Are we a mid-major?

treyball3

I don't literally mean talent wise, we are a mid-major. If you read the original post, it's about coaches and learning on the job. Coaches don't learn on the job at big programs like Nebraska. They learn on the job at mid-majors, which is why the comparison.

Was TO a mid-major when he was handed the keys back in the early 70's? I mean really, what did he really have for experience as a head coach when he became the head coach? My brother and I were talking about the game this morning when he popped out that if this is what we wanted all along we might as well have kept Solich. He was heavily in favor of the firing of Solich. It brought me back to thinking of Solich and the team he's built at Ohio. If they can make it past Marshall, they very well could end the season undefeated. How great of a name had McBride made for himself before TO hired him? I remember a time when McBride was the most loathed coach on our staff.

When Bo got here, we had some holes in this team. Baker Steinkuhler was a highly touted recruit, but it was for his offensive line play rather than his defensive line play. Out of necessity, Bo had to put him on the DL. We were poor at LB, so we took a RB and converted him to LB. I think we're still playing a bit of catch up here, but I agree in year five the holes should be plugged by now.

I'm just not sure I agree with the mid-major in terms of the staff. Look at all the no names Bill Snyder has put into the coaching ranks. He took a lot of young guys and gave them their first shot mostly because his staffed got picked over time and time again. It took TO quite a while before he started recruiting massive quantities of speed. Our defense this year reminds me an awful lot of several of TO's defenses that got totally shellacked in bowl games against the speed of Miami, Florida State, etc. We're gonna get there, but it's going to take more time.

Every legendary coach started somewhere. (So did every coach who was terrible, I'll grant you that :lol:)

I actually find it highly encouraging that the guy is willing to publicly acknowledge that he made a mistake, and then went on to detail how he was wrong. The people who gain the most wisdom in life, in any avenue, are the one's who are willing to humbly admit flaws. That's the first step in learning a better way to do whatever it is that you've faltered in.

I LOVE hearing Beck say that. Makes me believe the guy doesn't think he has it all figured out. People with that attitude tend to grow rather than stagnate.

I +1ed you for this, but wanted to call it out.

I don't have a problem with coaches like Beck cutting their teeth here (hell, Bo is still cutting his teeth as a head coach) if they have the right attitude and are willing to admit mistakes.

What concerns me is that we haven't heard anything of this nature from Bo himself...which worries me that he won't hold the coordinators responsible. Plus, the obvious lack of fundamentals last night worries me about Coach Pauchapis.

I +1ed you for this, but wanted to call it out.

I don't have a problem with coaches like Beck cutting their teeth here (hell, Bo is still cutting his teeth as a head coach) if they have the right attitude and are willing to admit mistakes.

What concerns me is that we haven't heard anything of this nature from Bo himself...which worries me that he won't hold the coordinators responsible. Plus, the obvious lack of fundamentals last night worries me about Coach Pauchapis.

Yeah, that's valid. There has been surprisingly little discussion about Papuchis assuming the DC responsibilities from my vantage point. And before you mentioned it this hadn't even occurred to me, but it's been almost strangely silent in Lincoln regarding that whole situation. Beck seemed visible and vocal from the start, if my memory serves correctly. I don't think I've heard Papuchis say one single solitary word about what his personal defensive philosophies are. I'm glad you mentioned that, because when I think about it, it does seem oddly closed off. Has anyone heard any interviews with him that were revealing in any way? Because Beck certainly talked about his offensive philosophies, what he wanted to implement, ect.

I think I've just failed to really contemplate the succession on that side of the ball because I've (perhaps falsely) assumed that Bo had the strongest hand guiding the D, regardless of who held the DC title. I was so annoyed after the S. Carolina game I just kind of checked out for a bit, and after Carl left and they announced Papuchis was filling the vacancy, I just instantly assumed that, yeah, he'd technically be the DC but it would be a Putin as PM type of arrangement, with Bo really calling most of the significant shots on D. And Papuchis, I figured, would continue to be one of our primary big-game hunters on the recruiting trail. I have no idea if that has any validity of not, or how much autonomy Papuchis has. For that matter, I never had that firm a grasp of what Carl did, outside of recruit and "take it easy."