CFN Nebraska-UCLA Prediction

- CFN Fearless Predictions

Nebraska (1-0) at UCLA (1-0) Sept. 8, 7:30, Fox

Here’s The Deal: Now that UCLA was able to turn a few heads with its opening week effort, it’s looking to capture the attention of the entire country in Week 2. The Bruins played well in the debut of head coach Jim Mora, running away with a 49-24 victory that was unusually led by the offense. However, the victim was Rice, leaving many to wonder whether or not this program is truly ready to take a forward step following the miserable Rick Neuheisel era. While UCLA is at least a year away from being a serious threat in the Pac-12 South, beating a ranked opponent is the kind of thing that can instantly galvanize the fan base, and help raise awareness for would-be recruits. You could count on a few fingers the number of Big Ten teams that played their opener as if they were ready for the start of the 2012 season. Nebraska was one of them. The Huskers zipped past Southern Miss, 49-20, the reigning Conference USA champs and an always dangerous school. If the team is going to remain unbeaten an survive its only road game of September, it might have to do so without star RB Rex Burkhead. The senior injured his knee a week, leaving him questionable for Saturday night.

Why Nebraska Might Win: At best, Burkhead still won’t be at full strength, which means other Huskers will need to step. Taylor Martinez looks as if he’ll be up to the task. The heavily-scrutinized quarterback is coming off the best game of his career, throwing five touchdown passes, without a pick, to five different receivers. Plus, Ameer Abdullah is not a typical backup, an elusive sophomore who went for 81 yards a week ago. Physical at the point of attack, Nebraska will manage the Bruins defense in order to allow Martinez and Abdullah to squirt through holes. Bruins QB Brett Hundley played well in his first game, but he’ll find the Huskers D a lot more challenging than that of Rice. LB Will Compton will keep his eyes on the elusive hurler, making sure he can’t get beyond the second level.

Why UCLA Might Win: The offense looked very good last Thursday, regardless of who was playing defense on the other side of the line. A more pro-style approach seems to fit the Bruins personnel, though the running game remains king on campus for now. Not only is Hundley a threat to take off from the pocket, but Johnathan Franklin is one of the Pac-12’s most underrated backs. He exploded for 214 yards and three touchdowns on 15 carries, and is capable of carrying this attack on his back. The Nebraska D is solid, but not impenetrable now that tackling machine Lavonte David is playing on Sundays. UCLA has had problems rushing the passer in recent years, but six sacks in the opener could be a sign that this defense is prepared to turn the corner in 2012.

What To Watch Out For: Martinez. Is he the real deal, or was last week in Lincoln a fluke? He’s had the occasional big games through the air in the past, but typically follows them up with a series of clunkers. Hey, Martinez isn’t the kind of passer that’ll make NFL GMs swoon, but after an offseason of dedication to his craft, he does appear to have cleaned up his mechanics and decision-making. With a clear and present threat in the passing game, the Huskers are a completely different team, one that could jump to the head of the Big Ten line. Not only did last week’s five touchdown passes incite a victory, but it also gave UCLA coaches something additional to think about. If the Bruins don’t cover WR Kenny Bell and TE Kyler Reed, Martinez is now capable of making them pay for it through the air.

What Will Happen: Not so fast, Bruins. UCLA is clearly headed in the right direction under Mora, but Nebraska will be like biting off a little more than the team can chew at this time. The Bruins are still a little young, and are searching for an identity. While Franklin can play with anyone, his O-line is uncertain, Hundley is green and the defense needs more time to gel. Martinez will balance a little more running with his passing this week, getting ample support from Abdullah and the receivers. The Huskers D will take UCLA down a peg, reminding it that it remains an unbalanced and inconsistent production.

