SEC ref rant

Caven

The first instance of refs protecting a top 10 SEC team only took until the very first game of the season. Not sure if Vandy could have pulled it out but it would have been nice to see them have the chance rather than just ignore the blatant pass interference so that South Carolina could be guaranteed the win.

Of course if Vandy hadn't given USC the 10-14 point swing in the first quarter with the interception inside the 5 that USC immediately scored a TD on then the end wouldn't have mattered. At least Minny is holding on so far.

Let's not play things up any larger than they are.

Was there pass interference on that play? Yes. Was it called? No. Did that prevent Vandy from winning? Not at all, Vandy did.

This is college football, it's a game not a science. Nothing about it is perfect. Carolina's had plenty of poor calls happen to them, these things happen. Vandy had a whole 57 minutes preceding that call to win the game, they failed. USC wasn't being "protected", SEC refs don't protect top 10 teams. I remember going to the first game tOBC lost to the Commodores back in 2007. USC was sixth in the country. We didn't get a single call protecting us in that game, Vandy got plenty. sh#t happens. Winners win, losers whine.

I admit it sucks to see that happen because in some ways it diminishes the victory. That being said the blown call didn't decide the game...the players did.

Further evidence SEC refs go out of their way to help USC...

If there was a case to be made for ref assistance/detriment, it would be towards the top teams, not towards specific schools. That being the case, your video would be more evidence in support of that, as the refs would be protecting their top dog LSU Tigers coming off a national championship.

This is one of those deals where the true believers (those that believe SEC refs make calls to protect highly ranked teams) will find evidence anywhere. Like I said, USC was ranked sixth in the nation in 2007 and the referees 'let' Vandy beat us.

They 'let' 2007 LSU go to overtime...twice and lose in those overtime games...twice. In 2008 they 'let' a top ranked UF lose to Ole Miss and then later 'let' that same UF team knock off a top ranked Bama team.

Come on, drop the conspiracy bull sh#t. It was a blown call, nothing more. This happens everywhere.

I think the specific conspiracy theory is that Vandy gets shafted by the refs on the close calls more than any other SEC team. I don't watch the conference enough to have an opinion.

However I have quite a sample of Big# games viewed. Guess what's going to happen when you are playing the on of the Big 2 in a game with major conference title or bowl implications.

The call that upset me more than the no-call on the pass interference was the "targeting a defenseless player" call that was made on Vandy's DB and helped SC score on that drive. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. It's not like he launched himself into the receiver, he just landed a solid, awesome hit on the guy. If that call is going to be made, they had just as well get rid of the helmets and pads and strap flags on these guys because that is freakin' ridiculous.... End rant.

Further evidence SEC refs go out of their way to help USC...

Wasn't that the same umpire last night? And I believe he threw a pretty good block on your linebacker or whoever that was, and it allowed Rodgers to rip off a pretty good scramble.

There's no cover up here it was just a blown call. On the replay it's easy to see but in real time it's probably a tough call to see on the run, things happen. Like Bucky said Vandy had their chances and I'm a firm believer that no one play, call or single players costs a team a game. But the no call certainly had an impact on the final outcome because of where the ball would have been placed and the amount of time left.

The call that upset me more than the no-call on the pass interference was the "targeting a defenseless player" call that was made on Vandy's DB and helped SC score on that drive. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. It's not like he launched himself into the receiver, he just landed a solid, awesome hit on the guy. If that call is going to be made, they had just as well get rid of the helmets and pads and strap flags on these guys because that is freakin' ridiculous.... End rant.

I didn't watch much of the game last night but I did see this play. I would have to agree that it was a terrible call. If they are going to make that call in college football this year, it is going to be a bad thing. I agree that he didn't launch himself at the receiver, he was simply trying to make a tackle.

I didn't watch much of the game last night but I did see this play. I would have to agree that it was a terrible call. If they are going to make that call in college football this year, it is going to be a bad thing. I agree that he didn't launch himself at the receiver, he was simply trying to make a tackle.

That call really bugged me, because he made contact shoulder to shoulder first and he didn't just launch himself at the guys head. The announcers agreed it was the right call but later on there was a hit on a Vandy guy that looked exactly the same with no call and the announcers thought it was fine. It just highlights the biggest flaw with these fouls, human judgement, and the fact that if there is any doubt the rule states to call the foul.

Was there pass interference on that play? Yes. Was it called? No. Did that prevent Vandy from winning? Not at all, Vandy did.

Actually it played a big role of Vandy losing. If that penalty had been called like it should have, Vandy would've got the ball on the 50 yd line I think with 1:47 left in the 4th and Vandy had 3 timeouts left. Plenty of time with great field position to move the ball and possible tie the game up or win by 3.

Sure its easy to say that Vandy had all game to pull away but that no call pass interference came at the most crucial part of the game to actually decide the outcome of the game. How the back judge didn't throw the flag when he was eyeing that play the whole time is mind boggling.

Not only did Vandy have a couple shots to put the game away or to put points on the board, South Carolina had numerous opportunities to do the exact same thing so it goes both ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGMMtlOmRD8&feature=player_embedded

If you think that Vandy would've managed to put that game away even if they were given that call then you're a guy who hasn't watched enough Vandy "football." Franklin won't be able to change the fact that Vandy will always be Vandy. They should stick to baseball and book learnin.