What did we learn?

Well, I got what I wanted to see in this game and that was that Bo did actually play many of the new guys. Yeah, he didn't sub. T-Mart until the mid 4th quarter but I think Taylor was having a ball! (Literally and figuratively!) I mean I'm sure it was so much fun for him to throw the ball and have it go right where he wanted it to go! Well done sir!

Our special teams need to step it up. I felt really sorry for Brett Mahr tonight. He's usually spot on but he was just having an off game. Considering how incredible he's played since Henry left, I say we give him a break. He did make all of the PA kicks. He'll be back.

Our offense was really decent tonight! Taylor was lights out but our O-Line was giving him amazing protection! However, I would've liked to have seen us run the ball when we were so close to the goal line instead of depending on the pass. Have the 0-line open a hole for Taylor.

I think we got ripped off by the refs on a couple of plays. SoMiss was holding-a lot and they never called it.

Our defense was like molasses! Blah! But they will get better. I think they did better job of reading the plays that SoMiss were making in the 2nd half.

I detested the commentators. You would've thought we were playing in SoMiss! The worst was when they went on this senseless tangent about how NU has the roller skating collectio or something like that when Taylor is making this incredible throw! Next time, I'll turn them off and turn on KFAB. What bafoons!

Bo kept his composure even with the press. Our boys didn't have but a couple of penalties and we won big! It was fun to see that big old score!

True confessions: I loved it that Ohio State had a BAD first quarter, that Wisky barely made it out of their game alive, that Frankie steamrolled PSU, that Iowa only won by the skin of their teeth and that Michigan State doesn't look that great (although their defense is tough)

So, we quietly won this first game. It can be neatly tucked away in the 'win' box. Now we need to start preparing for UCLA. GREAT GAME BOYS!

Speaking of Maher... during a tv time out in the 3rd quarter they showed a video interview of him on the screens about being good at kicking and it was really awkward to hear after what a bad day he was having. I'm guessing it was even worse for him. I think they should have rescheduled it for the next home game :P

Offense played very well today against an above average opponent. That being said, when was the last time that both the offense and defense really excelled in the same game? Hopefully the D will improve significantly by next week.

Watching Bama and Michigan.....the Crimson tide's D-line is really good. Makes me envious.

I think we have a good shot at winning the Legends division. Way too early, but T Mart and the rest of the offense looked good for all 4 quarters! Defense might end up being a liitle better than last year based on first game.

I was watching the game and I'm still happy about our win, but I found myself saying, there's no way we could beat Bama................that team is ridiculous! Their defense is ridiculous and nevermind their running backs.

My jaw dropped when I looked at the box score and saw Southern Miss only ended up with 260 yards. The only thing I can think of is that while they had lots and lots and lots and lots AND LOTS of those really annoying 7-10 yard runs, they never really had any big plays. Hopefully the defense can become a little less bend but don't break and a little more breaking the other team's offense. Overall solid opening effort, this was a very good team last year that we beat, and I'm sure they'll be near the top of CUSA again this year.

UCLA on the road will be a much tougher opponent. They have a good RB and athletes everywhere. QB Hundley is dual threat that I fear we will make him look like a highlight reel of good plays. I have this game as 50/50 right now...either team could easily win...will be interesting to see the line.

I'm not worried. It'll be a good challenge for our team but ultimately I think it will very much resemble what happened in Lincoln today. Rice dinged their defense badly.

Atbone: People are referring to how many points our defense gave up. Our inept kick coverage gave up the other 7.

Taylor answered the questions.

The defense did not.

Alonzo Whaley is terrible.

Whaley had a pretty bad game I agree. Every player on defense missed tackles on at least half the snaps and there was at least one play where Whaley was absolutely torched in pass coverage. Lucky for us the pass was if I recall underthrown otherwise that So Miss receiver waltzes into the end zone and I think would have made the score 21-21 at that point. Not sure though. I'd have to go back and see that particular segment of the game again to get the exact specifics right.

That according to a lot of people on this board, I'm seeing we only allowed 13 pts...

Did I miss something?

And the Eagles had a whopping 260 total yards. Now it is slightly concerning that we gave up 185 yards on the ground. However, that yardage came on 47 attempts for a 3.9 yard per carry average. And the missed tackles. Our defense makes the tackle consistently and they probably wouldn't have even had 100 yards rushing. UCLA will be a very good test.