Santos and Cooper to split time at Weakside LB for Idaho St. game

Norhusker

I will take absolutely anybody on the field before Fisher. The kid is apparently super smart, but he is a dog crap LB.

You just can't be that tall and be an effective LB. I would know because I'm his height (taller actually) and you just cannot react and change direction very well. His height definitely works against him. I have no idea what his skill set is but it seems like some sort of receiver, tight end, defensive end, etc would have fit his body type better, given he add/drop a few pounds.

I will take absolutely anybody on the field before Fisher. The kid is apparently super smart, but he is a dog crap LB.

I think Fisher's height actually works against his lateral speed. Too bad he can't put on 30 lbs and stand up at end.

(and even if he's not as good as we'd like on the field, I really hate to see any of our guys working their butts off get labeled as "crap").

I'm sure he's just as frustrated himself it's not working out.

All measurables, injuries, etc. aside, I just don't see anything good happen from him on the field. The only positive thing he did all of last season was to hurt Braxton so we could beat the Buckeyes. He's just not aggressive whatsoever, not physical, and for how smart he is, it sure doesn't seem like he makes reads quickly enough either.

I remember when Fisher was first recruited and everybody raved about how his height would help him see over the O-Line and see what was happening in the backfield so he could make reads better, but that just never worked out. I think 99% of the hype was because of who his dad is.

Santos, Cooper to split time

With Anderson out from a torn ACL injury, it looks like Santos will get his opportunity. I was suprised that Cooper being a safety will be splliting time with him. I guess it just shows the lack of depth at that position. Whaley appears to have lost his starting position indefinitely. I feel bad for him, but his fundamentals have been horrible.

The good thing about this move is that we should have some speed and athleticism at this position if not much experience. This game is ideal for them to get some significant playing time before Wisconsin comes calling next week. I look forward to watching them. It will add some excitement in a game where we should roll.

I don't understand why Cooper isn't in the nickel role. He has the similar build to Hagg, and seems to have the necessary athleticism. Ciante Evans is doing a nice job at the nickel, but he seems undersized for the position....

Cooper is perfect for the "Dejon Gomes" dimeback role - not the Hagg role. IMO Harvey Jackson at Nickel "IE the "Hagg Role" and Cooper at Dime would be an elite combo.. Expecially with Stafford behind them (aka Larry Asante 2.0).

I have yet to figure out what is wrong with Ciante at the nickel. Harvey Jackson is a safety and will take over for PJ Smith or Stafford next year. I like what I see from him at the Safety spot too. He's been damn good in run support.

But Ciante has shown me a lot this year. Last year, he just didn't look very good, but the reviews he got through fall camp were that he is the most improved player on the team. I think that's an accurate statement based on what I've seen from him this year. He has been blanketing receivers the way that we got accustomed to seeing from Eric Hagg and Dejon Gomes. He leads the team in pass breakups so far, and I expect that to be the case at the end of the year also. Ciante has looked like a stud this year so far.

Santos, Cooper to split time

With Anderson out from a torn ACL injury, it looks like Santos will get his opportunity. I was suprised that Cooper being a safety will be splliting time with him. I guess it just shows the lack of depth at that position. Whaley appears to have lost his starting position indefinitely. I feel bad for him, but his fundamentals have been horrible.

The good thing about this move is that we should have some speed and athleticism at this position if not much experience. This game is ideal for them to get some significant playing time before Wisconsin comes calling next week. I look forward to watching them. It will add some excitement in a game where we should roll.

I don't understand why Cooper isn't in the nickel role. He has the similar build to Hagg, and seems to have the necessary athleticism. Ciante Evans is doing a nice job at the nickel, but he seems undersized for the position....

Cooper doesn't have the cover skills Evans has.

Which makes him far more suited to LB than S.

Ive eatched Cooper closely as i was huge on him when he signed here. Seeing him this year he is a bigger dude and has good speed for a LB. Hes too slow to be a corner or safetey i feel but he could be a great athlete for a LB. He isnt as fast or rangey as Gomes and no way could fill that role. Hes too big and not fast enough to cover receivers or slots.

David Santos had one play in coverage where he was beaten badly.

I'll have to go back, watch the game again, and find the exact play. But he was torched. Luckily the pass was incomplete. I'm hoping that he slipped or something and that was the reason why he trailing 5 yards behind the Idaho State receiver. Because if we have LBs who can be out ran by receivers from Idaho State.......

eyeswear2allthatsholy