What did we learn?

I think we need a new weight training program for our D-Line. They are all always 3 steps behind where they need to be, and lack the tenacity and athleticism that made this team great but a few years ago. A small part of me is thinking that Moss, Curry, Valentine etc, are all pushing for playing time because we haven't put on those 35 pounds of training wheel fat, but I hope it's just because they are that good.

Today I think we also learned that Anthony Alford was a big loss when we missed on him. Watching him cut through our defense stung a little bit extra knowing that we went down to the wire for that kid. He's an athletic freak.

We also confirmed that yes, Imani Cross is one scary individual that's not afraid to bump helmets. When this offense finds it's pace, and we are flinging 4 running backs, that would all be starters at 75% of D1 schools, we will be a very hard offense to stop.

Miss you Huskerboard, sorry I've been lurking in the shadows for a while. Also, on a nerdy side note... the tunnel walk was super boring. Same ol' history lesson as always... sigh. Hopefully I will convince them in a few years to do an actual video shoot with the players. Perhaps some compelling script writing? How many times do we have to see "Frazier, 5 National Championships, 300 million consecutive sellouts, etc.."

I think we need a new weight training program for our D-Line. They are all always 3 steps behind where they need to be, and lack the tenacity and athleticism that made this team great but a few years ago. A small part of me is thinking that Moss, Curry, Valentine etc, are all pushing for playing time because we haven't put on those 35 pounds of training wheel fat, but I hope it's just because they are that good.

Today I think we also learned that Anthony Alford was a big loss when we missed on him. Watching him cut through our defense stung a little bit extra knowing that we went down to the wire for that kid. He's an athletic freak.

We also confirmed that yes, Imani Cross is one scary individual that's not afraid to bump helmets. When this offense finds it's pace, and we are flinging 4 running backs, that would all be starters at 75% of D1 schools, we will be a very hard offense to stop.

Miss you Huskerboard, sorry I've been lurking in the shadows for a while. Also, on a nerdy side note... the tunnel walk was super boring. Same ol' history lesson as always... sigh. Hopefully I will convince them in a few years to do an actual video shoot with the players. Perhaps some compelling script writing? How many times do we have to see "Frazier, 5 National Championships, 300 million consecutive sellouts, etc.."

we've missed you epocson, always enjoy your takes and posts. the tunnel walk is important, you did good work. hope to see you around here more, and even more with the husker production team.

i keep wanting to say that we are over-reacting in our celebration of the new t-mart because i do not think so. miss. expected him to be able to pass so well and our wide outs were wide open. however, and i am re-watching the game, he is such a better passer. it will be interesting to see him against stiffer 'd'.

Offense looked pretty good. Big improvement on taking care of the ball, not putting it on the ground and turning it over. Also, penalties were kept at a minimum. That needs to continue and will play a huge role in the long run. Justin Jackson had a really great game. Saw him absolutely level a guy once. We need aggressive play from the O line.

Defense was very lack luster. Third down conversions by the opponent was not acceptable. Defense needs to be disciplined to take care of their gaps. Also, we over ran a lot of pursuit and had bad tackling angles, did not wrap up. No pressure on the QB, not good. Pass defense was not particularly good. There were a couple of times where the opponent simply dropped the ball because we did not cover well.

Mauer either had a really lucky year last year or a really bad start this year. Kickers have the same problem as golfers. It is a head game. Missing a kick has the same result as missing putts, it gets into your head and you keep on missing.

The young guns showed up fairly well.

Martinez seems to have a better grasp of what to look for in the passing game. However, we need to get him into the running game to keep the opposing defenses off guard.

For what it is worth, the cheerleaders looked a little better this year. Liked the tribute the band did at half time for one of their members who apparently passed away this year. A life lost too young by any measure.

What I did learn is , T M mechanics have greatly improved. Still gos off track at times. Our receivers can catch with the best of them. The offensive line seems be more comfortable in their assignments { no false starts} marked improvement. We have a good set of r/b's. We don't have a back up q/b yet. Our defense needs some more tackling practice. So Miss was a better team than many thought. Their defense is quicker than UCLA's, but nowhere as big up front.

The offense may have to carry the load for a few games, till the D gets it together. Kind of like the D has had to do for them, in the last couple of season's. Used to be like that once every few season's with T O's teams, on one side of the ball or the other. So now I am really ready for the trip out to next weeks game, will be fun to see how the grand kids take it all in.

GBR!!!

It's sort of funny. Gerry DiNardo (sp?) basically said everything that was going to happen on Saturday. The offense was going to carry the team. The defense would be better but they would also get better as the season went along.

Look, I don't know what people expect of the defense at this point, but considering that you're playing a team with actual, by-God-it's-for-real talent, but you have NO FILM to study, there's room for slack. Our D-line is not going to be confused with Alabama's this season. That's just the fact of the matter. That doesn't mean our defense can't be serviceable, somewhere in the top 20. When you play a team you can't prepare for, you're bound to look a little unprepared.

But let's consider: Out of the 20 points scored, 13 of them were from Southern Miss's offense. 260 yards. Not great. Not terrible, especially when your team is racking in six hundred and change. It's really not that terrible. Not for a first game. Not against a team that had eight months to prepare for you. Not against a team putting three quarterbacks with three skill sets on the field.

UCLA is probably going to be a similar game. We should steamroll them, too, but I expect the defense to give up a couple touchdowns. That's not really a cause for alarm. Not yet. Talk to me when we're giving up 30 points against teams we have stacks of film on. At that point I'll be as worried as anyone.

• Fire 3