Abdullah, Cross, Heard

The Dude

I really, really liked what I saw from these guys. Especially Abdullah. He's going to be legit. My heart skipped a beat when I realized Rex was out of the game, but now it seems like not all is lost if he's not always available.

Cross looked pretty slow, but man he's a load to bring down. Loved how they used him to close out the game. I hope we get to see him in this role even if Rex is healthy.

Thought Heard was supposed to be injured, hmmmm. He looked good. We've got some good backs.

Your thoughts on these guys?

Cross won't be a speedster, but he will get quicker. He was a true freshman playing in his first college game just trying to get his feet wet. He will get better and quicker...and god help any defense (especially a tired defense in the second half of games) who has to try to stop him. Can't wait to watch more of him this season.

Heard for me was the bigger surprise. He showed a huge burst of speed when he saw the hole and hit it. We saw glimpses of that last year at times, but he exploded to the second level.

Cross once he gets used to the speed of the game through reps will be a good one. This year early on, he just needs to remember he is a beast and get heading North and south when he gets the ball and not try so much east west running.

Was it me or did burkhead get caught on that touchdown? What is his 40 time? 4.7

I wouldn't underestimate the guy that caught him, USM has speed. Rex definitely runs faster than a 4.7. That said, no Rex isn't a speedster. The guy is a worker and a warrior with about every skill/instinct a rb can have but he isn't going to explode past/outrun athletic db's. Would be nice to get him back soon but wouldn't surprise me if he's gone til the conference opener.

Really psyched about what we saw from AA. The offseason work really showed, kid was a different back. Think he'll be a leader like Rex has been.

Would like to see a little more Heard next game.

Like Cross as a later game back. Tire them out with the high tempo then pound them with Cross.

I loved how these guys played too but question: Here we have this beast in Cross yet we pass when we're in the red zone and when there are only a few yards until we make the final first down and/or take it in for the score? I don't get that! Good grief! Use the guy to muscle the ball into the end zone. I'm loving it that Taylor is now accurate with his passing but mix it up a little!

I loved how these guys played too but question: Here we have this beast in Cross yet we pass when we're in the red zone and when there are only a few yards until we make the final first down and/or take it in for the score? I don't get that! Good grief! Use the guy to muscle the ball into the end zone. I'm loving it that Taylor is now accurate with his passing but mix it up a little!

Beck has always said its about taking what the defense gives you basically. They make quick at the line adjustments both from the booth and from Taylor based on what the defense shows them.