What We Learned

walksalone

I learned that as I get older, all the drunks kicking and screaming, hurling out insults @ our guys is probably getting more annoying than loses like these. Get mad at the coaches who have been there for years making the big $, not our players...yeah there was some awful fundamentals on display, but I don't think we have a team of quitters / crybabies / primadonnas that only care about themselves or getting into the NFL. Until I see people quitting or going full retard with personal fouls and such I won't give up hope for this bunch.

• Fire 1

A UCLA fan can see it. Hey there UCLA fan, what do you think about our patty-cake non-attacking style of defense? I think it's pretty frustrating when the other team is pretty much guaranteed 3 yards per carry simply because of our defensive scheme. Is Bo going to ride this 2-gap style D to the firing block or is he going to get his head out of his ass and realize we don't have good enough athletes to run it?

I was surprised at how Nebraska was not a physical team at all. I was thinking you would be tough and physical. You were anything but that. I thought we might be faster. We were faster and more physical.

1. Nebraska has forgotten what has made them Nebraska football. (Power/Option football + Aggressive/Swarming Defense = The real Nebraska football.)

2 We need to return to naming permanent team captains at the beginning of the season.

3. We need to return to handing out ONLY 11 blackshirt jerseys at the beginning of the season and use those 11 jerseys as incentives to the rest of the defense that covets being defensive starters at Nebraska. Being a Blackshirt isn't just a name...it's a mindset, a style of play, an expectation of excellence.

I could go on, but I will stop at 3 for now.

Nailed it.

A UCLA fan can see it. Hey there UCLA fan, what do you think about our patty-cake non-attacking style of defense? I think it's pretty frustrating when the other team is pretty much guaranteed 3 yards per carry simply because of our defensive scheme. Is Bo going to ride this 2-gap style D to the firing block or is he going to get his head out of his ass and realize we don't have good enough athletes to run it?

I was surprised at how Nebraska was not a physical team at all. I was thinking you would be tough and physical. You were anything but that. I thought we might be faster. We were faster and more physical.

That just hurts to hear, but it is also true. Nebraska was not physical on either side of the ball tonight. And I am telling you Husker fans we cannot be a physical football team with this spread offense. We need to get back to power football from under center.

I learned that my four year old daughter has a better grasp of tackling fundamentals than the defensive starters on our team. What's funny is that this is true--she came at me full force to give me a hug because she felt bad about the loss, and she tackled me for a loss. Anyone on that D, save for SJB, should be worried that she'll walk-on next year.

We should give her a scholarship. She's probably better than Meredith.

I was actually going to suggest this, but I would prefer she play in the secondary. She's very tall and lanky for her age. Probably will play basketball or volleyball as well.

What's sad is that she even realized there was a problem in the second quarter when they were running all over us. Very astute, that one. I'm certain to have problems with her when she gets to be a teenager. :)

I learned that as I get older, all the drunks kicking and screaming, hurling out insults @ our guys is probably getting more annoying than loses like these. Get mad at the coaches who have been there for years making the big $, not our players...yeah there was some awful fundamentals on display, but I don't think we have a team of quitters / crybabies / primadonnas that only care about themselves or getting into the NFL. Until I see people quitting or going full retard with personal fouls and such I won't give up hope for this bunch.

I think it's good to throw out some criticism at the players if they just don't do their job well. Sure they're students, but they're in front of millions playing a very important part of a game. They should be open to criticism, as well as the coaches who watch them play bad. You can say the kids didn't play well and still not have it be the end of the world. It's still a game, but you still want to win.

I have plenty of family and old buddies that yell at the screen and have heart attacks watching football. Hey, it's great to be passionate, just remember they're a bunch of students playing a game. Watching the Huskers play shouldn't give you a case of the rages even if they do play terrible. Perspective.

If UCLA had carried one more time and picked up another 4+ yards, that would have been the most yards a Nebraska defense has ever given up. Ever.

EVER.

I'm having Cosgrove flashbacks. Help.

Where did you hear that stat?

http://www.huskermax.com/records/2011/2011records.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 and look for the section titled 'Top Ten Total Offense Games Against Nebraska' and see where tonight's 653 fits in.

edit: Updated link to 2011 verson... same results, though.

• Fire 1

Defense is worse than we thought. YES

Martinez is still the old Martinez when under pressure YES, which is why Beck ought to not put games on his back.

Beck is an idiot HAHA, that's an understatement.

Papuchis is an idiot No Comment.

Our defense can't tackle Hell, Lingerie football players tackle better.

Our defense is slow and lethargic This is sad.

The O-line is still decent. Gong away from downhill, lead blocking was the biggest mistake on offense.

I learned how to change the drive wheels on my self propelled mower this afternoon and look forward very much to the next time I mow. It should make the steep slope in my backyard much easier now.

I also learned, or re-learned, why I don't let Husker Football determine the quality of my life, not even for part of a day.

When the boys (they are 18, 19, 20...old boys yes, but not men yet) in Red line up again next week I will be in Lincoln yelling my head off, cheering like a maniac and loving every minute of it.

Go Big Red!

• Fire 3