4.5 point favorites over UCLA

Not surprising. Reading around on national reaction from our win, and there really isn't any. UCLA has gotten just about as much press beating Rice.

Neither team should be getting any national press. UCLA hasn't won a conference championship since 1998 and Nebraska hasn't won a conference championship since 1999. I don't think the national press will be covering two teams that haven't won a conference title this century.

Not surprising. Reading around on national reaction from our win, and there really isn't any. UCLA has gotten just about as much press beating Rice.

Neither team should be getting any national press. UCLA hasn't won a conference championship since 1998 and Nebraska hasn't won a conference championship since 1999. I don't think the national press will be covering two teams that haven't won a conference title this century.

You took some abuse for this post...

Yet.... were you to ask fans across the United States --- fans who have no alliance with either UCLA or Nebraska --- if you were to ask them if your statement is correct and reflects reality... I'd guess 85-90% would say you were spot on. UCLA and NU are not any longer national-level programs of interest --- just historic programs that have not been relevant on the national scene for a decade (or, in the case of UCLA, much longer than that). But for NU fans and UCLA fans it is a good and interesting game... even if nationally it is but a meaningless game.

So... I think anyway --- for what it is worth --- that your post was perfectly fine and reflective of reality.

Still... we care. GBR.

I may be wrong, and too much of a cheerleader but:

I think the nation would be very surprised if UCLA rose up and went undefeated. It would be quite a shock, and people would say, "Wow, where the heck did UCLA come from."

In Nebraska's case, an undefeated season would be greeted with, "The Huskers are back. About time." It wouldn't be a surprise, more like the end of a long-expected prophecy being fulfilled.

Yes, both teams are historic and have plenty of things to hang a hat on. But NU's resurgence would be perceived very differently than UCLA's.

That may be why some take umbrage at the comparisons. Right or wrong, that's how I feel anyway.

I think the nation would be very surprised if UCLA rose up and went undefeated. It would be quite a shock, and people would say, "Wow, where the heck did UCLA come from."

In Nebraska's case, an undefeated season would be greeted with, "The Huskers are back. About time." It wouldn't be a surprise, more like the end of a long-expected prophecy being fulfilled.

Yes, both teams are historic and have plenty of things to hang a hat on. But NU's resurgence would be perceived very differently than UCLA's.

That may be why some take umbrage at the comparisons. Right or wrong, that's how I feel anyway.

Point well taken in that UCLA is farther... much farther off the radar than NU.

An undefeated NU, however, would be an unmitigated shock to everyone nationally when this team has Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State on its schedule. We have a brutal schedule. Winning out would simply stun the world. I'd think that winning 3 of those four would shock most people. Splitting those games would surprise most people (but not shock). losing all four would shock, essentially, no one --- except some posters here!

I am staying at Motel 6 at 225 Colorado place, in Arcadia ca.

How close is that to the stadium, and is it an easy drive to the game or should I allow some extra time for traffic. Would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks. and I hope for a good game, with us winning of course. :D

GBR!!!

Anybody need info on Pasadena,post it up...I've lived here for 5 decades.

Well, you're staying about 5 minutes from my house. Best thing to do is stay off the freeway. You want to go north to Foothill, west on Foothill (left), right on Sierra Madre Villa, than left on Orange Grove. Takes you to Rosemont, where you'll turn left. 25 minutes, tops.

Well...the game is considered a top game of the week to watch....so....yeah.....

UCLA hasn't been relavent on the national scene since Cade McNown was there. Nebraska has been ranked in the top ten the last two seasons and was all the way to #4 in 2010. Nebraska has played in 2 confrence championships games in the last 3 years. While you have played in one, but that was because USC could not play.

I found some over/under lines. They range from 56 1/2 to 61 and the spread is still 4 1/2 to 5 1/2. The site I looked at listed "Rex Burkhead Out". That may have a little to do with the line not being at least a few points higher if some people nationally don't know what we have for RB's behind him. I still think the lock of the day is the overs with the #2 bet being giving the 5ish pts. I would expect some significant money will begin moving the line on this game as the week wears on.

Is the 14th ranked team in the country considered irrelevant? It is not where Nebraska fans want our team to be, but I believe that Nebraska still moves the needle (without question, more then UCLA).

