Santos and Cooper to split time at Weakside LB for Idaho St. game

Norhusker

This whole "big conventional linebacker to stop the Big 10 power" thing is a little overblown. I know I keep repeating it but it is. Didnt Lavonted clean house last year at 215 or so. Speed still kills. I think this is a good move with Cooper. If we have this much depth at DB, then we gotta find a way for them guys to get on the field, even if it means switching to a makeshift dime or nickel at all times.

+1 Completely agree.

• Fire 1

Steven M. Sipple@HuskerExtraSip

Els on Whaley: "After that UCLA game, he came to me and said, 'Coach, that's not my style of game.' Is one of the younger guys ready to go?"

Els told Whaley a year ago he loved him as a person but couldn't stand what he was doing as a player. Whaley has since done a 180.

The #Huskers secondary has made big strides from a year ago, Els said. As for the front seven? It lacks dynamic athleticism, he said.

True frosh LB Thomas Brown very likely would have played this season if not for a high-ankle sprain, Els said. "He can flat out run."

Pretty impressive maturity by Whaley to want the team to win even at his own expense.

Santos, Cooper to split time

With Anderson out from a torn ACL injury, it looks like Santos will get his opportunity. I was suprised that Cooper being a safety will be splliting time with him. I guess it just shows the lack of depth at that position. Whaley appears to have lost his starting position indefinitely. I feel bad for him, but his fundamentals have been horrible.

The good thing about this move is that we should have some speed and athleticism at this position if not much experience. This game is ideal for them to get some significant playing time before Wisconsin comes calling next week. I look forward to watching them. It will add some excitement in a game where we should roll.

I don't understand why Cooper isn't in the nickel role. He has the similar build to Hagg, and seems to have the necessary athleticism. Ciante Evans is doing a nice job at the nickel, but he seems undersized for the position....

Cooper doesn't have the cover skills Evans has.

Cooper is a big dude as well. Evans is playing well however.

This whole "big conventional linebacker to stop the Big 10 power" thing is a little overblown. I know I keep repeating it but it is. Didnt Lavonted clean house last year at 215 or so. Speed still kills. I think this is a good move with Cooper. If we have this much depth at DB, then we gotta find a way for them guys to get on the field, even if it means switching to a makeshift dime or nickel at all times.

+1 Completely agree.

If you have speed and you can tackle well like Lavonte....I'd take a LB like him over a bigger/slower LB any day of the week....even in the BIG10.

The youth movement is not ideal because it makes you worry about our older guys.. but if we're going to do it, do it against teams like Idaho State.

I agree with a previous poster that Cooper strikes me as a safety/linebacker hyrbid role... He cant handle speed of WR's but I would rather have him out there than Waley or Fisher.

I don't understand. What is there to worry about with the older guys?

I will take absolutely anybody on the field before Fisher. The kid is apparently super smart, but he is a dog crap LB.

I think Fisher's height actually works against his lateral speed. Too bad he can't put on 30 lbs and stand up at end.

(and even if he's not as good as we'd like on the field, I really hate to see any of our guys working their butts off get labeled as "crap").

I'm sure he's just as frustrated himself it's not working out.

I will take absolutely anybody on the field before Fisher. The kid is apparently super smart, but he is a dog crap LB.

I think Fisher's height actually works against his lateral speed. Too bad he can't put on 30 lbs and stand up at end.

(and even if he's not as good as we'd like on the field, I really hate to see any of our guys working their butts off get labeled as "crap").

I'm sure he's just as frustrated himself it's not working out.

I think the coaches messed this one up from the get go! Should have put weight on him and made him an end or moved him to tight end! Who knows, he coulda made a hell of a safety!

Santos, Cooper to split time

With Anderson out from a torn ACL injury, it looks like Santos will get his opportunity. I was suprised that Cooper being a safety will be splliting time with him. I guess it just shows the lack of depth at that position. Whaley appears to have lost his starting position indefinitely. I feel bad for him, but his fundamentals have been horrible.

The good thing about this move is that we should have some speed and athleticism at this position if not much experience. This game is ideal for them to get some significant playing time before Wisconsin comes calling next week. I look forward to watching them. It will add some excitement in a game where we should roll.

I don't understand why Cooper isn't in the nickel role. He has the similar build to Hagg, and seems to have the necessary athleticism. Ciante Evans is doing a nice job at the nickel, but he seems undersized for the position....

Cooper is perfect for the "Dejon Gomes" dimeback role - not the Hagg role. IMO Harvey Jackson at Nickel "IE the "Hagg Role" and Cooper at Dime would be an elite combo.. Expecially with Stafford behind them (aka Larry Asante 2.0).