Helmet rule and the no huddle offense

dustinl15

So I got thinking about the new helmet rule and was wondering how this might impact a no huddle or hurry up offense. If you have a defense that is tired from not being able to sub do you think we will see players intentionally knock off their own helmet? Once a helmet comes off the clock stops and the player has to sit out a play. This would give the defense a chance to bring in a new player and possibly sub out other players.

I know this rule is meant to protect the players but it seems to me that it could be taken advantage of in a way that might negatively impact the game.

So I got thinking about the new helmet rule and was wondering how this might impact a no huddle or hurry up offense. If you have a defense that is tired from not being able to sub do you think we will see players intentionally knock off their own helmet? Once a helmet comes off the clock stops and the player has to sit out a play. This would give the defense a chance to bring in a new player and possibly sub out other players.

I know this rule is meant to protect the players but it seems to me that it could be taken advantage of in a way that might negatively impact the game.

I'd hope that players wouldn't want to intentionally take themselves out of games. Seems as if it would be pretty obvious if they were doing it on purpose too.

I'd hope that players wouldn't want to intentionally take themselves out of games. Seems as if it would be pretty obvious if they were doing it on purpose too.

It's not that players would want to intentionally take themselves out of games...there are times when situational substitutions happen. If a guy is supposed to come out anyway...that guy could "accidentally" lose his helmet. Then the guy who was supposed to sub in, could come in for the guy who is forced to leave the field.

It usually is pretty obvious and has happened? Did you miss the whole Oregon vs. Cal controversy? Anyway, I think theyd have to be pretty good at masking their intent, because if you purposely take your own helmet off while on the field its a personal foul.

I think they should add in to the rule that you have to have your helmet strapped up, but mostly i don't see how this rule even really protects anyone, the helmet came off anyway, sitting out a play doesn't make it not happen?

This happened a few times last night during the Michigan State-Boise State game and it seemed to happen to the defensive players more than the offensive players. Let me tell you-those players were NOT happy to leave the game and the coaches weren't happy either. A substitute player has to run in and take over. For that game it was usually the starting 'star' that got taken out. It left the defense at a disadvantage as the offense would immediately line up for the play while the defense struggled to get all of their players into position. Another stupid rule. The only way the player can stay in the game is if a player from the other team knocks his helmet off. Well, how are they going to be able to tell who knocked the helmet off in the melee of a huge tackle?? 'Stoopid' rule!!

simple, charge the offending team a time out. I bet they will make sure those helmets stay on then.

true, but then you get into the whole argument of whether or not his helmet came off because it was not properly fastened OR if someone attempted to remove his head (I know they have instituted numerous rules to try to eliminate that, but it still happens in the trenches).

Here's a pretty basic question. The purpose behind the rule is to protect players from injury. I don't ever recall anyone getting injured for not having their helmet on. Do you?

Regardless maybe they should change the rule to the following if they really want safety....

1) If a player who has the ball loses his helmet. The play is immediately blown dead and the ball marked at the spot. Player may continue to participate in the next play. (See no 4)

2) If a player who does not have the ball loses his helmet. The player cannot participate any further in the play and the opposing team cannot engage him. A flag may be thrown if these conditions are violated. A 5 yd penalty will be marched off for a delay of game, play is dead, and the player(s) must sit out the play. (see No 4)

3) All players must have ALL their straps attached before play is to proceed. If they do not they are sent to the sideline for equipment fix.

4) When players lose their helmets, their will be booth review to see if there are hands to the face or facemasks. Or any illegal contact to the head. Or if the player didn't have his straps attached.

5) No plays can be signaled into the game once the teams are at the line of scrimmage.

Sorry, just thought I'd slip that one in like good ol' congress does with their bills.

Anyway this seems like a fair concept that punishes the offender and not by circumstance

• Fire 2

Here's a pretty basic question. The purpose behind the rule is to protect players from injury. I don't ever recall anyone getting injured for not having their helmet on. Do you?

Regardless maybe they should change the rule to the following if they really want safety....

1) If a player who has the ball loses his helmet. The play is immediately blown dead and the ball marked at the spot. Player may continue to participate in the next play. (See no 4)

2) If a player who does not have the ball loses his helmet. The player cannot participate any further in the play and the opposing team cannot engage him. A flag may be thrown if these conditions are violated. A 5 yd penalty will be marched off for a delay of game and the player(s) must sit out the play. (see No 4)

3) All players must have ALL their straps attached before play is to proceed. If they do not they are sent to the sideline for equipment fix.

4) When players lose their helmets, their will be booth review to see if there are hands to the face or facemasks.

5) No plays can be signaled into the game once the teams are at the line of scrimmage.

Sorry, just thought I'd slip that one in like good ol' congress does with their bills.

Anyway this seems like a fair concept that punishes the offender and not by circumstance

+1