Under Bo Pelini, Nebraska has played 19 true road games. We've won 12 and lost 7. (68% win percentage)

Here are the 7 we lost:

2008 At Texas Tech (they finished 11-2)

2008 At Oklahoma (they finished 12-2)

2009 At Virginia Tech (they finished 10-3)

2010 At Texas A&M (they finished 9-4) this one was a robbery.

2010 At Oklahoma (they finished 12-2)

2011 At Wisconsin (they finished 11-3)

2011 At Michigan (they finished 11-2)

Other than the A&M game which was a screwjob by a corrupt conference, every team Nebraska has lost to on the road under Pelini won at least 10 games and 4 of the 6 played in a BCS bowl game. (and both Texas Tech and Virgina Tech easily could have).

We struggle at times against overmatched teams at home but we don't lose to any team that isn't a 10 win BCS Bowl level team on the road. UCLA isn't anywhere close to a 10 win BCS Bowl quality team.

This is a good bit of research. Thanks! I gave you a +1 for your work.

To those asking about Rice the past few years, they've had David Bailiff at Head Coach the past five years. He's gone 22-38 there, against these SOS's:

Year - W-L (SOS)

2007 - 3-9 (108)

2008 - 10-3 (88)

2009 - 2-10 (76)

2010 - 4-8 (90)

2011 - 4-8 (37)

In addition, Rice's Total Defense (yards allowed) over that span:

2007 - 118th

2008 - 111th

2009 - 117th

2010 - 107th

2011 - 111th

Finally, Rice's Scoring Defense (points allowed) under Bailiff:

2007 - 118th

2008 - 103rd

2009 - 120th

2010 - 114th

2011 - 99th

So Rice may not be the best bellwether for how good UCLA is, especially UCLA's offense. They're bad, and they've been consistently bad on defense for five years.

I am staying at Motel 6 at 225 Colorado place, in Arcadia ca.

How close is that to the stadium, and is it an easy drive to the game or should I allow some extra time for traffic. Would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks. and I hope for a good game, with us winning of course. :D

GBR!!!

Anybody need info on Pasadena,post it up...I've lived here for 5 decades.

Well, you're staying about 5 minutes from my house. Best thing to do is stay off the freeway. You want to go north to Foothill, west on Foothill (left), right on Sierra Madre Villa, than left on Orange Grove. Takes you to Rosemont, where you'll turn left. 25 minutes, tops.

Thanks.

GBR!!!

Under Bo Pelini, Nebraska has played 19 true road games. We've won 12 and lost 7. (68% win percentage)

Here are the 7 we lost:

2008 At Texas Tech (they finished 11-2)

2008 At Oklahoma (they finished 12-2)

2009 At Virginia Tech (they finished 10-3)

2010 At Texas A&M (they finished 9-4) this one was a robbery.

2010 At Oklahoma (they finished 12-2)

2011 At Wisconsin (they finished 11-3)

2011 At Michigan (they finished 11-2)

Other than the A&M game which was a screwjob by a corrupt conference, every team Nebraska has lost to on the road under Pelini won at least 10 games and 4 of the 6 played in a BCS bowl game. (and both Texas Tech and Virgina Tech easily could have).

We struggle at times against overmatched teams at home but we don't lose to any team that isn't a 10 win BCS Bowl level team on the road. UCLA isn't anywhere close to a 10 win BCS Bowl quality team.

Wow, good stuff.

Remember a couple years ago when they took the players on a bus ride to nowhere before a home game to simulate it being a road game? We played so well on the road and so crappy at home that the coaches apparently thought that would help

So Rice may not be the best bellwether for how good UCLA is, especially UCLA's offense. They're bad, and they've been consistently bad on defense for five years.

True. But don't forget about the UCLA defense, who was able to shut Rice down. As inept as Rice may be, shutting an opponent out and holding them to 70 yards in a half is pretty decent.

And how much was UCLA holding back? We have jack for film on this group--while it was a factor for a half against Southern Miss, UCLA does have better athletes than Southern Miss. That athletic prowess could overcome any inexperience and make this game more interesting than we'd care for, and certainly closer than the blowout predictions that seem to be all over the board as of late.