Bo Pelini Press conf.

Bo stated that he doesn't care for the new "helmet rule." Stated that he understands the safety factor, but it's common sense. It can effect a team if a key player goes out for a play.

Common sense is that it really is a safety factor. Have you guys get it fitted properly and fasten both straps every play, and you shouldn't have guys losing helmets and having to sit out. Somebody is going to have serious damage someday after their helmet comes off, and most of the time it can be avoided.

One of the other issues with Martinez' mechanics we heard about was his drop back. Tim Beck said even little things like stepping with the wrong foot after taking the snap can have a negative effect on what Martinez sees and how the play develops.

His throwing motion sucks, and I doubt that it will change that much. The important things are his drop back, feet, and shoulders. Those can be corrected. If you start messing with the exact way his arm moves when he throws the ball, you're asking for a world of problems.

When was the last time someone had serious injury after his helmet came off?

Exactly. Besides it's not like having a player leave the game is going to prevent them getting hurt on the previous play when their helmet came off. Can't wait until some players are trying to pop each others' helmets off in a pile.

When was the last time someone had serious injury after his helmet came off?

I don't know of any, but does it take any kind of imagination to see that it can easily happen? And we're seeing a lot of long term brain damage injuries, do we know that any of these haven't been helped along by blows to an unprotected head?

Oh..I can believe it could happen. However, it doesn't.

There was a study a few years ago that stated that football concussions would be reduced if they would actually play without helmets. This is because with the helmet, the player has a false sense of security. He believes he can hit anything or anyone with his head and he is protected. That isn't the case.

Let me throw this scenario out there. Let's say there are two minutes left on the clock against Michigan and Taylor is gaining momentum. He is the QB and in command of his offense. What prevents a MI player from purposely trying to cause his helmet to come off so he has to sit out a play and disrupt his momentum?

My point is, I don't believe I have ever seen a play where a helmet came off that it really was that player's fault unless he didn't have both snaps snapped on his chin strap. It happens by mistake and to my knowledge, there hasn't been any players injured while this happens.

So, why possibly change the outcome of a game over something that may be out of the player's control?