ESPNU is not impressed

So, I made a point to catch the ESPNU Big 10 preview. They spent very little time on the Huskers. After giving considerable time to Penn State (all the changes), Ohio State (Urban), Michigan (Denard), Wisky (2 time Big 10 champs, another transfer QB), and Michigan State (made their defense sound like it is best thing since sliced bread), they gave virtually no time to Nebraska. Basically said it was our second year in the Big 10 after coming in last year as a potential favorite. Mentioned we have a tough schedule and the analyst who was asked if we will do better this year than last said that we would not and we would not get 5 conference wins this year. Sheesh...I know there is that ESPN conspiracy theory and all ( :espnsucks: ) but they just sort of made us an afterthought with Minny and Iowa. I expected them to give us some more time and more of a here is how Nebraska can do well vs. here is how they will struggle. Instead under 30 seconds for our segment?

They talked up Monte Ball and Denard Robinson and the MSU defense. Also mentioned RB Bell at MSU as the next best back in the conference. Gave only a mention of Burkhead near the end.

I found it interesting that they picked the Big 10 as the unanimous second toughest conference behind the SEC.

Anyway, maybe it is a good thing that the national media is not expecting squat out of this year's team and just let the team do what it can. These other teams have huge expecations from the media...Robinson and Michigan, Ball and Wisky, and Urban at OSU (they think that team will win 10 games). Our highest expectations are from the fans which is only because we care so much. Maybe not having the national media attention will make us that much more hungry...I sure hope so!

They focused plenty on us before the season last year...that didn't work out so well. I love the position we are in right now, love it. Plus, these guys have been burned several years now by talking about how Nebraska is back, etc...Ide like to see us win a big game first, then, they can start talking about us again.

They aren't in the wrong IMO. We have earned nothing. On paper, we're worse than last year in many ways. :dunno

ESPN will be ESPN. It's on us... I wouldn't want it any other way.

Care to elaborate? I dont see it.

If you want look at it subjectively...

We lose our key player in the secondary, we lose our key player at linebacker, we lose our key player on the defensive front. Losing key guys in every layer of a defense that was less than stellar last year. It's essentially the same offense as last year... a sputtering one.

Okay, scrap "many ways" and replace it with "a few ways." :dunno

Personally, i've built on plenty of positives from fall camp and the offseason. But we shouldnt expect anybody to be giving us a red carpet entrance to the BIG championship at this point after what we showed last year.

I think you mean objectively, not subjectively, yes?

These are all good points, however, we do return almost every important skill position player from last year and we're bringing quite a bit of experience on the offensive line. We should be a lot better offensively sans Barney Cotton ruining everything.

Didn't see a link to the vid. So here: LINK

They mention Burkhead for about two seconds at the end. But yeah, not much love for NU from the espn. How do I feel about that? It's like stopping at a traffic light next to a short bus--and nobody on the short bus waves to me. meh.

• Fire 1

Hmm, ESPN is obviously doing something right. If they talk us up big, people wear the sh#t eating grin and watch to listen to the praise. If they ignore or trash us, people wear the angry frown and still watch so they can either hope to hear something about us, or hear what they don't like and then come to a forum to complain!

ESPN wins either way, every time. All day.

I watched the same show last night and they picked us to finish 5th in the big 10 behind wisky, michigan, mich st, ohio st. I wish there was a show at the end of each season that went back and played these predictions and comments and to see how close they are to being right. Instead they just spit garbage out of their mouth and its considered gospel. No accountability at the end of the season just their opinions at the start of the season!

i thought the point of this convo., at least when i ripped espn, was how lazy they are. have we inspired a lot of confidence? no. do i ask myself a lot of questions as a framing device? yes. is it annoying? probably.

the point is, it is a preview show. do your work and give each team their due. this is why espn is going to be stuck in the rear view mirror as channels like the btn, mlb, nba, and nfl become more prevalent and accessible.

i thought the point of this convo., at least when i ripped espn, was how lazy they are. have we inspired a lot of confidence? no. do i ask myself a lot of questions as a framing device? yes. is it annoying? probably.

the point is, it is a preview show. do your work and give each team their due. this is why espn is going to be stuck in the rear view mirror as channels like the btn, mlb, nba, and nfl become more prevalent and accessible.

Totally agree ! (see my post # 29 earlier today).

They ARE lazy.

ESPN couldnt be further from "stuck in the rearview mirror".... Other networks are doing good work, but ESPN dominates still....

ESPN couldnt be further from "stuck in the rearview mirror".... Other networks are doing good work, but ESPN dominates still....

i agree, but i could see them slide into obsolescence with all this new competition. that is my hope at least, or i would be happy if they evolved (to how they used to be, when they were actually sports journalists, and not just 'the view' for men).

UM, while I hate the fact that they didn't talk about us much, to say they are going to be stuck in the rear view mirror is a little ridiculous.

UM, while I hate the fact that they didn't talk about us much, to say they are going to be stuck in the rear view mirror is a little ridiculous.

my response:

i agree, but i could see them slide into obsolescence with all this new competition. that is my hope at least, or i would be happy if they evolved (to how they used to be, when they were actually sports journalists, and not just 'the view' for men).

The detailed, more specific coverage of networks like BTN is very appealing (especially as a Husker fan), but I think we would all have a very different outlook of ESPN if they were covering us like they do USC, or Bama.... Does part of the responsibility fall on Bo's shoulders? I saw on ESPN today they had an All-Access practice at Ohio St. I think it would be neat for Bo to allow Espn in to do something like that at NU.