Shatel: For Martinez, new blends well with old

NUance

Shatel: For Martinez, new blends well with old

By Tom Shatel / World-Herald columnist

Bo Pelini is a headmaster of Old School football, in the fine tradition of patriarchs like Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes and Vince Lombardi. The locker room is family. Coach's way or the highway, your pick. Steve Calhoun is a professor of passing in the New School of football. He is an independent contractor, running the “Armed and Dangerous” passing camp in Los Angeles. He's tutored Cam Newton and Jake Locker. He has pupils across the country, ages 8 through college.

<snip>

It's a brave, new world for the high school or college coach, who has to compete with a kid's select coach, AAU coach or hired-gun teacher in the name of future greatness. Calhoun estimates that there are 100 passing coaches like himself just in the state of California. Pick a college quarterback, he says, and that kid has a guru on the side.

LINK

Pretty good article on Steve Calhoun, T-Mart's other coach.

This season will be interesting. Improved footwork doesn't stop you from making poor decisions. I hope we see more Oklahoma St. Martinez than Wisconsin Martinez. Thus far, he's been VERY Oklahoma St. Martinez, and I just have a good gut feeling that this year will be one of his finest.

The best part of his passing is that it will open up the defense for his biggest weapon, his speed and running ability. Once they back out of the box to cover the pass, he'll be able to make them pay. No more 8-9 in the box against the Huskers!

I am almost giddy with excitement to see this. If defenses have to play this offense straight up, and if this O Line continues to play like they did last Saturday, we'll be moving the ball on most everyone on our schedule.

Last week we all seen that t-mart can put it all together and look great, what I am interested to see is if he can do it on a week to week basis when he isnt coming off a whole summer of working on it. I think we will find out alot about how much taylor has truly improved in a couple weeks once the season is in full swing. and I think we will like what we see!

This season will be interesting. Improved footwork doesn't stop you from making poor decisions. I hope we see more Oklahoma St. Martinez than Wisconsin Martinez. Thus far, he's been VERY Oklahoma St. Martinez, and I just have a good gut feeling that this year will be one of his finest.

One of the best things I saw from Taylor last Saturday was the way he reacted to what was pretty much the only bad pass he threw all game. Before, if he threw a dangerous pass, he got rattled and threw more dangerous passes. Against SMU, like I said, he really only threw that one pass that was close to being picked off. It didn't seem to spook him like it would've last year.

One of the best things I saw from Taylor last Saturday was the way he reacted to what was pretty much the only bad pass he threw all game. Before, if he threw a dangerous pass, he got rattled and threw more dangerous passes. Against SMU, like I said, he really only threw that one pass that was close to being picked off. It didn't seem to spook him like it would've last year.

Also note, Bell has come out and said that errant pass wasn't Martinez's fault, but his own.

The best part of his passing is that it will open up the defense for his biggest weapon, his speed and running ability. Once they back out of the box to cover the pass, he'll be able to make them pay. No more 8-9 in the box against the Huskers!

I think this is the biggest reason why we saw the Huskers pass over 30 times this past week. They wanted to make a statement that you have to defend our pass and be serious about it. It may take a couple more games for people to really realize how serious we are about that. BUT, once it happens, our run game is going to be really fun to watch. AND, it will really help out the O line also.

I think this is the biggest reason why we saw the Huskers pass over 30 times this past week. They wanted to make a statement that you have to defend our pass and be serious about it. It may take a couple more games for people to really realize how serious we are about that. BUT, once it happens, our run game is going to be really fun to watch. AND, it will really help out the O line also.

Agree. And a more consistent offense will allow our defense a bit of rest.

Now, about that kicking game... Hopefully Maher has recovered from the hangover that was his first game.

OK....let's take a moment to be fans.

If Taylor can keep up this kind of play throughout this year, just think how special his senior season could be with even more time with his guru and another year in the system with all of these receivers/Oline/RBs.

...and against a far easier schedule. We add 2 more (Illinois, Purdue) Southern Miss's to the schedule.

Wyoming, Southern Miss, UCLA, S. Dakota State, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern. Pretty good warm up to the Michigan game.

OK....let's take a moment to be fans.

If Taylor can keep up this kind of play throughout this year, just think how special his senior season could be with even more time with his guru and another year in the system with all of these receivers/Oline/RBs.

...and against a far easier schedule. We add 2 more (Illinois, Purdue) Southern Miss's to the schedule.

Wyoming, Southern Miss, UCLA, S. Dakota State, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern. Pretty good warm up to the Michigan game.

Good point about the schedule. In these first two years our sched has been absolutely brutal. It gets more reasonable next year.