Diamond Formation

Haspula

Diamond-Formation-1st.jpg

On saturday it looks like we didnt do a lot of plays using the diamond formation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1boFUYaAZQ&feature=related

Watch 1:35:00-1:39:00 of this game. That was an incredible drive. the diamond formation has been successful in the past, i dont know why we didnt run it against UCLA

It was successful once so i assume we will never do it again, I assume that is also why we never run a screen pass or blitz on defense, at some point in the Pelini Era those worked and helped us win a game and so he vowed to never do it again. Or maybe we are holding back for Wisconsin, we don't want to show too much, which is the lamest exucse I have ever heard. :sarcasm

Seriouly though i really cant figure it out either, I thought last year after the ohio st game we would use it alot more and never had, i am also serious about screen passes and blitzing and why we dont do those more. I question the coaching decisions, i support Pelini but just shake my head at our inability to make the right moves.

Didn't use the formation at all last Saturday. I know some coordinators don't like putting certain sets in film, but I'm a believer that it is just one more thing for opponent to have to prepare for.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a heavy dose of it in conference play. But also won't be surprised if it is seen as often as a Bigfoot sighting

It is obvious that on O we really want to be "jacks of all trade, master of none". Not that this is a bad thing, but we do not have the luxury of waiting until conference play to show our hand. Our guys need as much real time practice as they can get.

In the past, I tried to blow off the non-conference issues as being vanilla or not trying to show to much, then I finally realized that we are really lacking in a lot of areas and do not have a lot of the "wow factor" to even hide. Don't get me wrong, simple is good ie Bama on O, but we need the work. Don't hide anything.

But to the diamond, Heard/Cross, Martinez, REX and AA forget about it. Hell throw in JT back the

I'd rather see them throw Marrow in there at FB and pound the rock. If we want to do this out of the diamond, I'm fine with it. Throw Marrow on one side and Zimmerer on the other side of Taylor and make the D guess which guy will be leading the way.

OR just stick to the basics and line up in the I formation. Let's get Cross more touches so we can develop trust in him and use him all game long when we need a power presence in the backfield. Who knows if Rex plays this Saturday again... I would guess not.