*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

Really good article about a revered UNL journalism teacher loved by many of his students both past and present who now may be denied tenure.

http://www.omaha.com...by-unl-students

The reason was lack of scholarly articles? Seems like that would be easy to fix for a journalism prof. Then again, I don't know much about the process.

• Fire 1

Bought "Band of Brothers" set of DVDs a while back. Just started watching it. I saw maybe a third of it before when it aired on HBO. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing. I just finished reading a bio of Dick Winters a few months back, which I think will provide a new perspective.

Bought "Band of Brothers" set of DVDs a while back. Just started watching it. I saw maybe a third of it before when it aired on HBO. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing. I just finished reading a bio of Dick Winters a few months back, which I think will provide a new perspective.

Good stuff. My parents got me the bluray box set of BOB and The Pacific a couple Christmases ago. Watched all of BOB but only got a few episodes into The Pacific before life and general depression set in. The Pacific definitely isn't as "cheery" as Band of Brothers, just everyone dying it seems like.

I've read Ambrose's book, which I like, and Beyond Band of Brothers which was also good. Beyond had some leadership lesson I tried to take to heart and offers a great perspective from Major Winters . Might have to go back and read it again to refresh my memory.

• Fire 1

Good stuff. My parents got me the bluray box set of BOB and The Pacific a couple Christmases ago. Watched all of BOB but only got a few episodes into The Pacific before life and general depression set in. The Pacific definitely isn't as "cheery" as Band of Brothers, just everyone dying it seems like.

I've read Ambrose's book, which I like, and Beyond Band of Brothers which was also good. Beyond had some leadership lesson I tried to take to heart and offers a great perspective from Major Winters . Might have to go back and read it again to refresh my memory.

I haven't read Ambrose's book, or Beyond. I read "Biggest Brother: The Life Of Major Dick Winters". It was a good read. Just finished the first of 6 DVD discs tonight.

Really good article about a revered UNL journalism teacher loved by many of his students both past and present who now may be denied tenure.

The reason was lack of scholarly articles? Seems like that would be easy to fix for a journalism prof. Then again, I don't know much about the process.

Supposedly? I just took that he was denied by 4 of his colleagues apparently? Jealousy? He sounds like an amazing teacher. I really hope UNL retains him. Sounds like any school is going to be lucky to have him as an instructor.

Supposedly? I just took that he was denied by 4 of his colleagues apparently? Jealousy? He sounds like an amazing teacher. I really hope UNL retains him. Sounds like any school is going to be lucky to have him as an instructor.

Yeah, even though I don't know much about the process of tenure I can see how petty politics and jealously could creep in. I hope UNL keeps the guy. And I hope he gets his tenure.

I always thought it was weird that universities don't seem to value teaching oriented profs as much as research oriented profs. Sure, the research guys pull in grant money. But teaching is what a university is all about, isn't it?

Actually, no, universities are not about teaching. It's big business and they're about money.

Based on the teaching skills, or lack thereof, in some of the grad students who taught my labs, I agree.

• Fire 1

Well, to be fair to grad students, they are nothing more than indentured servants. I fully agree that plenty of them don't try or care, but they are also often putting in twice as many hours as anyone else around since they are usually doing classes, research, and teaching labs. Many of them also work, since they certainly don't get paid enough money to live on. I put them in a different category than professors that have no teaching skills whatsoever - in my mind it's excusable in grad students, but not in professors.

Keep in mind also, though, that I firmly believe 90% of the people that come out of the university system are clueless fu#*$ that shouldn't be doing anything but handing out fries at McDonald's. Being in grad school (for something science related, at least) used to mean something a handful of decades ago - now it means absolutely nothing, except that you're an indentured servant. Nearly anyone can get in somewhere, and that means the majority of the people you meet calling themselves grad students are f'ing idiots.