The fate of the huguenot controversy

This post has pretty much nothing to do with the topic line, but I figured the tag line might at least spark your interest.

Like many others, I'm more of a lurker, but I post once in a blue moon. I do have a gripe though, but not about the UCLA game, but a new rule that I heard about within that game. I don't know if anyone else has brought this up.

Can someone explain how it would be possible to ever recover an onside kick with the new rule? It's a low percentage happening as it is, but now you can call for a fair catch after the ball bounces once? That pretty much leaves one option - to dribble it down the middle which the defense is/was obviously waiting for. What other scenario would work? I saw that Wisconsin almost pulled it off - almost, but not quite. I'd like to see a team that does, because I see the new rule putting the chances of this happening pretty much at a zero in a situation where an onside is expected.

I know it's a rule to protect the players, but come on, it's football. Pretty soon kick off's will be reduced to two hand touch.

Also, why wouldn't the receiving team just put one guy up there (to avoid someone accidentally touching the ball), call for the fair catch, and then let the ball fly where it will without anyone touching it? If you call for the fair catch you don't actually need to catch it. You can just let the ball be downed where it stops and retain possession.

Also, why wouldn't the receiving team just put one guy up there (to avoid someone accidentally touching the ball), call for the fair catch, and then let the ball fly where it will without anyone touching it? If you call for the fair catch you don't actually need to catch it. You can just let the ball be downed where it stops and retain possession.

?.... If I get what you're saying correctly, it makes no sense. If he just lets the ball go, the other team can recover it and take back possession. On a kickoff, or onside, the receiving team has to recover it unless the ball doesn't roll 10 yards.

?.... If I get what you're saying correctly, it makes no sense. If he just lets the ball go, the other team can recover it and take back possession. On a kickoff, or onside, the receiving team has to recover it unless the ball doesn't roll 10 yards.

If that's the case then a kick-off fair catch is different than a fair catch on a punt. If the punt returner calls for a fair catch he can let the ball sail over his head and they (the receiving team) retain possession.

So I guess it must be different than a punt fair catch. Otherwise the kickoff team would always call for a fair catch and just let the ball roll. OKay, I get it. Duh. :lol:

If that's the case then a kick-off fair catch is different than a fair catch on a punt. If the punt returner calls for a fair catch he can let the ball sail over his head and they (the receiving team) retain possession.

So I guess it must be different than a punt fair catch. Otherwise the kickoff team would always call for a fair catch and just let the ball roll. OKay, I get it. Duh. :lol:

On a punt, the returner doesn't even have to call for the fair catch. He could just let it roll and as long as he doesn't touch it, the kicking team can down it.

Yes. Once the ball passes the 10 yard mark on a kickoff, it is anyone's ball.