Justin Jackson

I have been a longtime follower of this board, but decided to start posting. I am a former offensive lineman that played football for 14 years, culminating with a career at a division II school. After years of looking up to players like Rimington, Aaron Graham, and Dominic Raiola, I was extremely impressed with Justin Jackson in his first start on Saturday. They used him out in space often and he was quick, physical, and always finishes plays in a dominant position. I noticed him early, and couldn't stop watching his great effort and intensity throughout the game. I know center was a concern coming into the year, but i thought Jackson played great as well as the rest of the group up front.

I apologize for the long post, just wanted to put in my 2 cents and give some love for the big guys up front.

Thanks for listening.

I totally agree. I thought the whole line looked pretty good.

And that post length is fine! You should see some of the novels that get written on here (not that I'm guiltless in that...).

Good info in here.

After reading this I went back and watched some of the offensive plays from Saturday to see what you were talking about.

I noticed something interesting. I didn't realize how many of our passing plays were play action with linemen pulling to one side or the other in pass pro. I think it was a play like that where Martinez got sacked because Long didn't get pulled in time to get the DE coming off end. Almost all other plays like that were very well protected.

I liked what I saw but either that play is going to be really nice for us all year or teams are going to figure out how to pass rush around it like the play mentioned above. There may have to be another wrinkle thrown in some how to slow that down.

Good play though.

Good info in here.

After reading this I went back and watched some of the offensive plays from Saturday to see what you were talking about.

I noticed something interesting. I didn't realize how many of our passing plays were play action with linemen pulling to one side or the other in pass pro. I think it was a play like that where Martinez got sacked because Long didn't get pulled in time to get the DE coming off end. Almost all other plays like that were very well protected.

I liked what I saw but either that play is going to be really nice for us all year or teams are going to figure out how to pass rush around it like the play mentioned above. There may have to be another wrinkle thrown in some how to slow that down.

Good play though.

I'd say a good majority of the PA passes had linemen pulling. And Beck did a good job of using the compliments to set up the next play he wanted, i.e. PA to run, run to PA. If these guys get there assignments and technique down they could be killer packages because from a D line perspective the PA and the actual run will look very similar and keep them guessing. You might even be able to mix in a play fake and have a QB draw run off it. That's one formation/one blocking scheme and three possible outcomes.

I agree about Jackson. He plays with a ton of tenacity. Loved watching him fly at people.

I was kind of disappointed in Spencer Long on a couple of plays. I'll have to re-watch the game again, but I think he whiffed on two blocks that lead to Martinez getting sacked. . . one was just a weird play call where he pulled to pick up the defensive end on the opposite side of the line. Seemed like an odd pass protection scheme, but I'm sure it was to help sell the play action fake. If he would have picked up that block, he could have just leveled Collins.

The other one he just flat out got beat one on one, but I can't remember if it lead to a sack or a TFL.

He was solid the rest of the game, but those two plays by long stick out in my mind as our two biggest mistakes by the offensive line. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Whoops, didn't see this.

I noticed something interesting. I didn't realize how many of our passing plays were play action with linemen pulling to one side or the other in pass pro. I think it was a play like that where Martinez got sacked because Long didn't get pulled in time to get the DE coming off end.

Yep, that's the one I'm talking about.

I have been a longtime follower of this board, but decided to start posting. I am a former offensive lineman that played football for 14 years, culminating with a career at a division II school. After years of looking up to players like Rimington, Aaron Graham, and Dominic Raiola, I was extremely impressed with Justin Jackson in his first start on Saturday. They used him out in space often and he was quick, physical, and always finishes plays in a dominant position. I noticed him early, and couldn't stop watching his great effort and intensity throughout the game. I know center was a concern coming into the year, but i thought Jackson played great as well as the rest of the group up front.

I apologize for the long post, just wanted to put in my 2 cents and give some love for the big guys up front.

Thanks for listening.

Good post. Thanks for your input.

I agree about Jackson. He plays with a ton of tenacity. Loved watching him fly at people.

I was kind of disappointed in Spencer Long on a couple of plays. I'll have to re-watch the game again, but I think he whiffed on two blocks that lead to Martinez getting sacked. . . one was just a weird play call where he pulled to pick up the defensive end on the opposite side of the line. Seemed like an odd pass protection scheme, but I'm sure it was to help sell the play action fake. If he would have picked up that block, he could have just leveled Collins.

The other one he just flat out got beat one on one, but I can't remember if it lead to a sack or a TFL.

He was solid the rest of the game, but those two plays by long stick out in my mind as our two biggest mistakes by the offensive line. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Ya they are pulling the guards on play action plays, same as a run, to create a little confusion and to keep the dline and LBers honest. He missed on Jamie Collins and he got an easy sack. Overall the line looked great, if we can stay healthy they should be pretty formidable.

Thanks for listening.

Couldn't agree more. I thought that was the most dominate our O-line has looked since 2000. I've got a question for you since you played the O-line. On the plays where Jackson pulls and leads the outside run he was actually behind the RB a couple times. I noticed that when he pulled he would sag a couple yards behind the LOS, where as when the guards pulled they would go right down the LOS. Is this by design or was that an error on his part. Also did he not get out in front of the play fast enough, or did the running back not wait for his blocking? BTW this is not a criticism. Jackson played outstanding.

In my opinion I don't think that would be by design. Playing center myself, I found it pretty difficult to get out that wide and beat the back but, I wasn't the quickest guy out there. You could tell that when he got out late he was looking to find somebody to hit and stick his nose in there. Although i don't believe it was by design, he was still finding someone in a different color jersey and making a hit. It was not a perfect, technically sound game by anyone up front, but the effort and intensity was there. There is definitely something to be said about guys giving great effort it and getting after it up front. High effort and intensity will deflate a defense and I think the Huskers can win a lot of ball games in the 4th quarter due to that.

Huskerpipeline54: You need to stick around and give real analysis of the line play. a lot of us watch on tv and get to watching the skill positions. Me I am very guilty of that and wonder why sometimes as to what really happened. It all starts up front and maybe you can back up some theories or put people in check as to what is really happening. Please stick around. I am guessing you played at UNO.

Wayne State College

You got me, I did play at Wayne State. I had some fun times there and a couple of really good seasons. I just love the game, have played since age 8 from Tennessee and then in Nebraska. I have been a big Husker fan my entire life and was meant to be a lineman. GBR