Voter Fraud

BTW- here is my recent experience with a voter registration assistance effort very near our local University. A table, manned by two people (upper 40's low 50's-about my age) setup across the the street from the school and by the entrance to a Chipotle restaurant I frequent. It is clearly labelled as a place to get assistance to register to vote and also part of a pro-Obama "get out the vote" initiative. No problem, good for them. But, I stopped and asked them if they would help me get registered if I wanted to vote for Romney. I was polite and asked my question in a friendly manner with a smile on my face. Yes, I was baiting them but, I really thought I would just get some good natured ribbing and possibly a few smart-ass comments. I can't exactly recall what all was hurled my way but it was definitely not anything bordering on friendly disagreement. these people were seriously upset and highly vocal about it and another person (a student I think) joined in their verbal assault on me. It took me by surprise so I just kept moving on to my vehicle and left. I won't claim this indicates anything about anyone other than the 3 people who were being asses.

A story my son just relayed to me 2 days ago; A student athlete at the high school my son just graduated from missed the bus to a sporting event. the coach (my sons coach from previous years) asked my son to give this boy a ride to the event so he would be able to compete and not miss it. My son agrees to give him a ride and picks him at the school. IMO, doing this boy a huge favor. The boy is black, my son is white. In traffic, they see a vehicle in front of them with a Nobama bumper sticker. I guess the boy goes off on a little tangent about what an idiot that guy is and how only a moron would vote for Romney. My son informs him that he intends to vote for Romney and that he doesn't like Obama. The boy replies with "f#*k you, what are you some kind of racist?" I realize this is anecdotal and secondhand to boot but, my son has no reason to make this up or embellish it if this is not what happened. He said the rest of drive was very quiet. I told him he should have dumped his ass on the side of the road.

Sorry, just felt like telling a couple stories.

When I voted in the primaries I walked in, told them my name and address, and they asked me which party's ballot I wanted (in Nebraska, Independents can vote on several different ballots). I asked them if they needed to see my ID, and they said no. I don't know why I don't remember this, because I literally vote every time I can, but it struck me as odd that I didn't have to verify who I am to vote.

I see that this is a necessary thing. We should have to show ID to vote.

But that ID should be free. It should not be a barrier to voting. That's all I'm saying.

When I voted in the primaries I walked in, told them my name and address, and they asked me which party's ballot I wanted (in Nebraska, Independents can vote on several different ballots). I asked them if they needed to see my ID, and they said no. I don't know why I don't remember this, because I literally vote every time I can, but it struck me as odd that I didn't have to verify who I am to vote.

I see that this is a necessary thing. We should have to show ID to vote.

But that ID should be free. It should not be a barrier to voting. That's all I'm saying.

I fully agree. That's kind of concerning that anyone could have been voting a ballot intended for you. Maybe they recognized the name from Huskerboard, were awestruck, and afraid to question you....

Seems to be another thing we can thank the Bush Republicans for...

Want to invade Iraq --> direct CIA to find evidence of WMD --> flimsy evidence --> invade anyway --> long, costly distraction from the real threat of al-Qaeda

Want to make it disproportionately harder for Democrats to vote --> direct justice dept to investigate fraud --> no evidence of fraud --> implement voter ID anyway --> distraction from the real threat (to democracy) of long poll lines and inaccurate vote counting

You're not going to win this way.

The problem with making ID mandatory is it costs money in every state. Making it a poll tax.

And like it has been shown time and again, it just does not happen.

We need to be encouraging everyone to vote, not making hoops to jump through to actually vote.

I sort of agree with this. I don't want to create hoops or cost for ID either and I want to encourage voting but how else do you propose that we can effectively ensure that only legal citizens are able to vote? I think that is equally important.

TL;DR - I think we can all agree that a requirement for photo ID is a fine idea so long as it's easily available well in advance of elections and it's free.

Agreed. They need to have meaningful discussions about this and set a date a couple years down the road for it to go live. There would be a hell of a lot less complaining if the current round of laws weren't being crammed in right before an election.

TL;DR - I think we can all agree that a requirement for photo ID is a fine idea so long as it's easily available well in advance of elections and it's free.

Who could disagree with that?

As an aside, I went to renew my drivers license yesterday and was totally surprised I needed to show 2 additional pieces of id with my address on it and they WOULD NOT accept my current license. She said they had no proof that someone might have just handed it to me outside. I responded what a coincidence that it just happened to have MY picture on it................but she was unfazed.

I have not read all of the posts, but I saw a few from the first page.

yeah, making sure Obama doesn't get the illegals vote sure seems to piss off a few people. Some say the issue isn't a problem because there isn't any evidence. That may be, but then again Obama did give illegals amnesty, correct?

The evidence isn't in the past, it is in the now, and what will happen. If you don't think it will happen after Obama allows illegals to stay then you are serious naive.

If you don't think it will happen after Obama allows illegals to stay then you are serious naive.

If you don't think that the illegals will be allowed to stay no matter who is elected president . . . you are seriously naive. Logistically, there's not really an alternative.

Besides . . . even Reagan gave them amnesty. Nothing new here.

• Fire 3