*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

More complexity means more to fail and go wrong. Hakka's are great snow tires, as are Blizzaks, but they're all you could need unless you're doing some serious travel through steep and treacherous snows. If you require something more, no doubt you're driving something that can properly utilize tire chains. So I don't see the point.

More complexity means more to fail and go wrong. Hakka's are great snow tires, as are Blizzaks, but they're all you could need unless you're doing some serious travel through steep and treacherous snows. If you require something more, no doubt you're driving something that can properly utilize tire chains. So I don't see the point.

It doesn't actually have to be very complex, more complex than a non-studded tire but not all that complicated. Some kind of piezoelectric material to push the studs out and wiring is all it would take, you could tie it into the tire pressure sensors and you've got everything you need. Of course the actual engineering would be pretty complex, but the assembled system could be pretty basic.

Because tire pressure sensors are reliable...lol. C'mon, in order to make it reliable on a hard wear and tear item like tires (hello potholes and curbs), you're going to have to engineer the sh#t out of it, if it could even be done. This isn't something sitting in the engine bay of the car. So the price is going to be jacked way up in that case, which brings us to the question of, "Why spend so much on tires I don't need?" There's no reason for them to even exist other than a technological demo that might work reliably. Might.

Because tire pressure sensors are reliable...lol. C'mon, in order to make it reliable on a hard wear and tear item like tires (hello potholes and curbs), you're going to have to engineer the sh#t out of it, if it could even be done. This isn't something sitting in the engine bay of the car. So the price is going to be jacked way up in that case, which brings us to the question of, "Why spend so much on tires I don't need?" There's no reason for them to even exist other than a technological demo that might work reliably. Might.

Tire pressure sensors have other issues that aren't necessarily going to overlap with this type of item, not to mention they're not all created equal anyways. I read another article that said a US company had this idea a few years back but went bankrupt, so yes it's going to cost an arm and a leg (all new technologies do). But at the same time there's always a fool out there that will pay for something. Maybe they would rather spend a couple seconds deploying this than getting out of the vehicle to put chains on. This thing is just a demo at this point, but I think it's a pretty interesting idea.

The point about tire sensors is that any technology in something taking as much abuse as your average tire is going to be quite failure prone unless you're using very expensive materials coupled with very expensive engineering and research. While not all tire sensor issues are related to this (such as battery failure), plenty of them are. And while you can diffuse research and engineering costs over time, you can't diffuse material costs, and you can only partly diffuse additional production costs.

I also find the product interesting, but pointless nonetheless. I don't think a handful of lazy idiots buying a product they don't need qualifies something as a worthwhile product. And most people that are out in areas actually needing something like chains are not lazy. I just don't see any merit in this beyond, "Hey look, spikes come out of the tires! Whee!!"

Dlivery Pal coming to Omaha:

Many restaurants just don't want to mess with delivery, and that's the way it should be, he said.

"They should be focusing on what they do best—making the food—and we'll do what we do best and deliver it."

Customers will place the order through the soon-to-launch iOS app [they hope to launch an Android app soon after] and drivers will simply pick up the food for them.

They're still working out pricing, but want to make a commitment to have enough drivers that wait times aren't long. They plan on having multiple drivers near UNO for the pilot and Nguyen said the jobs would be well-suited for a student with flexible hours.

"They could be studying or watching TV, receive an order through the app, go get it, deliver it and be back home within 20 minutes," he said.