Nebraska Defense tries to 'stop the bleeding'

ladyhawke

I think the big issue is that the scheme may be too complicated. Not saying i would change it, but there needs to be a better job teaching it. His best athletes are not on the field. Why, because they don't know the defense well enough. If you look at the tape of the last game, a lot of guys where just getting in the proper alignment when the ball was snapped. At that time, they didn't have enough time to comprehend and react. Your a lot quicker when your ready to go.

Whaley/Compton/Randle/Steinkuhler/Meredith = SLOW (Especially, Meredith)

Get the young athletes on the field, after the 2nd worst defensive performance in NU history, what do we have to lose? We have two games to get them ready!

"I have been through this before and I have a good idea on how to fix it," Pelini said.

Ummm....he's been through it for about 3 seasons now and it's still not fixed. Gotta wonder.

Exactly!

I'm all about being aboard the Bo Train. I'm not trying to unduly rip the guy, but listen - if your calling card is tremendous defense, there is never an excuse for a game like this at UCLA. And we've had several like this over Bo's tenure.

Enough with the words. Bo says all the right words. I'm sick of hearing the words. Just get this crap fixed.

This is Bo Pelini. His defenses should not "need fixing". They should be a well oiled machine throttling opponents, eating running backs for lunch and pooping qb's from day one. I would have thought after last years debacle with the defense he would have "fixed" it before this season ever started.

It's sounding more like a jimmy and joes problem to me....My main issue is tackling....it needs to get fixed pronto or the Huskers are in for a looooooooong season. Sadly...I don't know how much the tackling will improve. Bo needs to get the youngins out there and I hope to Jesus they are athletic and talented, because we need some players that can get in the right positions to make the tackles. I did not see this craptacular performance by the defense at all this season.....

I have no idea how good he is, but some comments were made to this being his best defense since he go here,that being said,

I am not so sure he knows that much about the job. Again, his winning games that really look good are with someone else's recruits/players.

Saturday night you saw his players, his scheme and his numbers, 653 is even above Clowna hans worst. 8 Freshman starting, one a second teamer on the defense and he played lights out. If Bo has freshmen on the sideline that can play, get them in there. I would much rather flush this season down the toilet and have a chance next year than pissing both down our legs.

"I have been through this before and I have a good idea on how to fix it," Pelini said.

Ummm....he's been through it for about 3 seasons now and it's still not fixed. Gotta wonder.

Exactly!

I'm all about being aboard the Bo Train. I'm not trying to unduly rip the guy, but listen - if your calling card is tremendous defense, there is never an excuse for a game like this at UCLA. And we've had several like this over Bo's tenure.

Enough with the words. Bo says all the right words. I'm sick of hearing the words. Just get this crap fixed.

This is Bo Pelini. His defenses should not "need fixing". They should be a well oiled machine throttling opponents, eating running backs for lunch and pooping qb's from day one. I would have thought after last years debacle with the defense he would have "fixed" it before this season ever started.

It's sounding more like a jimmy and joes problem to me....My main issue is tackling....it needs to get fixed pronto or the Huskers are in for a looooooooong season. Sadly...I don't know how much the tackling will improve. Bo needs to get the youngins out there and I hope to Jesus they are athletic and talented, because we need some players that can get in the right positions to make the tackles.

I think it is important for Bo to dumb the scheme down temporarily for these young kids. If they think to much, their athletic ability will be ineffective. The kids just need to get out there and play(tackle too).

This is nothing that Bo isn't already aware of, I'm sure....

I have no idea how good he is, but some comments were made to this being his best defense since he go here,that being said,

I am not so sure he knows that much about the job. Again, his winning games that really look good are with someone else's recruits/players.

Saturday night you saw his players, his scheme and his numbers, 653 is even above Clowna hans worst. 8 Freshman starting, one a second teamer on the defense and he played lights out. If Bo has freshmen on the sideline that can play, get them in there. I would much rather flush this season down the toilet and have a chance next year the pissing both down our legs.

Without question, recruiting is where Bo has failed....

Saturday night you saw his players, his scheme and his numbers, 653 is even above Clowna hans worst. 8 Freshman starting, one a second teamer on the defense and he played lights out. If Bo has freshmen on the sideline that can play, get them in there. I would much rather flush this season down the toilet and have a chance next year the pissing both down our legs.

Without question, recruiting is where Bo has failed....

His schemes suck too if he doesn't have NFL caliber linemen like he did at LSU and Suh

Exactly!

There is no question the responsibility for the defense falls on Bo, but the guy didn't just forget how to coach defense. His scheme works, he has proved that for years now. I think where Bo has failed is on the recruiting front. He has missed on some of his defensive guys his first few classes, that fact is showing it's head now. I will give Bo some credit though, because it seems that he is on his way to fixing the issues with better recruiting. This last years class seems to have better athletes.

In my opinion Bo is a fantastic coach, and a great defensive mind. Where Bo, and Saban are seperated is in the fact that Saban CAN afford to miss on some recruits, whereas Bo CAN"T.... And he clearly has....

a bad coach with good players will do better than a good coach with bad players...i think its recruiting. period, hopefully that is getting fixed with these new recruits we are seeing come in

I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves. UCLA could be a very good team. I know there are problems in the D-Line, but they could be repaired by Rome, Williams, and others. I guess I am tired of hearing about how bad things are, thks Pason Peter, and feel we could be OK when the B1G comes calling. The sky is not falling.

UCLA is not a good team. NU gave up more yards to UCLA than Rice!

After calming for a few days myself, here is my take. Obviously Bo was spoiled over his first 3 years with his "scheme"-which by the way, just gets way too much attention. He had Suh, then had 3 NFL'ers in the secondary. Then last year the cupboard ran dry a bit. Not just by losing senior talent, but by injuries as well. I think inexperience and injuries were enough excuses to let Bo be stubborn a bit this offseason with his schemes and personell, but now that it's obvious that it's just not working with this group, I truly believe we'll see some changes in both phases. With young LB's practicing with the ones and his comment "I know how to fix it" and his presser the other day "I know what I'm doing" sounds like he's pretty adament that he sees whats going on as well. He's not stupid folks. Everyone on here preaches away like we're the only ones that sees these problems. I think were gonna see some shakeups in personell and x's and o's starting saturday. Arkansas St. isnt exactly a gimme, but we have 2 games here to do some experimenting.

Exactly!

Spot on Knapp........ Last year and now this year the mine numbing loses are really making my gears grind.