Do we always have to lose one we shouldn't?

craigsker

I honestly think by the end of the year this loss is not going to be that bad. Looking at their schedule, UCLA is a legitimate 10 win time. Newweasel brought a lot of talent to that place. When it's all said and done, this game will probably not be the one we shouldntve lost. We still have Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn St., and (shivers, gags) Iowa.

I've noticed a trend that last couple of years where it seems that we always have to lose one we shouldn't. Last year it was Northwestern. In 2010 it was the Holiday bowl against Washington.

Was UCLA that game? This is something I wish would get fixed.

UCLA wasn't that game, unless you were one of the folks going around predicting we were going to blow UCLA out of the water...

UCLA has talent in the cupboard--moreso than Nebraska--but they never got a coach that could utilize it over the past decade or so. UCLA finally having a coach that can...well..coach effectively, plus not having film on these guys, and I'm not shocked with our loss.

Disappointed? Yes, especially in how our defense failed to execute and how our new(ish) coordinators were schooled (again, no film helped...). But not shocked.

I honestly think by the end of the year this loss is not going to be that bad. Looking at their schedule, UCLA is a legitimate 10 win time. Newweasel brought a lot of talent to that place. When it's all said and done, this game will probably not be the one we shouldntve lost. We still have Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn St., and (shivers, gags) Iowa.

We lose to Iowa and I'm going into hiding...........................my life will be hell for an entire year with these immature bastards.

I don't mind losing to UCLA, like you said they have some talent. But what bothers me is our defense was terrible (missed tackles, wide open WRs). If we lose but played well that's one thing, but to give up 600+ yards on defense, that's just embarrassing. After the first two games I'm not impressed with our defense, I don't understand what Bo is doing and how they could be this bad. Hopefully something clicks and we get better but im worried about 5+ loses this year. Just my opinion.

The "shouldn't's" should be saved until the end of the year. Nebraska fans believed prior to the game that it would be a walkover, but that was not based on any real knowledge of the Bruins. It was based on assumptions.

Ask your question again at the end of the year. Then everybody will know which Nebraska losses should be in the "shouldn't" category.

The "shouldn't's" should be saved until the end of the year. Nebraska fans believed prior to the game that it would be a walkover, but that was not based on any real knowledge of the Bruins. It was based on assumptions.

Ask your question again at the end of the year. Then everybody will know which Nebraska losses should be in the "shouldn't" category.

Please note... many Husker fans did not see a walkover at all. Many of us predicted a close win or a close loss toss-up. And that was based upon what we knew of UCLA... and, unfortunately, on what we know of NU.

This was a shouldn't. Based on the fact that most of the defense forgot how to tackle, our offensive coordinator's brains fell out of his ass during critical points. We had several chances to take control of this game, but we failed to capitalize on it, and we lost...

That's it...

I'm with some of the others here. I'm not so sure this was a game that we "shouldn't" lose. Yes, we clearly could have won the game, but even if we played up to our potential on offense, our defense's best effort probably wouldn't have slowed them down much. That team was motivated, well coached, and athletic. That was a street brawl. Anyone watching could see we were losing the physicality battle. They out muscled us and looked pretty good doing it. I think they'll prove to be a pretty good team when this season is all said and done. Unfortunately, those players for UCLA that looked so good were very young players. Players that will have a year of experience under their belt when they travel to Lincoln next year. No reason to think we won't struggle with them again next year if we utilize the same coaching strategy we tried to apply to this game.

I've noticed a trend that last couple of years where it seems that we always have to lose one we shouldn't. Last year it was Northwestern. In 2010 it was the Holiday bowl against Washington.

Was UCLA that game? This is something I wish would get fixed.

UCLA wasn't that game, unless you were one of the folks going around predicting we were going to blow UCLA out of the water...

UCLA has talent in the cupboard--moreso than Nebraska--but they never got a coach that could utilize it over the past decade or so. UCLA finally having a coach that can...well..coach effectively, plus not having film on these guys, and I'm not shocked with our loss.

Disappointed? Yes, especially in how our defense failed to execute and how our new(ish) coordinators were schooled (again, no film helped...). But not shocked.

I think this is the thing most people here overlook. Nudehiesel could recruit. He can't coach worth a lick, but the man can recruit. Doesn't anyone remember what Barnett was able to do with some Nudehiesel recruits at CU? Willingham's best seasons at Washington was after Nudeheisel was fired. UCLA definitely has talent. I would argue that they have more talent and speed than we do. I'm still surprised Mora has them this coached up this early in the season, but he's done a pretty good job with the talent Nudeheisel stocked for him. I don't find this loss anywhere comparable to Northwestern either. It's more comparable to losing to A&M a few years back. Going into the game, I thought UCLA would hang with us for a half to three quarters before our road graders took over and we win by two TD's. I never penciled in that our defense would decide to stay in Lincoln for this game.

I wonder if we simply get over confident. I mean, look at how WE here on the board looked at that game with UCLA. For the particulars go back and revisit the comments that we made! We were so full of ourselves. I'm sure the players read these boards and think, 'Yeah, UCLA is going to be a pushover!' Then reality hits them right between the eyes. I hope we take a step back before we start dismantling Arkansas State and remember to look at the Arky St. game like we would if we were playing Ohio St. or Michigan. I said this at the beginning of the year: We cannot dismiss any team we play this year. I think we dismissed UCLA and lost, just like we did Northwestern last year.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/60561-ucla/

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/60653-45-point-favorites-over-ucla/

Whoa, not so fast there. Not all of the fans were on the "Blowout Derpwagon", as one of my colleagues called it.

Again--dual threat QB, no game film to study, new coach and system, and our new DC and relatively new OC. That's a recipe for a close win or a loss. This shouldn't have been a shock for us.

As for next week, we're looking at a similar recipe: talented offense, new head coach, no (meaningful) film on ASU, and our DC is still an unproven n00b, and our OC still has the 'new car smell' about him.

While I'd love to see DoNU blow ASU out of the water, I would expect similar to what I expected for UCLA (sans all of the defensive derp): a close game, we pull away late, and we come back here to thrash about a bit on the message boards about how we should have blown ASU out of the water and didn't.

I wonder if we simply get over confident. I mean, look at how WE here on the board looked at that game with UCLA. For the particulars go back and revisit the comments that we made! We were so full of ourselves. I'm sure the players read these boards and think, 'Yeah, UCLA is going to be a pushover!' Then reality hits them right between the eyes.

I think multiple people mentioned this, but our kids do read and hear about what we say on these boards--either directly, or indirectly (e.g. "Hey (Player X), I heard you guys are expected to blow out UCLA this week on Huskerboard.com..."

All of the derp about blowing UCLA out of the water could very well have poisoned tainted(?) our kids. One thing about a connected society like ours is that it is...well...connected, and what a poster says could resonate with the kids.

Should it? No. But nothing in life is ever ideal, and these are still kids and young adults we're talking about.