CFN Prediction: Nebraska 31 … UCLA 23

ATS Consultants Line (Click for more lines and picks) Nebraska -5.5 O/U: 60

Must Watch Rating (5 – Phineas & Ferb, 1 – Steve Harvey):

Seems like most the pundits think it'll be a closer game than we NU fans think. I hope they're wrong. I'm hoping for a blowout--but I'd take any win. I really just want to get by these guys and move on.

What were a lot of people saying the score was going to be against SMU? I think we continue to surprise people this week with another big win.

I put 100 on us -6 parlay with Vanderbilt -3.5 over Northwestern to win 265 should be easy money

I think NW is going to win that game, or be a FG game, i just rose the line of our game to 6.5 and risked 50 for 55

no way, vandy should have beaten USC last week, if it wasn't for a blown pass interference call they probably would have

was that because vandy looked good or USC played like horse sh#t? vandy's offense was atrocious, their D kept them in it because of a few turnovers and shaw being out for 3 series.

I put 100 on us -6 parlay with Vanderbilt -3.5 over Northwestern to win 265 should be easy money

I think NW is going to win that game, or be a FG game, i just rose the line of our game to 6.5 and risked 50 for 55

no way, vandy should have beaten USC last week, if it wasn't for a blown pass interference call they probably would have

was that because vandy looked good or USC played like horse sh#t? vandy's offense was atrocious, their D kept them in it because of a few turnovers and shaw being out for 3 series.

thats a good point, but NW doesnt have a Marcus Lattimore to rely on. and whats the word on colter, i thought he got hurt last week? I think vandy is going toshut down NW's offense and they wont need a whole lot of offense themselves to win this one, i mean NW let syracuse score 41 on them, vandy will win this one by 14+ imo

thats a good point, but NW doesnt have a Marcus Lattimore to rely on. and whats the word on colter, i thought he got hurt last week? I think vandy is going toshut down NW's offense and they wont need a whole lot of offense themselves to win this one, i mean NW let syracuse score 41 on them, vandy will win this one by 14+ imo

I agree, Vandys a good team and NW doesnt have a defense, its one of the safest lines IMO

I'm certainly no expert on CFB gambling but it is concerning to me that people outside of the fan base for Nebraska are picking this game so close. Is it because they know something we don't, or vice versa?

I think it's a combination of Vegas knowing UCLA has talent, but isn't sure if it will be utilized, and that there is little or no film for DoNU to look at on this particular UCLA team to see what they'll do. Conversely, UCLA has has ample film and all summer to focus on DoNU.

Factor in an assumed home field advantage (providing Nebraska fans don't make UCLA fans look like Baylor fans...) and Nebraska's propensity for being unable to stop a dual-threat QB during Bo's tenure, and this game could be closer than what Nebraska fans would care for it to be.

I'm certainly no expert on CFB gambling but it is concerning to me that people outside of the fan base for Nebraska are picking this game so close. Is it because they know something we don't, or vice versa?

I think it's a combination of Vegas knowing UCLA has talent, but isn't sure if it will be utilized, and that there is little or no film for DoNU to look at on this particular UCLA team to see what they'll do. Conversely, UCLA has has ample film and all summer to focus on DoNU.

Factor in an assumed home field advantage (providing Nebraska fans don't make UCLA fans look like Baylor fans...) and Nebraska's propensity for being unable to stop a dual-threat QB during Bo's tenure, and this game could be closer than what Nebraska fans would care for it to be.

Actually Bo said they were studying them in April, and they did pretty much what they thought they would do on offense in the first game

I'm not one of those guys that believes UCLA has an advantage. We here at HB even discussed in detail about how much more option we were gonna run this year! I think I saw some version on it maybe twice. If UCLA gameplanned in fall camp for the option and now look at game one film of us, I would be worried if I were them! If we continue to be even close to that efficient in the passing game, then we should dictate football games! Have fun trying to gameplan for a team that rolls up 300 yards in either facet of the offense or sometimes 300 yards in both! All signs point to another thrashing of another over matched pac12 bottom dweller! GBR!