely in the top half of the four major defensive categories last year, and unless I'm mistaken they're not projected to make a significant jump this year, right?

That schedule may be absurdly easy, but they have some pretty bare shelves in Iowa City.

I'm just wondering where Iowa is going to get their offense. They lose McNutt and Coker, then half the rest of their RBs are either injured, suspended or have left the team. Vandenberg can't throw and catch the ball, and it's not like their defense was that sharp - they were barely in the top half of the four major defensive categories last year, and unless I'm mistaken they're not projected to make a significant jump this year, right?

That schedule may be absurdly easy, but they have some pretty bare shelves in Iowa City.

Crazy easy schedule...it does a lot for teams.