*** HB Misc Topic bullsh#t Thread ***

At least 40 shot and four killed in a night of Chicago gun violence
By Rich McKay   AUGUST 5, 2018 / 11:18 PM / UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO 

(Reuters) - At least 40 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend during the seven hours from midnight Saturday to early Sunday morning, with four fatalities,  

LINK

40 shootings?  That's crazy.  

People that back in to a parking space annoy me. They never back in straight the first time, so they go back and forth trying to get lined up properly. All that hassle, then it doesn't really save more than a second when you are pulling out to leave. Is there a logic behind doing this?

12 minutes ago, Ulty said:

People that back in to a parking space annoy me. They never back in straight the first time, so they go back and forth trying to get lined up properly. All that hassle, then it doesn't really save more than a second when you are pulling out to leave. Is there a logic behind doing this?

Agreed.  Although it might make sense if you're parking at a ball game or someplace where you can't get out of your spot if you are backing out. 

But it's okay for farmers to back into their stall.  Because they can skillfully back a vehicle up.  Women, however, should be strictly forbidden from attempting it.      

:D

Last night my 8-year-old asked me whether I thought he would be good enough to play pro soccer someday.  (He's good, but the odds are pretty minuscule of that happening.  Of course I didn't tell him that.  lol)  I told him that it's pretty tough competition, but he might play college ball or even make the pros someday if he keeps practicing and improving. 

Then I told him the story of Ameer Abdullah.  About how Abdullah had been a great high school running back in Alabama.  But all the best FBS schools who were recruiting him wanted him to play defense instead of RB.  Except for the Huskers.  Nebraska told him they'd let him play running back, which is what he wanted to play.  His first year at Nebraska he was buried on the RB depth chart.  So he got on the field as a true freshman by trying out for the kickoff returner position.  He worked out like crazy, and studied film of the great Husker kickoff and punt returners.  He picked up the jump move from Johnny Rodgers.  And his freshman year he became one of the best kickoff returners in Nebraska history.  He racked up just over a 1,000 yards between kickoff returns, punt returns and rushing yards.  After his freshman year he got more carries as a RB.  He became our starter when the guy ahead of him got injured.  By the time he finished college he was our best running back.  But lots of people said he wouldn't last in the NFL where players are bigger and faster, and the competition is a lot more fierce.  Still, he got drafted pretty high (2nd round).  He's now in his fourth season in the NFL.  Pretty impressive considering only one college recruited him to be running back.    

I told my son that Ameer Abdullah is a great player because he works hard, he studies, and most importantly, he never gives up.  Then I showed him this youtube clip from the McNeese State game in 2014.  LINK

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Ulty said:

I do occasionally.  Or what works really slick is to pull forward through one stall to the empty stall on the other side so you can drive out forward instead of backing out.

The biggest deal is being able to see cross traffic and pedestrians when you're ready to leave.  It's a lot easier to do that driving forward than trying to back out.

5 things that can happen to your body when you stop drinking alcohol
By Gianluca Russo, BUSINESS INSIDER 

You might start to lose weight.

You might have clearer skin. 

You might sleep better.

Your liver will be healthier.

Your cancer risk can decrease.
LINK

Alcohol causes cancer??  Heh.  And here all this time I thought it killed cancer.  :wasted

• Plus1 1

According to an arrest report from the Ocoee Police Department, on Aug. 1 the boy went to use the restroom right by the entrance at the West Oaks Library. While standing in a locked stall, he said he saw a cellphone peering over the divider.  LINK

Oh man.  Another thing to watch out for.  :facepalm: