School lunch programs.

My son graduated HS last year. He ate in his HS cafeteria maybe ten times max in the four years he was there. Would go off campus almost everyday. I'm not sure what they were serving- he said it sucked. But, the main reason he did not eat there is they could not physically feed all 1200ish students in the time allotted. Not even close. He told me they would give priority to free/reduced lunch kids and there was no time to get others fed. Luckily his school was near an area with quite a few restaurants and they would give students a really good deal. He could eat lunch on five bucks a day. I think about 65% of his school was on free/reduced so out of 1200 they could only handle up to about 750 max in the time allowed. That doesn't seem quite right to me. I'm not even sure if all the fr kids had an opportunity.

My daughters middle school (another district with way less fr kids) has a really good fully loaded salad bar as a daily option. They also have a main line and an ala carte area that usually has some crap like taco bell and dominoes. This is in northern Colorado.

JJ, where in Northern Colorado? Greeley is about the only place that comes to mind when you say northern Colorado.

I'm fairly familiar with the generalities but not the specifics. Among the new mandates (paraphrasing):

- Smaller portions of the main dish

- Main dish can't be in the biggest divider in the tray

- Can't have higher fat items on the salad bar - meats, dressings, etc.

- No salt shakers

- Have to charge for second helpings

Some things our school is facing:

- Current trays don't meet the requirements - serving on styrofoam trays until sure the mandates are permanent/won't be relaxed

- Sharply reduced numbers eating at school - eating fast food downtown (much healthier)

- excess food thrown away because students have to pay for extra

My biggest complaint, other than what has been listed above - as was alluded to earlier - is our 6'4" 285 lb senior DT is getting the same portions as a 4'11" 85 lb. freshman girl. Much as you try, you can't shove everyone into the same box.

When I was in high school (a decade ago, jeez!) we had to pay for seconds, there were not always seconds, and the meat was always disgusting. During wresting season we effectively could not even eat the cafeteria food.

Personally, I had pretty good parents, but they never taught me squat about diet or cooking, and neither did school, I learned everything from a wresting coach. There's pretty good science that shows people will eat larger portions if they are served larger portions and that becomes their baseline for a meal, and pure sugar drinks / foods don't even trigger the senses that tell you're full. We all end up paying up the wazoo for chronic diseases that come from obesity...so I don't see how trying to reverse and unsustainable trajectory of obesity is a bad idea.

Little update FYI....Apparently a congressman from Iowa? put in a bill to strip the regulation restricting calorie intake for school lunches. I think IIRC the current intake was 550 for elementary, 625 for Middle and 700 for high school. If that's accurate its not surprising many athletes are hungry by the time practice came around.

Little update FYI....Apparently a congressman from Iowa? put in a bill to strip the regulation restricting calorie intake for school lunches. I think IIRC the current intake was 550 for elementary, 625 for Middle and 700 for high school. If that's accurate its not surprising many athletes are hungry by the time practice came around.

700 calories is a pretty good meal. You could eat a whole chicken breast with some kind of sauce, a cup of rice, a cup of green beans, a piece of fruit, and glass of 1% milk and still be under 700 calories. I think the calorie stipulations are fine, they just need to consider another snack or (or small meal for athletes) at the end of school. Just about anyone is going to be hungry 3 to 4 hours after they eat a healthy meal under 900 calories.

Whats wrong with taking a sack lunch?

Oh...here's a little treat of a tid bit.....it is against the rules at our school for the kids to have food in their lockers.

Now, my kids have taken their own lunch and they didn't get a in trouble. But, the rule is still there and technically they could be in trouble.

As for the calories....yes, we do have hungry kids after they eat. BUT, to me it is even more than that. We have crappy food and we could offer even HEALTHIER and better tasting food if it weren't for the government regulations.

our school is one step from saying kids can't bring their own lunch. Right now, you can't bring anything that requires heating or anything in a box or bag that has corporate logos. You also can't bring peanuts or peanut butter. I have a friend that is a dietician for the school system and she mentioned that it has been brought up that a few school board members would like to "outlaw" sack lunches. If our school forbids lunches brought from home I think I'll see if my doctor will write an excuse that my son is allergic to pink slime.